RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2021, 02:07 PM   #87655
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Okay, let's do the one upsmanship.

SimUFlight in Dallas has 6 or so 11 million dollar simulators. A fried was a flght instructor for the LearJet 25. You go up the platform ramp/stairs and into a box like room and this is where the computers are. I got into the left seat and Earlene (in a skirt) got into the right. I will tell you that the pilot and co-pilot area is very very tight.

My friend said he would control the power but I had everything else. As we started to roll I asked what the lift off speed would be and he replied 120. As we reached 120 I pulled back on the yoke and off we went.

In front of me were two towers and I asked If I could fly between them. He laughed and said sure. As I got to the towers I banked and went between them. He called me a smart something or other and said look out your port window. "See that air strip over there, that's Love Field and you need to land there now." I started my bank and he cut an engine. Nope, no crash, I continued the bank and landed safely.

All that was due to a few years playing with Flight Simulator on the computer. I never did get good on carrier landings.

Quite an experience for sure.

Oh, those simulators at SimUFlight could re-qualify a pilot without him ever leaving the ground.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2021, 02:12 PM   #87656
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Woah!!
Hold 'er down Newt (Wayne) she's headin' for the ditch!!
I'm very happy that someone did not come up and put a quarter in that machine. I'd have been bucked off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eez Moose View Post
Last Tuesday??
Nope! Yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
I remember that day. It was before he got his new hearing aids. He came over to me and said, ďSee that young girl over there... she said I looked like a jockeyĒ.
No Wayne she said you look like a jackaó, get your hearing aids checked!

Some previous portions of this reply may or may not be fake.
Just more of Tim's fake news.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:55 PM   #87657

I built a Flight Simulator building for the C-17 aircraft. Had to leave a large portion of a wall out to install the simulator. When the building was finished I got to fly the simulator.

Also built a facility to train how to pack a C-17. Put the fuselage in the building to do the training.

Built a maintenance complex for the Predator. One day 3 of us were invited to the control room to observe a mission. We were in Nevada the mission was in Afghanistan.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:02 PM   #87658

Fleetwood Owners Club
Simulator, I donít need no simulator.
When middle son was living in Missouri one of his older church members invited him and me to go up in his Cessna that seated 4. He put me up front beside him for better weight distribution. Once in the air he ask if I wanted to fly it some. Sure so a quick lesson in do this donít do that and I was flying. We were over the Lake of the Ozarks and I was directed to just stay level and fly along the length of the lake.

I thought we had been flying away from the airport the whole time up till he ask if I wanted to land it . I declined so he said turn toward the airport. My question was where is it. That was my first and last time to pilot an aircraft.

Next time Iíll tell about my alien and spaceship encounter!
Old 01-11-2021, 06:16 PM   #87659
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
How about your trip to the hot place. Oh, that's coming!
Old 01-11-2021, 07:28 PM   #87660

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Mary

Please intervene, make him leave out the part about the probing. I have a strong stomach and almost lost it when he related that story at Idanha.

Dennis, Denise and Mizzie (Tail Wagger Emeritus) living as Full Time RV Mutants #40
"Duchess" a 40 foot Newmar Dutch Star 4095 + "Duke" a GMC Terrain Towed
Eez Moose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:43 PM   #87661
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I decided her name will be DZA (Deeza) because it is listed on the license plate. QB was a close second but having DZA permanently inscribed on the back of her won out. Thanks for all the help!

BTW - DZA cannot be towed 4 down so she won’t travel with us. She's just my "go to town car". Town, aka Yuma, is a 150+ miles round trip. Ranger has the honor of being towed behind Homer because he has a 5 speed manual transmission.

Ok, back to comparing your airplane stories guys.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:00 PM   #87662

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
How about your trip to the hot place. Oh, that's coming!
No plans on going to Texas this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eez Moose View Post
Mary

Please intervene, make him leave out the part about the probing. I have a strong stomach and almost lost it when he related that story at Idanha.

Dont give away my secrets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I decided her name will be DZA (Deeza) because it is listed on the license plate. QB was a close second but having DZA permanently inscribed on the back of her won out. Thanks for all the help!

