Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #36919
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm not sure if I'll have time to answer any post about me, but I do want to post an email that Earlene has sent to a few Mutants. It's been one of those days.

From Earlene:
"This was anything but a Happy Mother's Day for me beginning around 8:30 this morning when one of my worst nightmares occurred. Miya and I were barely 5 minutes into our neighborhood walk when a pit bull came across the street and attacked her. No matter how tough our girl is, she is no match for the jaws of a pit. She tried to hold her own to begin with before the pit grasped her shoulder, very close to her neck. I was beating on the dog and screaming for help and lousy horrible people just kept driving by. I had the pit's collar in my left hand, trying to pull him away and after what seemed like minutes, he loosened his hold, and he and I tumbled to the ground. And on the ground I stayed, holding the dog's collar for dear life while Miya stood against me panting with exhaustion. Finally, a good soul named Jose stopped his truck and came to help me. By then, the pit was pretty docile and standing peacefully by me. Jose, my fearless hero, took the dog by the collar, and I examined Miya. Under all the slobber, I found not one injury. There was blood but it was mine from a puncture most likely caused from a tooth on her collar. A call to 911 from this hysterical woman produced a patrolman maybe 5-10 minutes later. Meanwhile Jose had tied this dog to his truck. Long story shortened a bit - the unchipped, untagged dog was taken away by Animal Control. Then we get to the damage. After I went home and showered, I found that bending or breathing deeply were causing pain in my left side, the side that I fell on with the pit bull. A trip to the ER found a fractured rib, a few scrapes, and some bruises. So I'm going to have to put away the Fitbit (it tattles if I register less than 7,000 steps a day) and take it easy for a while. I just pray that I get over my fear and when my rib heals I can take my girl back on our walkways again. I still cry when I think of the people who drove on by when I was screaming for help. Above all, I thank God for Jose."

We spent several hours in the ER. I think she is going to have more bruises tomorrow.

My very good friend and veterinarian came over. he did find a small puncture would but most of the damage was pulling the skin away from the body. Miya is a sore puppy also. She may have gotten a piece of the pitbull, or he may have been in another fight somewhere else along the streets.

One of our pet peeves is people who let their animals run off leash. I don't care where you are. Dogs are dogs. They can look at one another and set off a fight. If they are not leashed or tethered, as harmless as they may be, one never knows what is going to happen when they approach each other.

At least here in Texas City there is a law and if the owners are found, they and the dog will be in the police files.

Please, if anyone thinks it is alright to let their dogs run loose, please reconsider. It's not fair to the majority that do leash their animals.

And the culprit is:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pitbull.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	93953  
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2015, 09:52 PM   #36920

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I'm not sure if I'll have time to answer any post about me, but I do want to post an email that Earlene has sent to a few Mutants. It's been one of those days.

From Earlene:
"This was anything but a Happy Mother's Day for me beginning around 8:30 this morning when one of my worst nightmares occurred. Miya and I were barely 5 minutes into our neighborhood walk when a pit bull came across the street and attacked her. No matter how tough our girl is, she is no match for the jaws of a pit. She tried to hold her own to begin with before the pit grasped her shoulder, very close to her neck. I was beating on the dog and screaming for help and lousy horrible people just kept driving by. I had the pit's collar in my left hand, trying to pull him away and after what seemed like minutes, he loosened his hold, and he and I tumbled to the ground. And on the ground I stayed, holding the dog's collar for dear life while Miya stood against me panting with exhaustion. Finally, a good soul named Jose stopped his truck and came to help me. By then, the pit was pretty docile and standing peacefully by me. Jose, my fearless hero, took the dog by the collar, and I examined Miya. Under all the slobber, I found not one injury. There was blood but it was mine from a puncture most likely caused from a tooth on her collar. A call to 911 from this hysterical woman produced a patrolman maybe 5-10 minutes later. Meanwhile Jose had tied this dog to his truck. Long story shortened a bit - the unchipped, untagged dog was taken away by Animal Control. Then we get to the damage. After I went home and showered, I found that bending or breathing deeply were causing pain in my left side, the side that I fell on with the pit bull. A trip to the ER found a fractured rib, a few scrapes, and some bruises. So I'm going to have to put away the Fitbit (it tattles if I register less than 7,000 steps a day) and take it easy for a while. I just pray that I get over my fear and when my rib heals I can take my girl back on our walkways again. I still cry when I think of the people who drove on by when I was screaming for help. Above all, I thank God for Jose."

