RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2018, 08:33 AM   #73123

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGrandma View Post
glad to hear you guys are okay. Did it ever get to tornado warnings?

Today we're supposed to get a little bit of what you had, potential tornado activity. A little unusual for January, but not unheard of. Everybody be safe and stay dry!
I'll answer that, yes there was warnings but I believe it had dropped back to a severe thunderstorm by the time it got to usins.

Seems we get a lot of storms coming up from TX created by a lot of hot air swirling down near the gulf. You know, the area where Wayne lives.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2018, 08:37 AM   #73124

Quote:
glad to hear you guys are okay. Did it ever get to tornado warnings?

Today we're supposed to get a little bit of what you had, potential tornado activity. A little unusual for January, but not unheard of. Everybody be safe and stay dry!
Cheers, and be safe yourself! I watched the radar a little nervously as the system approached our place. Haven't heard yet of any problems here.

See you tonight!
Old 01-22-2018, 08:49 AM   #73125

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
Cheers, and be safe yourself! I watched the radar a little nervously as the system approached our place. Haven't heard yet of any problems here.

See you tonight!
I know this is gonna sound wierd and maybe morbid. But I love tornadoes. When we lived in South Dakota, had my first brush with one, and ever since, I've wished I could be a tornado chaser. Now, don't misunderstand; I love the weather phenomenon, not the devastation it causes.

So where we live, its like we're in a tornado flyover zone. They've developed all around us, little ones and big ones, but none close enough for me to see from my house. And Allen doesn't want me out there chasing them down, I get why, but if it wasn't for his insistence, I would be with some tornado lovers, out glued to my windshield and radar this morning.

Instead, I'll watch Twister with all the lights off.

Charlene
RVM#169 | Charlene & Allen | Rig: 1989 Rockwood Prestige 32' Class A, "Clora Mae" | John Deere Chassis/Ford 460 engine. Blog: Disc Golf Duffers
RetroGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:10 AM   #73126

Quote:
I know this is gonna sound wierd and maybe morbid. But I love tornadoes. When we lived in South Dakota, had my first brush with one, and ever since, I've wished I could be a tornado chaser. Now, don't misunderstand; I love the weather phenomenon, not the devastation it causes.

So where we live, its like we're in a tornado flyover zone. They've developed all around us, little ones and big ones, but none close enough for me to see from my house. And Allen doesn't want me out there chasing them down, I get why, but if it wasn't for his insistence, I would be with some tornado lovers, out glued to my windshield and radar this morning.

Instead, I'll watch Twister with all the lights off.

Charlene

It's the science part that fascinates me as well..... yep, in another age, I might have been a storm tracker as well
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:23 AM   #73127

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
It's the science part that fascinates me as well..... yep, in another age, I might have been a storm tracker as well
YES. All the elements that have to come together to even produce a tornado. Green sky makes me excited.

I think I must've taken 4 rolls of film of just cloud formations back then. They're nothing like the clouds in the high plains like that. You get these huge anvil formations, those are my favorite. I haven't seen any like that down here in Illinois, maybe because of the Mississippi? Not sure, don't know the science well enough. But come March through May, I'm glued to the weather channel.
RVM#169 | Charlene & Allen | Rig: 1989 Rockwood Prestige 32' Class A, "Clora Mae" | John Deere Chassis/Ford 460 engine. Blog: Disc Golf Duffers
Old 01-22-2018, 10:48 AM   #73128

Quote:
YES. All the elements that have to come together to even produce a tornado. Green sky makes me excited.

I think I must've taken 4 rolls of film of just cloud formations back then. They're nothing like the clouds in the high plains like that. You get these huge anvil formations, those are my favorite. I haven't seen any like that down here in Illinois, maybe because of the Mississippi? Not sure, don't know the science well enough. But come March through May, I'm glued to the weather channel.

Yup! Love to watch big power storms. The smell of ozone makes me very excited!

