RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #77617
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randm Musing View Post
NO!!!!!!

I think I created my first roof leak ever by trying to seal the bathroom skylight with duct tape.

It just does not hold under the weather conditions of an exposed surface.
You'll have to forgive Tim. Since your new here you probably don’t know that the only repair methods in Arkansas involve duct tape, zip ties and baling wire.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #77618
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey Bev! To seal the back of the camper shell you might consider adding a longer "skirt" to the bottom of the window. Something flexible that will hang down lower and cover the gap when the back window is closed. Heavy duty pond liner would be my first choice, but you might be able to cut some old truck tire size innertube into the shape you need. I'm thinking anything heavy weight and flexible will work.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #77619

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bev if you can post a picture of what your needing fixed. I have a shop, two Barns, storage building and car garage all full of junk. Otherwise known as complete inventory of the right thing for the job if I can only find it! I have been called a pack rat by friends, some that drop by for help with my Southern Engineering Skills!
Old 08-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #77620

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawto5 View Post
We're not hurt. Just aggravated.

12 miles from our destination in Knoxville, TN (near the convention center and the downtown Holiday Inn), our brand new little camper was assaulted by a driver that disregarded a red light and made a right turn into the side of our innocent camper. Our light turned green and 3 lanes of traffic (with us in the curb lane) started thru the intersection. A driver made a last minute stop and turn on red in front of us and the driver behind him thought that meant that their traffic light was green. He turned into our camper without stopping.

Dent on right front corner. Scrapes along the lower right side. Entry steps rendered useless. Right front stabilizer jack bent 45 degrees towards the back.

Driver ticketed for failure to have proof of insurance with him and for an illegal right turn. 2 groups of witnesses came back to support our story. Lucky us. They were great.

Could have been much worse. Grrrrrrrrrr though.
UhOh, looks like you new little home away from home has now been inaugurated in typical fashion. Sorry for your anguish... but hopefully it'll get fixed up fine.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #77621

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverlybrand View Post
It is fiberglass. Much thicker than they make stuff now-a-days. It took 2 tubes of silicone for the front of the cap. Less than half to seal the windows and a bit of the bottom. It has some sort of bonded finish, not paint. The tricky part is gonna be sealing the rear end. It does not fit quite right. Some alterations will be needed. Someone skilled with sawing a bit of aluminum, and then a lotta duct tape, and it will be good. It is drafty in the rear just now. Doesnt leak per se, but i think a bit of a draft is a good thing.
You won't this winter... nor when you go to Alaska...
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:42 PM   #77622

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
TUTUS AND TIARAS?
While my best friend was slogging her way through dance lessons and skating lessons and cooking classes, (of which I was secretly jealous,) instead, my folks wisely took all (5) of us camping.
I learned how to sleep in the fresh air, cook on a fire, bake bread in a dutch oven, properly season cast iron, how to keep flies and mosquitoes away without bug juice, catch various fish, how to lure various fish, operate and repair on the fly: an outboard motor, row a boat, operate a canoe, smoke meat on an open fire, play the harmonica, a multitude of folk, religious and camp songs - all sung in three-part harmony, water-ski, filet a fish, set up a tent, operate a white gas stove and lantern, chop wood, load a trunk, load a trailer, build a camping cupboard, roll up a sleeping bag, blow up an air mattress, build a fire 5 ways, start a fire 6 ways, how to camp with bears and other wildlife, how to pee in a coffee can, appreciate nature, stare at a wondrous landscape for hours, and eat lots of glorious food. I am sure the list is longer... what's on your list?
As my dear niece Staci once said, "Only you could figure out how to be camping all the time."
Just yesterday, I figured out how I became that camper, and will continue that, until...

Are you married??
Old 08-20-2018, 02:31 PM   #77623

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Oh no, Papaw Steve!, I’m glad you and Mary Ann are OK but your poor little cottage on wheels. is it still useable or will you have to cancel your plans? Whatever you do, DO NOT take it to Camping World for repair. I can find hundreds of horror stories about their service dePt. It sounds like your insurance may have to cover the cost if the guy who hit her doesn’t have insurance.

As always, Barb said it better than I. Hope all gets fixed better than new!

Richard & "Queen" Ann, RVM # 110.. .. 95 Minni Winnie 30' & 2012 ERA 24' (AKA Minni & Micro).... Our Chihuahua lets us serve her in Arkansas.. lol
romin roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:11 PM   #77624

Thanks Barb! I will look into that. Great suggestions. I am computer challenged, so i will have Dave post pics for me.
Beverlybrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:13 PM   #77625

Hey. I will have Dave post a pic or two for me. I also need to add a piece of metal, to either end of the locking mechanism, cuz it no longer reaches its mark.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:19 PM   #77626

Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
You won't this winter... nor when you go to Alaska...

I am no longer doing winter. I am a fresh air kinda gal, from Minnesota.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:21 PM   #77627

Married?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randm Musing View Post
Are you married??

Oh heck no. I gave that up when the last one broke the mold in '97.

*Snort!*
Old 08-20-2018, 03:23 PM   #77628

Quote:
Hey. I will have Dave post a pic or two for me. I also need to add a piece of metal, to either end of the locking mechanism, cuz it no longer reaches its mark.

Blup,
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1261.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	497.1 KB
ID:	215782
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1262.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	544.8 KB
ID:	215783

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:06 PM   #77629

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
So if the bottom flange below the glass in rear window was straighten out would the window shut completely then?
You will want a flange to hang over the tailgate to prevent water from seeping between top of tailgate and bottom of window. Not share from pics what aluminum you need cut?
Old 08-20-2018, 04:16 PM   #77630

The bottom corners of the topper rear window are bent, and I have not corrected them. Correction would not remedy the closing even a millimeter. It is the tailgate itself that is stopping the complete closure. Attached are pics, of the locking mechanism’s shortcoming and of where the tailgate meets the window.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0346.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	435.1 KB
ID:	215786Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0348.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	215787