We spent several hours in the ER. I think she is going to have more bruises tomorrow.

My very good friend and veterinarian came over. he did find a small puncture would but most of the damage was pulling the skin away from the body. Miya is a sore puppy also. She may have gotten a piece of the pitbull, or he may have been in another fight somewhere else along the streets.

One of our pet peeves is people who let their animals run off leash. I don't care where you are. Dogs are dogs. They can look at one another and set off a fight. If they are not leashed or tethered, as harmless as they may be, one never knows what is going to happen when they approach each other.

At least here in Texas City there is a law and if the owners are found, they and the dog will be in the police files.

Please, if anyone thinks it is alright to let their dogs run loose, please reconsider. It's not fair to the majority that do leash their animals.

And the culprit is:
O M G

Unreal. I sure wish Earlene quick recoveries. I was in shock reading it.

When I was in FL in April I wound up being chased on my bicycle by a bunch of little dogs and when I went to dodge them I wound up going head over the handlebars and got all banged up. Still got a sore wrist over that.

I can't believe what you described though, that is really horrible and I totally agree, dogs are dogs and they need to be under some kind of control. And I've had dogs all through my life so I have nothing against them. Even owned a doberman at one point, one of my most favorite dogs ever, was so gentle, slept and played with a cat, etc.

Again, please give my best to Earlene and many Ohmmmms for recovery. Wow...
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:59 PM   #36921

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:

From Earlene:

And the culprit is:
I hope they find out who the dog belongs to. They should be responsible for the ER bills too. The dog will be quarantined for awhile too. Healing ohmms!

Happiness isn't the destination but the journey along the way!
geocacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:01 PM   #36922
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbnBarb View Post
Mornin Mutes and Happy Mothers Day to al you beautiful Mom's out there.

Barb thanks and yes Kaylee won here in Texas and your right bout the level of competition. During the awards ceremony they spoke to the fact that Texas has by far the largest number of participants in US Gymnastics in the country, so much so that there are Regions with several states that don't match Texas alone for competitors.

Les that's great bout your grand! She is preparing no doubt for her full ride someday at the school of her choice. Love to hear academic success stories....but she may break the bank before she is done!

Wayne with Garry's funeral, gym meets and bad weather for the last ten days we haven't had time to plan a trip yet. How is the weather down there? We would love to get away from here cause we are starting to grow webbed feet! It's poring down here right now and my rain gauge shows 1 1/2" already since it started this morning. That makes 6 1/2 " for the last week. Don't want to come down and watch it rain there too!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Herb, it's Texas! If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes. However, the weather man said 60% rain here for the next 4-5 days but he said next week would be nice - who know in Texas what next week will bring. But hey! We are dry in the house - and you know Earlene will make something "sweet" for you.

By the way, Happy Mother's Day Herb - you too Barb.

And all the other Mother's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiamtns View Post
Nice picture. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Herb,

Di showed us an app for her phone called RadarScope. It's a one time cost of $9.99 but so very worth it when you are in tornado alley. It's available for Apple and Android phones. Barb will thank you for having this one!
RadarScope is well worth the money. When i added all the "add-ons" it totaled $31 - well worth it for the "Pro."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
O M G

Unreal. I sure wish Earlene quick recoveries. I was in shock reading it.

When I was in FL in April I wound up being chased on my bicycle by a bunch of little dogs and when I went to dodge them I wound up going head over the handlebars and got all banged up. Still got a sore wrist over that.

I can't believe what you described though, that is really horrible and I totally agree, dogs are dogs and they need to be under some kind of control. And I've had dogs all through my life so I have nothing against them. Even owned a doberman at one point, one of my most favorite dogs ever, was so gentle, slept and played with a cat, etc.

Again, please give my best to Earlene and many Ohmmmms for recovery. Wow...
I'll pass it on Carl, but she does read this thread religiously. (Don't talk about me, okay.)
Old 05-10-2015, 10:41 PM   #36923
MPH

Earlene, what a horrific thing for you and Miya to experience! I was stunned as I read the story. You and Miya are in our thoughts and prayers! Speedy recovery to you both, physically and emotionally.

