RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-14-2019, 12:19 PM   #82461
Senior Member
 
Diwizi's Avatar


 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawto5 View Post
In my younger days, one of the most emotional things I did at Gettysburg was to walk the battlefield route of Pickett's charge. Starting at the Confederate position on the battlefield, I walked toward the positions held by the Union troops. Approximately a mile of marching towards the enemy over land that allowed only a couple of concealment from the enemy's guns. My thoughts have always turned to the question "what would I be doing when ordered to conduct a frontal attack on a heavily armed enemy?" Would I intentionally "lag behind"? Would I show proper levels of bravery at the shoulder of my comrades? The experience was bone-chilling.



The CD tour is a great suggestion. Pause at each highlighted position on the battlefield and try to envision the activities that transpired that particular day of the battle.



Another must see on your trip to Gettysburg is the site of the battle of Sharpsburg/Antietam (each side had a different name for it). This battle was a one day battle. The bloodiest day in the history of the Civil War. Again, visit each major battle position and envision what was going on that day. The cornfield, Antietam (Burnside)bridge, Dunker church, Bloody lane, artillery hell. The Union "victory" was enough to give Lincoln the courage to issue the Emancipation Proclamation. This battle was the site of Clara Barton's service to the wounded and dieing. Somewhere around 23,000 killed and wounded on this one day.



Being an ex history teacher, I was in my glory when experiencing what I had taught to hundreds of students over the years. My students learned what made up America's past.



Enjoy your trip.


Just reading your visualization made it special.... when I went it was quickly, too much so, but have done this on many many sites, to include my own hometown, Helena, Arkansas....
__________________
Diane & Larry, (RVM64) our Westies LitaBit & QTπ
(Diwizi)retired educator,watercolor artist / (Zeelarry)ARMY ret
2021 THOR Delano 24fb
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2019, 04:12 PM   #82462
Senior Member
 
Eez Moose's Avatar
 
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,821
Steve, (papa) I truly respect your position and would have truly enjoyed a history teacher of your caliber when in school. Being being you would have been three then I don't blame you for not showing up in our classroom. I have watched you regale the mutants around a few campfires and your zest for your job and your appreciation of the facts to be presented made me respect you even more as our friendship grew.



I feel for the kids nowadays who are taught by those putting in time til retirement. Di is also in your class and I am grateful for her students that she taught as many kids as she did.

See you this winter??
__________________
Dennis, Irene and Mizzie (The Incredible) living as Full Time RV Mutants #176
"Duchess" a 40 foot Newmar Dutch Star 4095 + "Duke" a GMC Terrain Towed
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:14 PM   #82463
Senior Member
 
Eez Moose's Avatar
 
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
Just reading your visualization made it special.... when I went it was quickly, too much so, but have done this on many many sites, to include my own hometown, Helena, Arkansas....
Di too bad you and Larry missed Idanha. Driver's Ed should be on the comedy network.
__________________
Dennis, Irene and Mizzie (The Incredible) living as Full Time RV Mutants #176
"Duchess" a 40 foot Newmar Dutch Star 4095 + "Duke" a GMC Terrain Towed
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:54 PM   #82464
Senior Member
 
PTJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,470
Wow I may not ever go to another FMCA rally these things are expensive, what with new awnings, new satellite and new tpms it's bone chilling ... lol ...
__________________
Jeff & Marcia .... RVM 39
2000 Beaver Patriot 425 Thunder 40'
2008 Jeep Wrangler X
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:55 PM   #82465
Senior Member
 
Dwayne & Shara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: on the rainbow
Posts: 1,551
Well we leave tomorrow have no idea what way we are going yet but it's going to be that way. LOL . Thinking hurts my head lately.
__________________
Time is life! money is just a tool. how much of your life is a tool worth?

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #82466
Senior Member
 
huntnski's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 9,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawto5 View Post
In my younger days, one of the most emotional things I did at Gettysburg was to walk the battlefield route of Pickett's charge. Starting at the Confederate position on the battlefield, I walked toward the positions held by the Union troops. Approximately a mile of marching towards the enemy over land that allowed only a couple of concealment from the enemy's guns. My thoughts have always turned to the question "what would I be doing when ordered to conduct a frontal attack on a heavily armed enemy?" Would I intentionally "lag behind"? Would I show proper levels of bravery at the shoulder of my comrades? The experience was bone-chilling.

The CD tour is a great suggestion. Pause at each highlighted position on the battlefield and try to envision the activities that transpired that particular day of the battle.

Another must see on your trip to Gettysburg is the site of the battle of Sharpsburg/Antietam (each side had a different name for it). This battle was a one day battle. The bloodiest day in the history of the Civil War. Again, visit each major battle position and envision what was going on that day. The cornfield, Antietam (Burnside)bridge, Dunker church, Bloody lane, artillery hell. The Union "victory" was enough to give Lincoln the courage to issue the Emancipation Proclamation. This battle was the site of Clara Barton's service to the wounded and dieing. Somewhere around 23,000 killed and wounded on this one day.

Being an ex history teacher, I was in my glory when experiencing what I had taught to hundreds of students over the years. My students learned what made up America's past.

Enjoy your trip.
Thanks Steve. I've hiked a couple battle grounds with the scouts but that was a few years back and a lot of pounds ago!
__________________
Tim & Mary Discovery 40X. Chevy Tahoe. RVM32
"I've been lost now, days uncounted..."GFR"
huntnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:24 PM   #82467
RV Mutant #14
 
Wayne M's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Wish you were going to be there, I'd love to see you riding on that horse trail!
And the horse you rode in.....well, you know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJeep View Post
Wow I may not ever go to another FMCA rally these things are expensive, what with new awnings, new satellite and new tpms it's bone chilling ... lol ...
Stop breaking things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne & Shara View Post
Well we leave tomorrow have no idea what way we are going yet but it's going to be that way. LOL . Thinking hurts my head lately.
We lost Dave and Nola to another one of their adventures, and the next day we gained Dwayne and Shara. It is so unfortunate that it is only for two days as we both depart tomorrow for our other adventures.

We had dinner last evening but no PoP. Darn! We had lunch today and again no PoP. Darn.

We also toured the Renegade RV Factory in Bristol, IN. Very informative. There was just the four of us and Adam, our guide was extremely knowledgeable.



__________________
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse) RVM14
Lexi - Goldendoodle
2015 Winnebago Tour 42QD
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:26 PM   #82468
Senior Member
 
PTJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Thanks Steve. I've hiked a couple battle grounds with the scouts but that was a few years back and a lot of pounds ago!
We hiked Shilo and Corinth and it will humble you very quickly ...
__________________
Jeff & Marcia .... RVM 39
2000 Beaver Patriot 425 Thunder 40'
2008 Jeep Wrangler X
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:28 PM   #82469
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 563
I have to ask what is a RV Mutant
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:43 PM   #82470
Senior Member
 
huntnski's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 9,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
I have to ask what is a RV Mutant
Welcome Danny, might I suggest you read the first few post of this thread. It started over 6 years ago simply as a post and now many of us are like family. We laugh and eat and generally have fun together. Hang around we may grow on you. I've got to run, live webinar in 15 minutes, CE!
__________________
Tim & Mary Discovery 40X. Chevy Tahoe. RVM32
"I've been lost now, days uncounted..."GFR"
huntnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #82471
Senior Member
 
PTJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
I have to ask what is a RV Mutant
Hi danny285,

What Tim said read the first 10 or 20 pages and you'll get an idea of what we are about. But basically tell us what your rig don't have and you don't miss, and declare that the Journey is the Destination and you can get your very own mutant number and we have lots of fun when we get together ... What do ya have to lose ?

Cheers !!!
__________________
Jeff & Marcia .... RVM 39
2000 Beaver Patriot 425 Thunder 40'
2008 Jeep Wrangler X
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:42 PM   #82472
Senior Member
 
PTJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,470
Hey Wayne,

I didn't break nothing ... Never had TPMS, the awnings are original and worn out and holely and the satellite system just went blind ....
__________________
Jeff & Marcia .... RVM 39
2000 Beaver Patriot 425 Thunder 40'
2008 Jeep Wrangler X
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:26 PM   #82473
Senior Member
 
Eez Moose's Avatar
 
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJeep View Post
Hey Wayne,

I didn't break nothing ... Never had TPMS, the awnings are original and worn out and holely and the satellite system just went blind ....
We wuz just yakking about getting satellite on our drive today. What system would everyone recommend please?
__________________
Dennis, Irene and Mizzie (The Incredible) living as Full Time RV Mutants #176
"Duchess" a 40 foot Newmar Dutch Star 4095 + "Duke" a GMC Terrain Towed
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:20 PM   #82474
RVM 18
 
okmunky's Avatar


 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fulltimer, SD resident
Posts: 10,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eez Moose View Post
Set it up for the Pacific Northwet and we will be there.
I really need to save my pennies to buy materials to convert Connie into a marvelous tiny house. Maybe next year?
__________________
Barb (RVM18) & Lily (Maltese/Yorkie) RIP Sena FMCA#F466348
"Homer" 11 Shasta Cynara, pulling "Smarty" '12 Smart Car toad
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 8 (2 members and 6 guests)
jfjr, Wayne M
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.