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:54 AM   #73129

Vintage RV Owners Club
So I got a question about RVs and tornadoes. If there's a tornado warning, where do you go? Do you head for the nearest Walmart? The bathrooms at the campground? A ditch? (We had to do that once! A tornado in Oklahoma when we were in a highway.)
Old 01-22-2018, 11:29 AM   #73130

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
So I got a question about RVs and tornadoes. If there's a tornado warning, where do you go? Do you head for the nearest Walmart? The bathrooms at the campground? A ditch? (We had to do that once! A tornado in Oklahoma when we were in a highway.)
The basement!

Ok, so you don't have a basement then any building will be better than a RV with thin walls and tied down only with a water hose and slinky. When we're hosting we go around telling folks during a storm the bathrooms and showers are converted to a storm shelters. Take your family in one together. We've mete some really nice folks while hanging out in the bathroom. More than once I've heard ladies comment on how clean the men's room is, followed by comments to the husband, why can't you keep the ones at home clean!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #73131

Quote:
While traversing 69 in Michigan headed towards Flint we had to hole up in an overpass just outside of Lapeer. A MST was up under there and his car was sitting roadside with its emergency lights flashing. We parked down in the median (his directions) and then went up and joined the party that consisted of about 15 people anxiously awaiting the destruction of their vehicles. Never got to see the funnel but the winds were wild.
Wandersabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:52 AM   #73132

Monaco Owners Club
We just got back from a two day get away down to Astoria Oregon. It was not the ideal time for going there but we went to look at a Motorhome. It turned out to be a swamp creature(duped by creative picture taking) but we had a nice little getaway as a result.
The weather was partially nice but a storm blew in causing huge waves on the coast.
We started to do the trip back down the Olympic Peninsula but drove over to Olympia Washington and stayed the night. The next morning we were going to do the rest of the trip but there was very heavy rain and high winds so we heard the ferries to the mainland would most likely not be running. We did the trip back through Tacoma Seattle and to our amazement it was nice weather through there.
Come spring time we will definitely explore that area again.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:14 PM   #73133
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
"If you're in your car on the road when a tornado is approaching, hiding under an overpass is your safest bet." (NOT)

MYTH

This is probably the worst tornado myth. Taking shelter under an overpass is one of the most dangerous things you can do when a tornado is approaching. The reason has to do with the way the tornado's winds could potentially interact with the bridge structure. At the very least, taking shelter under an overpass puts you at a higher elevation with no protection from debris and winds. The Norman, Oklahoma Weather Service office compiled a presentation on the topic after the May 3, 1999 tornado outbreak, which can be viewed here. More on tornado safety here.

Taken from: Tornado Fact Vs. Myth

Not trying to get anyone's underwear in a knot - just want facts out there. Many old wives tales are true. but many are just myths.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:11 PM   #73134

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
"If you're in your car on the road when a tornado is approaching, hiding under an overpass is your safest bet." (NOT)

MYTH

This is probably the worst tornado myth. Taking shelter under an overpass is one of the most dangerous things you can do when a tornado is approaching. The reason has to do with the way the tornado's winds could potentially interact with the bridge structure. At the very least, taking shelter under an overpass puts you at a higher elevation with no protection from debris and winds. The Norman, Oklahoma Weather Service office compiled a presentation on the topic after the May 3, 1999 tornado outbreak, which can be viewed here. More on tornado safety here.

Taken from: Tornado Fact Vs. Myth

Not trying to get anyone's underwear in a knot - just want facts out there. Many old wives tales are true. but many are just myths.

Concerning hiding under an overpass I must agree with Wayne edit Wayne is right edit the people in OK know what they are talking about!

But it will protect you from the hail that accompanies a tornado, so hide under there till hail stops, then run out in the open so you can get sucked up like Dorothy, and Toto too.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #73135
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
I'll take one of them thar Tornado watches! Ohhhh wrong kinda watch! Dang!
So does that sorta watch rotate at a high speed on your wrist. Must make it hard to read the time. Or does it project the time up into the sky like the bat signal?
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:39 PM   #73136

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
So does that sorta watch rotate at a high speed on your wrist. Must make it hard to read the time. Or does it project the time up into the sky like the bat signal?
When your retired or mutated the only time that matters is when it is time to eat! I seen evidence of that at the GC in Idanha.

A Tornado Watch goes right along with the saying"Time Fly's".