RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2020, 05:09 PM   #86493

Fleetwood Owners Club
While trying to fix one thing, I found another that needs it more

While I was under the coach a while back trying to figure out why the steps weren't working (they started again on their own), I noticed the hanger for the tailpipe had broken. So, I've been crawling under the coach the last couple of days trying to get the clamp loose and the old hanger off so I can install a replacement. One nut on the clamp is loosening (more or less, it's sure putting up a good fight) but the other is in a firm state of denial. My spray lube isn't having much effect and my good penetrating stuff is about 60 miles away. Anyway, that's not the main problem at this point. The steps were becoming wobbly so I looked at them. Ah, the cotter pin securing the pin that attaches the steps to the motor is gone and the pin is working its way out of one side. AND one of the brackets on the step is torn loose. Nice. AND the other bracket is cracked and coming off. Hmmmm. OK, steps are 20 years old, metal fatigue, can't really complain I guess. Maybe just buy new ones. $600-700. Maybe just not buy new ones. Looks like there are at least 3 welding shops in Shipshewana, I'll be there Wednesday for 2 weeks. Guess I'll remove the steps then and see if they can be repaired by welding. If not, I'll try the salvage places in Elkhart for some used ones...at least it's just minor annoying stuff...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2020, 05:25 PM   #86494

Better to find it crawling around, then taking a tumble.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:28 PM   #86495

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
My step motor went on me and the steps were in this loose mode, really wobbly and wouldn't close up when expected. The motor wouldn't lock in place I guess.

Searched Amazon and found a replacement motor and that solved my problem.

I too looked a new steps when it first broke and said, nah, this is fixable
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:47 PM   #86496

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dave if you was near by Id weld that up for you! That's the kind of friend I am.

Oh, you probably wanted those to extend and retract for travel, never mind.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:57 PM   #86497
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
You didn't consider bringing the MH into the driveway for temporary use?
It was considered but originally it was going to be 3 days with only one half a day without a bathroom so wasn't a necessity at the time, then found this, found that and once the tunnel to the front bathroom was completed it was a complete day and then some of chipping the foundation to get to all the plumbing. Was supposed to go quick after that - but!!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:28 PM   #86498
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Was supposed to go quick after that - but!!
Famous last words ... "supposed to". We never learn, do we? So are y’all using a bucket or the neighbors facilities? Never mind, I don’t wanna know that answer.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:10 PM   #86499
RVM #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
If he was near a cornfield there would be no issues. Row upon row of privacy. Take the paper with, or there's always husks. Ok I'll stop.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:42 AM   #86500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

As this was going on I thought of our ancestors and what they went through in the 17 and 18 hundreds.
I'm as old as some of you and I can remember the days of the "half moon door" sitting far away from the house. We actually had a sears catalogue.

Interesting subject - for sitting around the camp fire - albeit a crappy one.

Well, our family was so large & inventive (I only took advantage without the construction) ....

We enjoyed a small "Half moon structure" for the adults... AND a larger one with a TWO HOLE" for the kids... Also enjoyed the "Sears Catalogue"...

It is tougher these days with the Apps & Google on devices.

Ahh, the great ol' days..

Richard & "Queen" Ann, RVM # 110.. .. 2012 ERA 24' .... Our Chihuahua T.T. lets us serve her in Arkansas.. lol
romin roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:43 AM   #86501
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The thing about family is that you can discuss any subject either for information or entertainment. Us Muties is truly family.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #86502
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Famous last words ... "supposed to". We never learn, do we? So are y’all using a bucket or the neighbors facilities? Never mind, I don’t wanna know that answer.
We are back to normal. Well, I'm back to normal, Earlene is Earlene!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
If he was near a cornfield there would be no issues. Row upon row of privacy. Take the paper with, or there's always husks. Ok I'll stop.
Oh, you also? Been there done that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romin roman View Post
Well, our family was so large & inventive (I only took advantage without the construction) ....

We enjoyed a small "Half moon structure" for the adults... AND a larger one with a TWO HOLE" for the kids... Also enjoyed the "Sears Catalogue"...

One hole way out in field on the farm. Walk was 50-60 yards outdoors and we had the postman's slogan.

Grandpa moved to house in town and the two hole outhouse was gotten to through the barn (very large attachment) attached to the house. Though we had moved to luxury. Still used the Sears catalogue though.

All of a sudden there was construction going on in the house. No one was allowed to see it. When finished it was a modern room with flush toilet and sink. Everyone was lined up to try a hand at pushing the lever and watching the water go down.

Ah! The good ol' days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
The thing about family is that you can discuss any subject either for information or entertainment. Us Muties is truly family.
We truly are...and don't forget we all started out as acquaintances and stepped up to friends - no mater what the other is supposed to be or....you know. We are still friends. Just some different opinions.

I mean, if I can be friends (put up with) with Dennis, Tim, Jeff and Martin, I can be friends with anyone.

Just figure, I put up with Earlene for 59 years. That is my side of the story and I'm stickin' to it.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:33 PM   #86503

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Better to find it crawling around, then taking a tumble.....
Amen, bro!
Old 08-11-2020, 01:34 PM   #86504

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Dave if you was near by Id weld that up for you! That's the kind of friend I am.

Oh, you probably wanted those to extend and retract for travel, never mind.
You are such a good friend!
Old 08-11-2020, 01:39 PM   #86505

Quote:
Originally Posted by romin roman View Post

Neighbors used theirs as their only facility well into the 50s. We kept one in the orchard to use when out & about, and for when we had big bonfire parties & the house was a) off limits and b) too far up the hill anyway.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:44 PM   #86506

Now, the real height of luxury is the TOTO washlet. We found these all over the place in Japan, hotels, public restrooms etc, and just had to get one when we got back home. Apart from the heated seat (adjustable temperature or off), you get a warm bidet with options for placement, temperature, oscillating and pulsing. Then there's the dryer fan and, finally, a deodorizing fan. Bought it through Amazon, it fits any standard stool having good clearance at the back before the tank. I believe there's even a model that will automatically flush the toilet for you when you leave.