Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2021, 07:52 AM   #88103

Location: Dan & Pam Nachel RVM #175 & 175a, three Doberman traveling companions
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol View Post
We have a new pupper now. 8 month old Catahoula Leopard Dog mixed with something. Got her at the local shelter a few days ago. About 25 pounds, long legged and lean with a brindle coat. Take her in for shots on the 10th and neutering on the 15th, then she's all ours. Has figured out 'sit' already, working on 'down' and 'off'. Already found her favorite sleeping spot - between us...

If I can ever get this stupid computer fixed (currently limping along in "safe" mode) I'll post a photo (can't transfer images from camera).
Oh, named her Carmen...Carmen Mirandog...

Hold on a minute, your going to neuter HER ? Are dogs getting gender reassignment now?
DobeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2021, 11:16 AM   #88104

Quote:
We have a new pupper now. 8 month old Catahoula Leopard Dog mixed with something. Got her at the local shelter a few days ago. About 25 pounds, long legged and lean with a brindle coat. Take her in for shots on the 10th and neutering on the 15th, then she's all ours. Has figured out 'sit' already, working on 'down' and 'off'. Already found her favorite sleeping spot - between us...

If I can ever get this stupid computer fixed (currently limping along in "safe" mode) I'll post a photo (can't transfer images from camera).
Gotta love that name! Can't wait to see her. How big will she get & how active does she need to be? Inquiring minds....

Congratulations! I'm sure you still miss Hershey (did I remember right or do I have right-dog-other-mutant syndrome?) as he was one of a loving chain of pets. Long may the chain continue!
Old 03-02-2021, 11:25 AM   #88105

Quote:
Last week we took the coach in to get the house water pump replaced (quit working in Indiana, carried water jugs for toilet on trip). Went well, didn't take too long, price not too bad.

Back to the RV park and get back in our space. Hit the jacks button - nothing, just a faint click. Try a few times more. Give up and shut off motor. Call repair place for advice on jacks, leave message. Go to humane society to look at some dogs. Oh, have to make an appointment now, can't just walk in. Fine, fill out forms and make appointment for tomorrow. Head home. Get call from repair place, says may be bad connections. OK. Look at wiring, seems OK. Remove, clean and replace battery terminals. Wrestle battery back in place and accidentally ground positive leads, shoot sparks (shouldn't do that if not yet connected to battery?). Need motor on to test jacks (key in 'run' position). Turn key to start motor. Nothing. Just a faint click down there somewhere. Worked fine just a few hours ago. First the jacks, now the motor.)

(Shortcut through the long, boring part about testing & not finding anything wrong. And spending several days with a very unlevel floor).
End result: found a mobile repair service, checked things out and said starter had a short. Replaced starter (ouch). Cured the problem.

Second surprise: jacks worked again. Still not sure why they wouldn't work before when we first got parked and the engine was still running. One good thing though. While I had the battery out to clean the terminals I was able to 'top off' the jack reservoir ('topping off' consisting of nearly 2 quarts of fluid...fortunately I had some with me).
On top of all that: turned on the furnace that evening. After a few minutes running, still no hat air. Shut off the furnace. Hey. water heater pilot light indicator is on. Water heater not working either? Go out and watch it light, or at least try to light. Very weak, lazy yellow flame for about 10 seconds, then goes out. OK, check tank, still half full. Sounds like a clog in the regulator. Repair guy coming in the morning. Maybe by Tuesday afternoon everything will be back to (what passes for) normal again.
Quote:
Last week we took the coach in to get the house water pump replaced (quit working in Indiana, carried water jugs for toilet on trip). Went well, didn't take too long, price not too bad.
Maybe by Tuesday afternoon everything will be back to (what passes for) normal again.
Good grief! Sounds about normal... not. If it all comes in a batch like that, is that like a 100-year flood?...maybe 100 years, maybe 1?