Hugs

Mel & Kate
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:50 PM   #36924

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Earlene, I think we are all proud of you for what you did. Remind me to never get on your bad side. Miya was in good hands and your motherly protective instinct kicked in full force. Atta go Marine.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:25 PM   #36925

Dearest Earlene, we are so happy you and Miya are safe now. Might I suggest you carry pepper or bear spray when you walk.

I am so happy we are not in Denton, TX this year. We were there just before CL last year for a couple of weeks, it sure looks different today.
Be safe out there mutants.
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:57 AM   #36926

Fleetwood Owners Club
Earlene as I'm usually one to add a funny note on all occasions I truly found myself speechless while reading your and Miya's ordeal. Hope for quick recovery for both of you.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:36 AM   #36927

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Was just thinking about you...
Are you and Bob going to focus much of your time at Bryce on flying. I can't imagine he would be satisfied by lugging mutants up one afternoon and calling it quits. Lol.

Just starting to organize thoughts around Jeeping, Flying, Cooking, Maybe a Chile Coofoff, etc... lots to see and do up there - including Tim and Dave (maybe 2 Daves) lead us in singing cowboy songs.

https://youtu.be/hgvl8sQdQuQ
He mostly flies Sun up for an hour or so and again a couple hours or so before sun down. It is calmest then. Me, I don't need to go more than once or so with him....Hoping to let as many want to go as can....
Old 05-11-2015, 03:45 AM   #36928

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oh! Earlene... That is so bad. I do hope you recover quickly, and you are back on the trails soon with confidence.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:59 AM   #36929

Quote:

From Earlene:

And the culprit is:
I Am So Sorry This Happened To YOU Just Please Remember Its The Owner NOT The Breed. And I hope you still love jade.

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:41 AM   #36930

R U an RV Mutant too?

Earlene and Miya, we love you. Please get well soon.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:45 AM   #36931

Quote:

From Earlene:

And the culprit is:

I read this last night and replied to E, but glad to know the vet friend checked out Miya too....
Ohms again today...

Diane toftSFM#64....... (The Original Fast Talking Sliding Finger Mutant) and is retired, duh!
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:19 AM   #36932
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geocacher View Post
I hope they find out who the dog belongs to. They should be responsible for the ER bills too. The dog will be quarantined for awhile too. Healing ohmms!
Thanks Deb. Nice thing about ER is we don't have any bills. Walk in and walk out. Most likely that is why they keep us there so long - low people on the totem pole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJeep View Post
Dearest Earlene, we are so happy you and Miya are safe now. Might I suggest you carry pepper or bear spray when you walk.

I am so happy we are not in Denton, TX this year. We were there just before CL last year for a couple of weeks, it sure looks different today.
Be safe out there mutants.
Jeff, there is controversy regarding carrying pepper sprat. Bottom line is that it may just make the animal mad as heck and then they continue the attack. I know if it were me I'd get mad! Hee hee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Earlene as I'm usually one to add a funny note on all occasions I truly found myself speechless while reading your and Miya's ordeal. Hope for quick recovery for both of you.
Tim, Earlene was making mewing sounds reading all the good vibes from people. When she got to you're post she became real quiet. I think she was waiting for the shoe to drop.

Just kidding. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne & Shara View Post
I Am So Sorry This Happened To YOU Just Please Remember Its The Owner NOT The Breed. And I hope you still love jade.
Dwayne, Only mentioned the breed once because we didn't know what the name of the dog was. I didn't want to call it Lassie. All the research indicates what you have said except when it comes to other animals. This dog was docile as soon as he was pulled away from Miya. The passerby, Jose, was able to take his collar and walk him over to a safer spot to secure him. Animal control led him to his truck, opened the cage door, bent down and picked him up with no trouble at all. Give jade a hug for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
I read this last night and replied to E, but glad to know the vet friend checked out Miya too....
Ohms again today...

Diane toftSFM#64....... (The Original Fast Talking Sliding Finger Mutant) and is retired, duh!
He made a house call. How's that for service. Put Miya on Cephalexin (sp) for 3 days as a preventative.