RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #68685

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geocacher View Post
Those going into Washington State needs to be aware of the new inattentive driving law that goes into effect this Sunday.

what-you-need-to-know-about-washingtons-new-distracted-driving-law

Secondary offensives include drinking, eating or having a dog in your lap. Since it's a secondary, they won't stop you just for those but if they can cite you for something else, then you're in trouble. You can't even do this things while stopped at a signal.
Can I blink my eyes at least? Gob't gone amuck...

And it's not that I'm against distracted driving laws, but when they get down to the point of saying you can't take a sip from a cup in a cup holder designed into the vehicle you're driving, well, what about the radio controls, reaching for the wiper control or turn signal or overhead fans, all those things are "distractions" in their world. It's too intrusive. And what really gets my goat is those same "gob't officials", be they law makers or enforcers, they're the ones always going down the road, yapping away and speeding (at least around here they do). Do as we say, not as we do. When did I used to hear that???
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2017, 08:19 PM   #68686

First day in Rocky Mountain National Park

Entered the northeast entrance of RMNP and took the old road instead of the new one. What a treat to the eyes. One way traffic, switchbacks galore, massive dropoffs 3 feet off the road's edge. Wonderful --- really was.

Going back into the park tomorrow to take a loop or two we missed.

Pictures (I hope) are of: snow melt fed stream coming down the hillside, same stream upstream from first pic, mule deer, young tree clinging to life growing out of a massive rock, snow fields near the 11,700 feet elevation, valley view looking back at where we came from.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1300.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	474.4 KB
ID:	169482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1305.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	463.6 KB
ID:	169483  

Name:	IMG_1316.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	169484   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1326.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	736.0 KB
ID:	169485  

Name:	IMG_1334.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	383.0 KB
ID:	169487   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1339.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	169489  

Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:24 PM   #68687

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawto5 View Post
Entered the northeast entrance of RMNP and took the old road instead of the new one. What a treat to the eyes. One way traffic, switchbacks galore, massive dropoffs 3 feet off the road's edge. Wonderful --- really was.

Going back into the park tomorrow to take a loop or two we missed.

Pictures (I hope) are of: snow melt fed stream coming down the hillside, same stream upstream from first pic, mule deer, young tree clinging to life growing out of a massive rock, snow fields near the 11,700 feet elevation, valley view looking back at where we came from.
Nice pics. I see snow yet again, how cool is the weather where you are at?
Old 07-20-2017, 08:35 PM   #68688

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
Nice pics. I see snow yet again, how cool is the weather where you are at?
Estes Park is sitting at 7,500 feet. Highs have been in the low 80's. In the RMNP, temps got down to 58 - 65. We had a gorgeous day to be driving thru a natural wonder.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:47 PM   #68689

Found a must visit campground today

RV resort alert

Exiting RMNP at its southwest entrance. Commercial establishments have nestled close to the park. We found a campground with FHU, good sized lots, shade, horse back riding, and immediate access to the park. It's $52 a night (compared to $89+ in Estes Park). It's a 20 minute drive to nearest town of Grand Lake. It's about 2 - 4 hours to Estes Park by going through the park at a slow roll. CG calls itself the "family reunion destination". Could be Grand Curiosity choice down the line. Can't be more remote that Idanha.

BTW, the Colorado River headwaters flows next to the CG and you can wade across the Colorado River.

Here tis: Winding River Resort, Grand Lake, CO., 970-627-3215

Put the CG and RMNP on your bucket list. 3 -4 days would be perfect for a visit.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #68690

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

And it's not that I'm against distracted driving laws, but when they get down to the point of saying you can't take a sip from a cup in a cup holder designed into the vehicle you're driving, well, what about the radio controls, reaching for the wiper control or turn signal or overhead fans, all those things are "distractions" in their world. It's too intrusive. And what really gets my goat is those same "gob't officials", be they law makers or enforcers, they're the ones always going down the road, yapping away and speeding (at least around here they do). Do as we say, not as we do. When did I used to hear that???
I have very similar reactions. And we drive a lot in that state.

Happiness isn't the destination but the journey along the way!
geocacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:53 PM   #68691

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
A little late posting but he enjoyed every bite. There is still a little left overs.
Birthday Dinner = Blueberry BBQ Ribs - full order.

Name:	Dales BD Dinner 2017.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	169497

Happiness isn't the destination but the journey along the way!
geocacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #68692

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
A little late posting but he enjoyed every bite. There is still a little left overs.
Birthday Dinner = Blueberry BBQ Ribs - full order.

Attachment 169497
That'll do it! Looks mutantlicious...!
So right now, my hot spot is in the Wilson Sleek for the first time in practical use. Played with it before we went full time, but this time I need it. Look at the signal strength in the pic... but look at the forecast. Not too shabby!

So trees are blocking my dome... And no OTA and for some reason I'm not getting satellite from the park and should be. After trying both of my cables and reversing them both - no joy. Will investigate tomorrow.

In the meantime, pulled out some music and doing just fine with the tunes. So... We made a change in our plans and are going to be here this week, and moving to

Deerwood RV Park
35059 Seav*ey Loop Rd
Eugene, OR 97405
3 Nights 7/27 - 29

Then to
Harborview Inn and RV Park
302 S 7th*St
Garibaldi, OR*
4 nights 7/30 - 8/2

Then to
Lincoln City KOA
5298 Northeast Park Lane
Otis, OR 97368
2 nights 8/3 - 8/4

Then to
Silver Sp*ur RV
12622 Sil*verton Rd NE
Silverton, OR 97381*
4 nights 8/5 - 8/8

Then back to Idanha on the 9th - to the 3Oth. We will probably still keep the 27th as our c/o. Depends on how we head back toward Az. Laurie was great with changing us from a month and week+ to one month, and applied our 1 week payment toward the monthly rate, even though it's split.

So it's getting cool out and I'm heading in. If the connection isn't too spotty, I'll check back later.

Be happy and safe mutants!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:29 PM   #68693

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The pic...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20170720-210453.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	169504  
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:41 PM   #68694
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

Well, even as a secondary if they see it they'll probably find a reason to pull you over. Now consider that at a specific time of day the driver has to take medicine, so DW/DH gets the pills, hand then to the driver, driver pops them in his mouth and DW hands him a cup of water. Officer sees that and find reason to pull them over.

Yep, agreed! I don't like distracted drivers but getting a drink of water out of my "tippy" cup is not a distraction. I can do it and keep my eyes on the road. One exception is putting it back in the holder. Takes about 1/2 second to glance and move automatically to the return position. Since I maintain at least 4 seconds interval I feel pretty safe.

Guess I'll have to get a military camel backpack and run the straw up to beside my mouth. Hmmm!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:32 AM   #68695
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Those going into Washington State needs to be aware of the new inattentive driving law that goes into effect this Sunday.

what-you-need-to-know-about-washingtons-new-distracted-driving-law

Secondary offensives include drinking, eating or having a dog in your lap. Since it's a secondary, they won't stop you just for those but if they can cite you for something else, then you're in trouble. You can't even do this things while stopped at a signal.
I'm in SO much trouble if I get stopped! Can we start a Go Fund Me account for my bail money, now?

Let's see --

Dog in lap - check
Drinking while driving - check (water)
iPad on lap -- check, but only consulted at stoplights for directions
Not wearing driving glasses - check
Monkey on shoulders - maybe I'll get an animal person for my arresting officer who will have sympathy for me.

I've seen billboards about using a cell phone, but since I don't watch TV or listen to the news, the others are a surprise. Blissful ignorance won't save me. Thanks Deb!

And in my own defense, I can read street signs without glasses. I made the mistake of going to America's Best for a quick visual acuity test that had to be signed by an eye doctor before I could renew my SD driver's license online. They are the eye exam and 2 pairs of glasses for $69.95 chain. The light level in their exam rooms was not at the correct level and I tested 20/30 and 20/50. I know they rig it so you test that you need glasses, when you don't. Then they have 6 frames for the cheap glasses and 300 for a HUGE upcharge. One of my previous careers was as a dispensing optician so I know the tricks.

I'm going thru SD in the fall on my way to the Arkansas GC. I'll bet that on the state's machines I'll pass the eye exam. I'll gladly pay for a duplicate driver's license to have that restriction removed. It's a conspiracy against old people!!

Why am I not wearing the glasses I bought? Sena can destroy a pair of glasses in 30 seconds flat. I've even quit wearing sunglasses because she has trashed so many pairs. But, the lenses put into my eyes during cataract surgery have UV protection built in so I'm not risking blindness.

And that's all I have to say about that!
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:55 AM   #68696
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Steve and Mary Ann -- gorgeous pics!

Steve and Annie -- what are you doing dragging the hot weather from elsewhere to to Idanha??? 90 is HOT by PNW standards. Glad to see it will be cooling off next week. The hottest temperature in our 10 day forecast is 80* on Monday.

BTW I checked out the Siver Spur CG when I was scouting for GC sites. If daytrips aren't the reason you're staying there I'd suggest skipping it. Their website pictures don't give you much of the true nature of the place. It's mostly a crowded parking lot.

Deb -- Dale looks SO contented!

Ed -- I'll add breakfast with Sheba to the GC list.

Carl -- Amen! I agree with you about the gob't!
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:02 AM   #68697

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
The pic...
Hmmmm, those temps get down there at night. Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I'm in SO much trouble if I get stopped! Can we start a Go Fund Me account for my bail money, now?

Let's see --

Dog in lap - check
Drinking while driving - check (water)
iPad on lap -- check, but only consulted at stoplights for directions
Not wearing driving glasses - check
Monkey on shoulders - maybe I'll get an animal person for my arresting officer who will have sympathy for me.
No no no, you need to say "I've had this monkey on my back for so long, I can't get rid of it!!!" LOL
Old 07-21-2017, 07:20 AM   #68698

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mysteries solved!
Closer look at NM tax laws, no tax on groceries! Both places we purchased food and snackes. Which it looks like I may not need the "driving snacks" when I get to Washington.

And I thought it was cause I was an Arkie.