At least you have useful skills for diagnosing & dealing w/ some of that nonsense. I'd be lucky to manage a tent.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:37 AM   #88106

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
[COLOR="Red"]Congrats on the dog. We had a catahula curr.
Great brindle coloring and eyes were a different color.
Come to think of it, we met a catahoula cur in AZ a few years ago. She was a sweet, friendly dog, well-socialized for campground living.

I remember being surprised that the name Cur was used as part of a breed name, since to me it was always used to mean a mangy crossbred or a worthless person.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:26 PM   #88107

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

Have you left Yuma yet? Lily would be disappointed if she can’t play with Carmen this year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:41 PM   #88108

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
Come to think of it, we met a catahoula cur in AZ a few years ago. She was a sweet, friendly dog, well-socialized for campground living.

I remember being surprised that the name Cur was used as part of a breed name, since to me it was always used to mean a mangy crossbred or a worthless person.
Can’t really tell you much about that bread. I got the pup from a cattle farmer friend that used them to work his cows. They are smart dogs that sense what you want them to do.

We wanted ours to let us know when anyone came around. It not only did that but held a many of them in their cars till we came out to greet them.
Then on the other hand could handle the rough play my boys were prone to without getting too rough with the boys. It was the last male dog we owned. He had a tendency to go romanceing
Old 03-02-2021, 09:31 PM   #88109

Fleetwood Owners Club
OK - spay - neuter - whatever. It's all mutilation anyway although I suppose it's all for the best in the end. Humane society had a LOT of pit bull mixes. Hopefully when they cross the rainbow bridge they get all their parts back...

Barb we're here until April 1st. Carmen gets shots on 3/10 and spayed (is that better?) on 3/15, then she's all ours.

This darn dog only does #1 and #2 once a day despite being walked every other hour or so. Is that at all normal? Got an iron bladder apparently...

Almost everything all fixed now. Starter works, jacks work, water heater and furnace work. Still fighting the stupid steps (won't stay extended) and the trailer brake problem (controller says there's an intermittent short in the circuit - still need to pull the brake drum and check it - that's the wheel that fried it's bearings in Texas, including the wire inside the drum. I patched it but maybe not good enough. Maybe it's rubbing on something.). Worst case I replace the whole assembly.
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:48 AM   #88110

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dave be sure to post the fix on that trailer brake issue. I have a trailer that will sometimes blow the fuse on my truck.I finally wired the lights separately so I could use trailer without the brakes and only use the brakes when pulling a heavy load such as a tractor. I’ve inspected the brake wire inch by inch. Next step complete brake rewire I guess.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:04 AM   #88111
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have never seen bread, white, wheat, rye, etc., work cows. Do you have any videos of that?

It must be similar to secrud, eh?

Sorry, couldn't resist!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:10 AM   #88112

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Worst case I replace the whole assembly.
Quote:
Next step complete brake rewire I guess.

One small niggly detail though when Denise and I had a Travel Trailer it had an intermittent brakes not working problem. After numerous repair attempts I went to Princess Auto (upscale Harbor Freight) and just bought new electric brake assemblies for it. Whatever the problem was the new assemblies repaired the issue.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/elec...?skuId=8212086

At the time they had a special left and right at about $40.00 each.
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:41 PM   #88113

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I have never seen bread, white, wheat, rye, etc., work cows. Do you have any videos of that?

It must be similar to secrud, eh?

Sorry, couldn't resist!

I was texting with my left hand while holding the new GK with my right!

So there !
Old 03-03-2021, 05:48 PM   #88114

Quote:
I was texting with my left hand while holding the new GK with my right!

So there !
Yeah, yeah, whatever.

My MIL used to say, "I believe you. Thousands wouldn't."

It'll be our secrud.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:59 PM   #88115

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
Yeah, yeah, whatever.

My MIL used to say, "I believe you. Thousands wouldn't."

It'll be our secrud.
Good to know I’ve got one in my corner!