RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2017, 12:28 PM   #66935

Before I forget (again!), I should tell y'all that today is ... wait for it ...

World Lindy Hop Day!

Have a great day!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2017, 02:28 PM   #66936
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
I've done quite a bit of research thus far, mainly on dpreview.com (seems to be very thorough site).

And I understand the costs involved, that's why I'm staying away from things like the Nikon D5, the Sony Alpha A9, all very highly rated but way over what I'm willing to spend (both of those are over $5k just for the body). But I'm also not looking for sub-$1k cameras either.

Alan's point was good to stay away from the higher-cost full frame cameras and that's part of my decision conundrum, each have pluses and minuses.
I would never get an upscale camera that does not have the ability to change lenses. However, I typically buy a 50-55 - 200 zoom lens to meet my needs. I also stay with the manufacture lenses even though there are other cheaper lenses. The off-brand lenses tend to have a barrel affect whereas the MFG lenses do not.

If I were to buy a new camera it would have GPS capabilities. Since we started traveling again (2007) I have over 37,000 photos. (yes, 3 zeros) and only those taken with the newer iPhone has locations associated with them. Quite a task in cataloging without GPS.

WiFi would be nice but it is definitely not a necessity. I have never had a problem plugging in a USB cable to a camera to upload my pictures, but then I don't use "The Cloud" for that purpose. I prefer to keep all my pictures on a couple different drives, or even DVD's.

There are also some Geotagging programs for the iPhone/Androids with photo linkers. I'm exploring those options now.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #66937

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I would never get an upscale camera that does not have the ability to change lenses. However, I typically buy a 50-55 - 200 zoom lens to meet my needs. I also stay with the manufacture lenses even though there are other cheaper lenses. The off-brand lenses tend to have a barrel affect whereas the MFG lenses do not.

If I were to buy a new camera it would have GPS capabilities. Since we started traveling again (2007) I have over 37,000 photos. (yes, 3 zeros) and only those taken with the newer iPhone has locations associated with them. Quite a task in cataloging without GPS.

WiFi would be nice but it is definitely not a necessity. I have never had a problem plugging in a USB cable to a camera to upload my pictures, but then I don't use "The Cloud" for that purpose. I prefer to keep all my pictures on a couple different drives, or even DVD's.

There are also some Geotagging programs for the iPhone/Androids with photo linkers. I'm exploring those options now.
Thanks for the feedback Wayne. It's good to hear others experiences as well and your usage would be similar to mine.

I also checked out the Fuji's after #2 sent his feedback. They have some very fast cameras. Still undecided but it's good to think on something expensive. My main motivation is to have something prior to the RVMooning trip so I'll have even better pics than in the past with phone cameras.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:36 PM   #66938

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I should add that it's not just better than a phone camera, but something that meets my desires to get more involved in photography like I was in the past. Way back in the day, I even developed some of my own film Glad that went the way of the dodo bird ...

(too bad Kodak didn't realize it till too late)
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:38 PM   #66939

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
Before I forget (again!), I should tell y'all that today is ... wait for it ...

World Lindy Hop Day!

Have a great day!

Well, I had to go look that one up... looks a bit complicated... but fun.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:24 PM   #66940
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Marcia!! Hope your special day is wonderful1

And if you are do one to the Lindy Hop.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:25 PM   #66941
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
I should add that it's not just better than a phone camera, but something that meets my desires to get more involved in photography like I was in the past. Way back in the day, I even developed some of my own film Glad that went the way of the dodo bird ...

(too bad Kodak didn't realize it till too late)
Carl sent you a PM.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:26 PM   #66942

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

Wayne - you just hit on something that I was pondering... If I don't have a laptop, I'm going need another way to get firmware updates on my camera.

I have their remote camera control app and Bluetooth to Bluetooth for transfer pics from camera to phone. But I need to look into that cause I'm behind on firmware.

As for other brand lenses- I had some very sharp and fast Sigma and Tokina lenses. But these were 35mm and top of their line in 2000. I'm pretty sure optical glass comes from a limited number of manufactures and by 2000 computer manufacture of lenses was pretty mature. Just my experience. And it was all Canon EOS mount. If they had a Fujifilm mount I wouldn't think twice about picking one up for mine. Next lense for me is 100 - 400 4.5 -5.6 Fuji x mount. Also water resistant.

Much of what goes into pro level cameras is in body construction. Titanium - or not pro like mine of Magnisium Alloy - or just high impact plastic etc.

Carl - did ya notice on the Fuji camera preset modes of Velvia and Provia. I shot those all the time. It's a good start for a digital pic. Mine doesn't shoot raw.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:30 PM   #66943

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Well, I had to go look that one up... looks a bit complicated... but fun.
Even I am not an old enough mutant to remember The Lindy firsthand, so I know you aren't! Aren't the videos fun, though? They wear me out watching!

Cheers!
Old 05-26-2017, 03:31 PM   #66944

Vintage RV Owners Club
Lot's of footwork.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:55 PM   #66945

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Had stop short on the camera post cause it's bath time for Bonita...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170526_134323.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	163125  
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:40 PM   #66946

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
We've been counting on coming over too. Hope there's room at the table. Tell 'em to put the extra leaves in!

Cheers!
We'd love to see you folks again.
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:52 PM   #66947

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Had stop short on the camera post cause it's bath time for Bonita...

Looks like Ed to me. Did he surf?

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:09 PM   #66948

R U an RV Mutant too?

Have a grand Memorial Day, folks.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5121.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	163155

https://davenola.blogspot.com/