BTW - DZA cannot be towed 4 down so she wonít travel with us. She's just my "go to town car". Town, aka Yuma, is a 150+ miles round trip. Ranger has the honor of being towed behind Homer because he has a 5 speed manual transmission.

Ok, back to comparing your airplane stories guys.

Good choice!
Old 01-12-2021, 09:02 AM   #87663

Quote:
Simulator, I donít need no simulator.

When middle son was living in Missouri one of his older church members invited him and me to go up in his Cessna that seated 4. He put me up front beside him for better weight distribution. Once in the air he ask if I wanted to fly it some. Sure so a quick lesson in do this donít do that and I was flying. We were over the Lake of the Ozarks and I was directed to just stay level and fly along the length of the lake.

I thought we had been flying away from the airport the whole time up till he ask if I wanted to land it . I declined so he said turn toward the airport. My question was where is it. That was my first and last time to pilot an aircraft.

For my birthday several years ago, my wife bought me a discovery flight. Itís for people who are thinking of becoming pilots. The pilot does the take off and landing, but you do all the flying in between. We were only about 100 feet off the ground, going over the perimeter fence when he said ďtake us up to 2500 feet and turn southĒ. He was new to the area, so I showed him around. When the hour was up, he pointed me toward the air port and adjusted the flaps. I was looking at the runway getting close. I looked at him and said ďl will try to land if you want me toĒ and his reply was ďoh, do you want me to take over?Ē Great experience. Would love to do it again sometime
DobeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:28 AM   #87664

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DobeBus View Post
For my birthday several years ago, my wife bought me a discovery flight. Itís for people who are thinking of becoming pilots. The pilot does the take off and landing, but you do all the flying in between. We were only about 100 feet off the ground, going over the perimeter fence when he said ďtake us up to 2500 feet and turn southĒ. He was new to the area, so I showed him around. When the hour was up, he pointed me toward the air port and adjusted the flaps. I was looking at the runway getting close. I looked at him and said ďl will try to land if you want me toĒ and his reply was ďoh, do you want me to take over?Ē Great experience. Would love to do it again sometime

I agree it was fun. I have several friends that have planes. It seems to dominate their lives, they are always hanging out at the hanger. One was always trying to get me to go with him on quick trips. He transported bodies for funeral homes. Said they didnít talk much and that maid for long trips.

I did take a trip with one guy that needed to video some property. My job was camera man and was in the back seat of a 4 setter. As we approached the property he told me to get ready, he would tilt the plane in a big spiral so I could film out the side window. Worked good but we just kept getting lower and lower and lower. When ask did I film it all my reply was YES!
Old 01-12-2021, 11:48 PM   #87665

I would encourage anybody to go to their local sailplane airport and go up in a 2 or 3 place sailplane. It could change your life, but in a good way! Joining a soaring club is surprisingly affordable and sailplanes are quite safe in that even if you crash one it is usually at a very low speed. (just being practical! )
Gammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:37 AM   #87666

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammel View Post
I would encourage anybody to go to their local sailplane airport and go up in a 2 or 3 place sailplane. It could change your life, but in a good way! Joining a soaring club is surprisingly affordable and sailplanes are quite safe in that even if you crash one it is usually at a very low speed. (just being practical! )
Iíve seen videos of those flights that were very peaceful. But! I didnít always pay attention in physics class but I do remember this, objects do fall at the same rate! (Iím aware of the gliding part, just pilling your leg.)
Welcome to the thread.

My theory now is, if man was mint to fly, he should have a airline ticket !
Old 01-13-2021, 11:55 AM   #87667
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
My theory now is, if man was mint to fly, he should have a airline ticket !
I would agree with that if it wasnít for all the dangers in the airport presently. Going through security is an absolute nightmare! And if you make it through the flight and home without catching COVID-19 youíre really lucky!
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:59 AM   #87668

Janice Ross has been our neighbor for a few days!

And I got to spoil Bunny and you DINT!! So there
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6808.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	539.8 KB
ID:	314416

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote