Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #27917

No chance to

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Thanks Wayne. I don't know a lot about ATS and while the manuals say replace it when traced to where we are now... the guy said - well anyone could have written that... he seems to think that there is some some something that is part of switch that went out and not the entire switch. But whatever that is - is beyond his scope. I believe he is correct but I guess we shall see.. hopefully when he wires her up - we will have 120.

No chance to speak to the factory guy today I guess. Does the dealer have a tech help desk?
taffrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #27918

Quote:
Reddimg --- Morning - and I'm not sure you came to the right place for intelligent reading.

EEEK AND WHAT THE HEY

So midnight last night - rain - a big pow wakes me - a transformer blew - that has last us without 120. Tech has proofed everything up to transfer switch - power on the incoming side - nothing on the other side.

We can't find any other fuses or breakers to test and and EMS display not lit. He thinks there is a another fuse and doesn't believe the transfer swith is bad and yet... so he is going to by pass the ATS taking the generator offline - and getting 120 to the coach. This is all past the breakers and fuses so it is "safe" and will work until someone with more specific knowledge can look at it. Seems right to me and I have followed the lines with the guy and looked at schematics at it appears a sound solution for a Sunday.

Of course Annie is not pleased - but I'm of the opinion that we go this route rather than play generator tag today and until - the real solution is found. Any other ideas mutants...

So a transformer blew.... And it caused rv problems? Is that correct? Would this be equivalent to a transformer blowing and losing elec in a house? Squirrels cause ours to blow a lot... Stupid rodents like to run the wires......

So you have power to only half of rv? This might be dumb... But what if you switch to your generator? What kind of power do you get.... All or half....

Either way... Of course it happens on a weekend.....

Diane toftSFM#64....... (The Original Fast Talking Sliding Finger Mutant) and is retired, duh!
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #27919

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by taffrail View Post
No chance to speak to the factory guy today I guess. Does the dealer have a tech help desk?
Fleetwood has a great help desk and treats me as if I were the original owner of a new American Coach instead of 2nd owner of a '08 Bounder. But you are correct sir... Sunday Sunday Sunday!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #27920

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
So a transformer blew.... And it caused rv problems? Is that correct? Would this be equivalent to a transformer blowing and losing elec in a house? Squirrels cause ours to blow a lot... Stupid rodents like to run the wires......

So you have power to only half of rv? This might be dumb... But what if you switch to your generator? What kind of power do you get.... All or half....

Either way... Of course it happens on a weekend.....

Diane toftSFM#64....... (The Original Fast Talking Sliding Finger Mutant) and is retired, duh!
A good amount of rain between 8 and midnight when the transformer blew. The pow woke me and since I had the fridge on AC only the beep let me know the 120 was out. Got up - looked around and no 120. Not even the ropus lightus which are on a 20 amp separate line.

I went outside and the a truck pulled up - it was the weekend manager. The electric company said transformer blew. So I think OK - inverter all will be well in the morning... nope...

So there was one lyrics power on inverter or generator - but nothing from the shore - even thought the Voltage Controller was lit and the PI PC50 were saying everything was ok.

We are now on shore 120 to whole house but by way of bypassing the Transfer Switch. The tech gave me the names of a couple guys that should be a able to solve the real puzzle. He thinks a board or fuse that controls or protects the transfer is out and not the swith. But he concedes - it may be a 1 piece system. Either way he didn't the part or parts but got us back in business.

First time in 15 years or so that Annie reminded me of a wet cat... Welcome to the FT Rainbow...
Old 12-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #27921

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well the guy is gone now... and things are getting back to normal - except in order to get Annie to calm down - I had to move fast and - and sit on the bed...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1417987843162.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	80698  
Old 12-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #27922

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
A good amount of rain between 8 and midnight when the transformer blew. The pow woke me and since I had the fridge on AC only the beep let me know the 120 was out. Got up - looked around and no 120. Not even the ropus lightus which are on a 20 amp separate line.
The horror of no ropus lightus! That just cracks me up!
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #27923

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
The horror of no ropus lightus! That just cracks me up!
Can you imagine... being awakened by a loud boom. Rupping the sleep from your eyes only to discover - no ropeus lightus.. and 14 hours later the wife goes missing...
Old 12-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #27924

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Can you imagine... being awakened by a loud boom. Rupping the sleep from your eyes only to discover - no ropeus lightus.. and 14 hours later the wife goes missing...
You still sitting on that bed???
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #27925
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
So a transformer blew.... And it caused rv problems? Is that correct? Would this be equivalent to a transformer blowing and losing elec in a house?A TRANSFORMER IS A TRANSFORMER IS A TRANSFORMER. SORT OF LIKE A ROSE. Squirrels cause ours to blow a lot... Stupid rodents like to run the wires......

So you have power to only half of rv? This might be dumb... But what if you switch to your generator? What kind of power do you get..GENERATOR POWER.. All or half..WHATEVER IT IS PUTTING OUT..

Either way... Of course it happens on a weekend...OF COURSE..

Quote:
Well the guy is gone now... and things are getting back to normal - except in order to get Annie to calm down - I had to move fast and - and sit on the bed...
I hope you put her feet in first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
You still sitting on that bed???
If he is, he's dead meat! That comes under the heading of put your wife and your dog in the trunk of a car, come back in 1 hour and see which one is happy to see you.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #27926

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

If he is, he's dead meat! That comes under the heading of put your wife and your dog in the trunk of a car, come back in 1 hour and see which one is happy to see you.
Ya know Annie... she actually climbed in there and called me to come look... even when she has a head ache and the power is out... always in reasonable spirits... wet cat or not... lol.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #27927

Hey Steve, Sorry to hear about your probs. Our ATS went bad just before we left for Rockport. The fact that the genie kept all systems going led me (with Don's help) to suspect the transfer switch. Sure enough, the shore power relay was toast, probably from a surge just when I had'nt used the protector. Bought another ATS from Amazon and fitted it inside an hour.

Now, for our current problem. We just got parked up inside CW ready for an appointment tomorrow for a fix to the defective awning. All leveled up and slides out and what do I see - a crack in the windshield. Ho Hum.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #27928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

Dang it dear W.... I know nothing bout electriCITY...... Just how to cook with it...... But just thought that if it all worked on goneratir that it was not something blown in the coach.... Hoping.... So Steve doesnt have to pay for mother nature..... Oh well.... Thats what insurance is for.....

On the way home got obsessed with the wind turbines after watching a driver back one of those 100 + feet blades up in a truck stop..... They make them in LR, one of only 8 companies (LM)... Watched for them all the way home... Yes I am easily entertained......

Btw. How are you feeling now?

Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #27929

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
Hey Steve, Sorry to hear about your probs. Our ATS went bad just before we left for Rockport. The fact that the genie kept all systems going led me (with Don's help) to suspect the transfer switch. Sure enough, the shore power relay was toast, probably from a surge just when I had'nt used the protector. Bought another ATS from Amazon and fitted it inside an hour.

Now, for our current problem. We just got parked up inside CW ready for an appointment tomorrow for a fix to the defective awning. All leveled up and slides out and what do I see - a crack in the windshield. Ho Hum.
Uh oh... soorrryy to hear that...

We will hopefully have an answer in a day or two. At least we have power. The head scratcher is the Power Master VC50 and PI SP should have stopped things in their tracks. Maybe it was it a weird wired coinkidink. ..
Old 12-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #27930

Hey Steve,

One thing to have them look for is a blown fuse in the inverter, there should be two deep inside that protect the inverter itself, I had a blown one last September on a Saturday but thankfully there was a truck shop open that had seen this problem before.

Cheers !!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote