Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2017, 11:18 AM   #69245

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yay! it's fixed... and the fuel pump was fine, was the wires to it I believe is what he just told me! Those were fast Ohmmms! Gonna grab from the virtual basket of Ohmms Quicker next time rather than getting worked up about it!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #69246

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
So much to do... busy, busy, busy, and waiting, waiting, waiting...
Monday night, went in the Jeep to go pick up the car I drove to go pick up the motor home... mile and a half down the road, it died on the road in a no passing zone with barriers on the sides of the road and very little shoulder, We attempted to push it as far off the road as we could, then I realized, well, can't get the motor home in that tight spot to hook it up... but a nice younfg man towed it to a level parking lot for us... ( Bob was walking back home because we haven't put jumper cables in it yet...) so Tuesday AM we went and got practice holling it up and unhooking it with the motor Home...and towed it to the Jeep sales /service lot... waiting to hear it's fixed and ready to roll... Some reason no power was getting to the fuel pump, and so they couldn't tell yesterday if the fuel pump was shot or not... so.... Hopefully, it'll get fixed today... Gosh, I haven't had nerves this bad in awhile... breathe ... it'll all work out just as it is intended to according to my higher power.... maybe not the way I'd like it to, but it will work out... another deep breath.... blow it out slowly.... Ommmmm.....
Yes Marty, breathe. I feel your pain. We've never in our mutant lives made as many camping reservations as we have on this venture. Seems that we magically picked locations that expected a swarm of RVers. All stops along the way seemed to require reservations to guarantee a place for our MH.

Most recent - - - - we spent the morning making reservations for Reno. We ended up with 2 different campgrounds for 2 nights each. Seems that Reno is celebrating "Hot August Nights", a classic car show that draws folks from everywhere. Possible campgrounds kept evaporating and evaporating as they said "sorry, we're booked for days on end". We lucked out to find what we did.

Reserved Bend/Three Sisters Garden RV Resort for the night of the 14th (after a 7+ hour drive from Reno + or - 400 miles). THEN it's Idanha on the 15th. Woot woot......
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:30 AM   #69247
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Summer time travel is the worst because all the kids are out of school and rv'ing with Mom and Dad. Come the end of August, first of September the go back to school and things open up a bit

I usually start calling around the day before travel in the summer time. School year time we have called when on the road and just a few hours out.

Also, back in 2008 with the big $$crash RV spots were a dime a dozen. Now with a stronger economy everyone is getting on the RV band wagon.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:53 AM   #69248

OH, on a financial note. . . . . . . . Perhaps a learning moment for my friends. We had to replace 6 tires on the motor home yesterday. I stopped for fuel at a Flying J in Scipio, UT. A young employee I talked to about DEF availability said to me "you need to get those front tires looked at. They are showing very unusual wear. Might be air pressure. There's a great truck tire place across the road".

So I went across the road and asked the owner to check my tire pressures. They were "up to snuff" as I figured. He said, however, "Are those the correct tires called for on this chassis?" So we looked at the sticker behind the driver's seat of the coach and sure enough - - - wrong size tires on the coach. It had 70's and the chassis calls for 80's. There's about a 2 - 2 1/2 inch height difference in the two sizes. He said, "I've seen this before. Someone sold you what they had not what you needed". Yep, 2 years ago in Utah, road service had to be called for a wore rear tire. He changed the rear by using a front tire. He said he had 2 matching tires in the shop and he'd put them on the front. Got that done.

We traveled to Seattle on the same trip and decided to change the rears so that tire ages/mileage were similar all the way around. Tire store matched up the rears to what he read on the new front tires rather than checking to see what the chassis needed. YEP, wrong size again. Ignorant me didn't know the difference.

Back to yesterday, the young owner of the truck tire shop explained to me the problems he's seen with chassis having the wrong size tires. "On a motor home, the alignment is set for a particular sized tire. On a motor home, the jacks/leveling system is set for a particular sized tire. Both of your front are showing ply separations AND irregular wear patterns. Air bags can be adversely affected by not getting the proper tire support for the chassis."

SO, I now have 6 new tires of the proper size. Tires actually fit the wheel wells much better. The ride is smoother. Peace of mind is enriched. Wallet significantly affected. Learn muties learn. For some of you you're saying, "duh Steve, that's not new information to me" LOL
Old 08-09-2017, 12:21 PM   #69249

Oh.... ohms, mihms, tohms.... we are headed out the door for a CT scan... the dang pill camera is still in Larrys stomach, so that will mean another hospital stay for it to be retrieved....... darn, darn darn...
Ohms needed again....
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:09 PM   #69250

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawto5 View Post
OH, on a financial note. . . . . . . . Perhaps a learning moment for my friends. We had to replace 6 tires on the motor home yesterday. I stopped for fuel at a Flying J in Scipio, UT. A young employee I talked to about DEF availability said to me "you need to get those front tires looked at. They are showing very unusual wear. Might be air pressure. There's a great truck tire place across the road".

So I went across the road and asked the owner to check my tire pressures. They were "up to snuff" as I figured. He said, however, "Are those the correct tires called for on this chassis?" So we looked at the sticker behind the driver's seat of the coach and sure enough - - - wrong size tires on the coach. It had 70's and the chassis calls for 80's. There's about a 2 - 2 1/2 inch height difference in the two sizes. He said, "I've seen this before. Someone sold you what they had not what you needed". Yep, 2 years ago in Utah, road service had to be called for a wore rear tire. He changed the rear by using a front tire. He said he had 2 matching tires in the shop and he'd put them on the front. Got that done.

We traveled to Seattle on the same trip and decided to change the rears so that tire ages/mileage were similar all the way around. Tire store matched up the rears to what he read on the new front tires rather than checking to see what the chassis needed. YEP, wrong size again. Ignorant me didn't know the difference.

Back to yesterday, the young owner of the truck tire shop explained to me the problems he's seen with chassis having the wrong size tires. "On a motor home, the alignment is set for a particular sized tire. On a motor home, the jacks/leveling system is set for a particular sized tire. Both of your front are showing ply separations AND irregular wear patterns. Air bags can be adversely affected by not getting the proper tire support for the chassis."

SO, I now have 6 new tires of the proper size. Tires actually fit the wheel wells much better. The ride is smoother. Peace of mind is enriched. Wallet significantly affected. Learn muties learn. For some of you you're saying, "duh Steve, that's not new information to me" LOL
As I read this, I thought, oh man, Steve is getting taken in. Then when you described the issue, wow, what a PITA. As much as I sort of know what I'd replace my tires with (same thing), what I didn't know was how tires are matched specific to a chassis. Interesting. Glad you guys are squared away, tires are NOT something that you want going wrong on you in these beasts. What brand did you go with?

And Marty - sorry to hear of that issue but before I could respond you already have it fixed! Yeah! That's my biggest fear now, I'm going to be ready to take off on Friday evening and then the RV won't start or the slide I have out won't go in or something tragic like that!
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #69251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
Oh.... ohms, mihms, tohms.... we are headed out the door for a CT scan... the dang pill camera is still in Larrys stomach, so that will mean another hospital stay for it to be retrieved....... darn, darn darn...
Ohms needed again....
Continued Ohmmmsss for you both.. Gotta get all this done before the October RV NLR Urban curiosity...

Richard & "Queen" Ann, RVM # 110.. .. 2019 Coach House 26' .... Our Chihuahua T.T. lets us serve her in Arkansas.. lol
romin roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #69252

Quote:
Ohms needed again....
You and Larry are always in our thoughts and prayers. Ohms for a favorable and successful retrieval of the mini camera.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:42 PM   #69253

Yea... pill has decided to move after 2 weeks in his tummy.... great news.... ohms received...
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:39 PM   #69254

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Yea... pill has decided to move after 2 weeks in his tummy.... great news.... ohms received...
His stomach must have a small outlet or it's tipped up at a weird angle or something... tight curve in there or something... glad it's on the move!
Old 08-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #69255

Vintage RV Owners Club
Every time I want get the time and am ready to head out to go Run the plug out to the MotorHome and take the vacuum out there to give it a whirl... it starts pouring...LOL! So I'm inside filling my tubs that I use for sorting and staging things to go out there. It's all falling into place one little bit at a time.

My towing check off list has 20 steps , Barb! I wanted an even number, and didn't want to forget my hairpin cotter pins so those are separate from the bent tow pins removal, replacement steps.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:31 PM   #69256

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Every time I want get the time and am ready to head out to go Run the plug out to the MotorHome and take the vacuum out there to give it a whirl... it starts pouring...LOL! So I'm inside filling my tubs that I use for sorting and staging things to go out there. It's all falling into place one little bit at a time.

My towing check off list has 20 steps , Barb! I wanted an even number, and didn't want to forget my hairpin cotter pins so those are separate from the bent tow pins removal, replacement steps.
If you are not using locking pins, make sure you check the pins every time you pull out from someplace. I read too many stories of idiots pulling those things out!
Old 08-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #69257

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, it's on the list to get a lock for the tow bar...more needed?
Old 08-09-2017, 04:39 PM   #69258

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Well, it's on the list to get a lock for the tow bar...more needed?
There are two schools of camp on this - I lock both the tow bar and the pins that are on the car. Some don't like to do that in case of fire and they want to "save" their car. If there's a fire, I'm as far away from there as I can get, who cares about the car!