Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2021, 10:54 AM   #89629

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I’m confused as to LiPo being a small investment!
Are the $1000 ones the ones?
I was looking at the bigger picture. It's not like she's leaving that place forever anytime soon. If she's going to a neighbor's place using their electricity, I doubt it's free...if it's free, well, then I'm mistaken and I'll go back to solving problems in the cloud
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2021, 11:33 AM   #89630
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaBull View Post
now you tell me honestly I have never ever had a problem with poison ivy before and I have cut it down many times. this time it got me
The older we get, the more things we become allergic to. I think it’s nature’s way of trying to limit our lifespan. I certainly lowers life's comfort level.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:46 AM   #89631
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
I'm just curious. With all that sun and cheap solar, why haven't you setup a system with some LiPo batteries and an inverter that allows you to run a real A/C in Connie? I get all the other 12v stuff and it all makes sense but without A/C, I know I wouldn't be able to deal with the heat. A small investment in some nice LiPo batteries would provide enough stored power to run A/C day and night.
Have you priced batteries lately? To have enough capacity to run an A/C unit 24/7 during heat at 115*+ is a hefty ticket. Swamp coolers work great except during monsoon season when the humidity is high. If not for this stupid virus I would be spending the worst months in my DD's Seattle area back yard.

One reason I’m using 12 volt is the wire. Working with 110 wire beats my hands up. Plus there is no capacity lost to the inversion process.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:53 AM   #89632
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
I was looking at the bigger picture. It's not like she's leaving that place forever anytime soon. If she's going to a neighbor's place using their electricity, I doubt it's free...if it's free, well, then I'm mistaken and I'll go back to solving problems in the cloud
I pay the neighbor $25/week for power and water. I do have 500 watts of solar panels set up so she’s getting a little extra to put up with us. So I’m spending about $300/year. Lithium batteries would probably cost $15K or more.
Old 09-02-2021, 12:54 PM   #89633

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Have you priced batteries lately? To have enough capacity to run an A/C unit 24/7 during heat at 115*+ is a hefty ticket. Swamp coolers work great except during monsoon season when the humidity is high. If not for this stupid virus I would be spending the worst months in my DD's Seattle area back yard.

Quote:
I pay the neighbor $25/week for power and water. I do have 500 watts of solar panels set up so she’s getting a little extra to put up with us. So I’m spending about $300/year. Lithium batteries would probably cost $15K or more.
One reason I’m using 12 volt is the wire. Working with 110 wire beats my hands up. Plus there is no capacity lost to the inversion process.
Unless you don't get sun during the day, there is only a need to store enough energy for the off-hours. And I was just looking at some very high-capacity LiPo batteries specific to solar systems and for energy storage use and the cost is nothing like $15k. Heck, you can get a Tesla wall powercell for less than 10k. The individual batteries I was looking at were in the 500-700 range. So maybe a couple thousand bucks would be sufficient.

Anyhow, your reasons are enough, it was just a curiosity question....
Old 09-02-2021, 07:24 PM   #89634
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Carl, there is a new battery technology being developed by Gridtential that is supposed to be cheaper, more effective and safer than Lithium. I just got 6 new 2 volt batteries with 1250 amp hours. Once I can install them I might get to run my AC much of the night during monsoon season. I also have a DC refrigerator that needs to run all night. But cooling the house will help the fridge, so there’s some trade off.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:06 PM   #89635

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Nice. Were I do my daily chores, we have battery simulation software for designers. It's probably more focused on cars and other transportation (like planes) than what we're discussing.

What really drove me to ask the question was from a discussion I was having with a friend and we got into talking about the "why not?". So it was really just out of curiosity. Waiting is probably a good strategy with this stuff, cuz I agree, LiPo's are not exactly the most stable things to have around.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:10 PM   #89636

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
The older we get, the more things we become allergic to. I think it’s nature’s way of trying to limit our lifespan. I certainly lowers life's comfort level.
I’ve notice as I aged I have become dreadfully allergic to wrrk!
It tends to cause muscle aches, intense sweating, delusions and the desire to nap.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:47 PM   #89637

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hsy Carl

How much of the Ida aftermath did you get in your area?
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:09 AM   #89638

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol View Post

All good in Illinois.
Our “area” in PA, Lancaster County, lots of road damage/flooding, but they’ll have it fixed for when we get back “home” in July.
A kin in NYC had a very rough time.
All together, the huge doses of rain was way too much for folks that w.o.r.k.

Happy Trails Muties
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 05:59 PM   #89639

What some of us get up to when not gathered w/ mutants. Threshermen's Reunion: steam engines shelling corn, digging potatoes, running a sawmill; fair food & a flea market; 1 sheep shearer w/ a group of spinners doing demos.

Little lamb went to the beauty parlor: before, during & after. The children (& mom) were fascinated & got lots of hand-on experience. Note dad & the baby over on the other side of the barn.

I'm exhausted! Gimme a beverage & a good campfire!Click image for larger version

Name:	20210903_125831.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	341920Click image for larger version

Name:	20210903_130310.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	341921Click image for larger version

Name:	20210903_130827.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	341922Click image for larger version

Name:	20210903_131606.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	341923
Old 09-03-2021, 06:00 PM   #89640

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
All good in Illinois.
Our “area” in PA, Lancaster County, lots of road damage/flooding, but they’ll have it fixed for when we get back “home” in July.
A kin in NYC had a very rough time.
All together, the huge doses of rain was way too much for folks that w.o.r.k.

Happy Trails Muties
Y'all just passin by?
Old 09-03-2021, 08:03 PM   #89641
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sue, you mentioned that was a lamb that they used in the shearing demo. Can you imagine what must be going thru that poor baby’s mind the first time they get sheared? After that I imagine they realize that they just need to tolerate it in order to get all that heavy winter coat removed.

I wonder what wild sheep do to be cool? Neat photos! Thanks
Old 09-03-2021, 08:58 PM   #89642

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol View Post
I must be in a special zone. Got a bunch of rain, didn't cause any problems. In fact my screen tent was up the whole time and nothing happened to it. I don't even have the tie-downs on the sides to make it stable.

I do know folks not that far from me experienced a major water flow, took out 3 feet of their neighbors yard to the point all three cars in the driveway were leaning over and had to be towed out.

So I guess it depended on where you lived. Other parts of CT got hit bad, but not where I live (nor my town).