Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2020, 06:19 PM   #87123

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Dave and Carol, been there suffered thru stuff like that. You have my sympathy. These darn machines really know how to be a pain in the tookess, don’t they? When will you get to Yuma? I need a Mutant fix.

Ranger spent his first 23 years in chilly Oregon so he didn’t come with air conditioning from the factory. You can’t survive southern Arizona without it. So I ordered the parts, which of course had a few missing, so I spent several hours leaned over the hood of a junked pickup removing bolts and lines. Automotive stuff is Greek to me, but I found a local mechanic who is good and reasonably priced who was directing me. Tomorrow morning I get to take the bolts out of a thingy so he can put one of the parts inside.

Oohhh you said tookess, you could raise the wrath of the powers that be. I haven't heard tookess since I was a kid.

Be careful unbolting a thingy as you could discombobulate the who-you-call of screw up the frimfram.
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2020, 09:12 PM   #87124

Fleetwood Owners Club
So, in other words, you're going to remove the heater (or at least the core) so you can install the air conditioner coil (which may or may not require a different heater enclosure). Then the compressor gets installed at the front of the motor (just like the alternator - I would have said 'and power steering pump' but I'm guessing Ranger has steering by Arm-strong). Hopefully your crankshaft pulley (the bottom one) has an extra groove for the air conditioner belt (unless you have one of those wide flat single belts - then it's just a longer belt for the extra pulley). If you're installing a "factory" set-up you may have to also change out the heater control panel on the dash (sometimes A/C needs an extra control but maybe not in this case). Not a horrible job but it can get to be involved...
Disclaimer: I have never installed auto air conditioning but have some idea of the work involved from comparing vehicles with and without it...
Forgot to ask - does Ranger have real window cranks or buttons? I need to show the GK's some crank operated windows someday and blow their minds...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:22 PM   #87125
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dang Dave, you are an omen of news. Not good I'm afraid.

So very sorry to hear of your troubles and the etc., etc.
Wish we had more time when you were in Beaumont.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:49 AM   #87126
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We all get heavier as we get older, because there's a lot more information in our heads. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old 11-06-2020, 09:40 AM   #87127

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol View Post
So, in other words, you're going to remove the heater (or at least the core) so you can install the air conditioner coil (which may or may not require a different heater enclosure). Then the compressor gets installed at the front of the motor (just like the alternator - I would have said 'and power steering pump' but I'm guessing Ranger has steering by Arm-strong). Hopefully your crankshaft pulley (the bottom one) has an extra groove for the air conditioner belt (unless you have one of those wide flat single belts - then it's just a longer belt for the extra pulley). If you're installing a "factory" set-up you may have to also change out the heater control panel on the dash (sometimes A/C needs an extra control but maybe not in this case). Not a horrible job but it can get to be involved...
Disclaimer: I have never installed auto air conditioning but have some idea of the work involved from comparing vehicles with and without it...
Forgot to ask - does Ranger have real window cranks or buttons? I need to show the GK's some crank operated windows someday and blow their minds...
Ranger does have power steering, manual door locks and crank windows. Smarty even has crank windows and she's a 2012. I wish he had cruise control but that probably can’t happen on a 5 speed manual transmission. It’s been a long time since I’ve driven a manual transmission vehicle, but it does help the little four banger have a little more power on these sand roads.

The fewer gadgets equals less trouble. I was helping my neighbor vacuum out her car with a power seat and the recline button quit working with the seat fully forward. What a pain it is to drive like that! I guess that’s better than fully reclined.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:49 AM   #87128

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
We all get heavier as we get older, because there's a lot more information in our heads. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
I’m sorry your thoughts weigh so heavily on your mind, Wayne. Must be tough being you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:00 AM   #87129

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol View Post
my 1991 ford f150 not only has crank windows it also has the high beam switch on the floor board
Kevan & Rebecca(BTW) 2009 Fleetwood PaceArrow 38P 8.1 on W24 chassis w/air bags, 1990 Goldwing 1500, 2010 Jeep Liberty, RVM#197, FMCA#F413587, FMA#7985, WCMC, 2 dogs Cody and Sadie
PappaBull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:44 PM   #87130

Fleetwood Owners Club
Barb, check under the seat where you vacuumed. You might have knocked the plug loose to the seat controls.

My old sedan delivery (when I still had it) had manual everything. Plus, being an older Ford, the ignition key was up on the dash and on the far left end the way God intended...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:54 AM   #87131
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I’m sorry your thoughts weigh so heavily on your mind, Wayne. Must be tough being you.
Yes, but to know me is to love me, remember!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaBull View Post
my 1991 ford f150 not only has crank windows it also has the high beam switch on the floor board
Ah! the good old days. I even had a truck with the starter on the floorboard. Left side, higher than the high beam switch.

Showing our ages, eh?

p.s., also had one of these on the dash of my car for starting: (Different car Tim.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	starterbutton.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	307167  
Old 11-07-2020, 09:53 AM   #87132

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My 56 Oldsmobile had another switch on the floor right beside the hi-lo switch. It was for activating the "wonder bar" on the radio so you could change stations without taking your eyes off the road.
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:07 AM   #87133

Crank up windows? What are those?

( me driving my 1932 MG J2 - 60 years ago )Click image for larger version

Name:	fs_uj_859_(mg_j2)_00002.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	307170
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:45 PM   #87134
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eez Moose View Post
My 56 Oldsmobile had another switch on the floor right beside the hi-lo switch. It was for activating the "wonder bar" on the radio so you could change stations without taking your eyes off the road.

My '55 Olds had a touch bar on the radio for moving to the next station

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
Crank up windows? What are those?

( me driving my 1932 MG J2 - 60 years ago )Attachment 307170

You are old!
Old 11-07-2020, 12:46 PM   #87135
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Okay, it's over. Let's get back to RVMutant friendliness and have a good time.

Please!
Old 11-07-2020, 03:07 PM   #87136

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Okay, it's over. Let's get back to RVMutant friendliness and have a good time.

Please!

Hope your referring to the virus!