Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2022, 07:44 PM   #90385

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
If you get to RI, you might check out Bristol. It's a charming waterfront town between Providence & Portsmouth. It has (or had) a lovely Episcopalian church, & was apparently the first town to have a 4th of July parade. The parade route (past that church & along the seafront wall) is always kept painted red, white & blue. (Hope Street)

Colt was originally based there, complete w/ a family mansion ... & a state park. Our neighbor Cappy used to run the ferry out to Hog Island, & the big bridge (that used to scare the bejeesus out of another neighbor) crosses the river east to Portsmouth. The Herreschoff Marine Museum is now next door to the place we lived on Burton St. (Previous life) Coggeshall Farm is open to the public & is of interest me because Coggeshall was my mother's ancestral family name.

TMI? Apologies. I got carried away!

Sounds so much better than a tour of an ice cream factory!

BTW we had peas from the garden, pork and greens. May need help spending all our money this coming year!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2022, 07:55 PM   #90386
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tim, Our son was stationed in Newport, RI. Although I cannot give a recommendation on campgrounds I can say that the Newport Mansion's Tour is a must see. Newport was the visiting city for the "Upper Crust" of New York and they built the mansions for their summer vacations. .[

QUOTE=PappaBull;6034933]

Wayne, plan to be in Texas City late this month looking forward to seeing Earlene and Lexie.

as usual no reservations only a vague idea of a direction. if the weather holds a trip to Kansas City to Little Rock to Crowley, LA to Texas City then?[/QUOTE]

Kevan, if your decrepit motorhome is less that 10 years old, you can stay in the driveway with 50amp and water. Free dump station is about 1-1/2 miles away. If it is over 10 years old I'll make an exception based on your visit to Tim and his review.

Well okay, no matter what, you can stay in the driveway...no homesteading! (RV length needs to be 43 feet or under)

If you don't like us I would recommend Galveston Bay RV Resort & Marina

Our good Canadian friends, from Saskatchewan, depart tomorrow and they were staying in Site 204. That is a newer section of the park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Oh also Kevin, thanks for the info on Vermont. Now also looking at Rhode Island.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eez Moose View Post
Dwayne to the rescue and from 1800 miles away, give or take.
He has a buddy of his bringing us and extension cord and charger so we can circumvent the botched and hooped alternator and that should get us on the road. Kind special people who would be willing to get up new year morning and go help bail out someone they don't know. As us how much we love Shara Dwayne and their collection of friends.

Happy New Year all.
Al that can be said about Dwayne is....glad he is a friend to all, even if some of us are in low places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I heard from Moose and Denise this afternoon. They were rolling again thanks to Dwayne and one of his Seattle friends. They were 39 miles north of Portland and planning to drive about 80 miles before stopping for the night. Who knew that an RV generator, a battery charger and an extension cord could take the place of a failed alternator?? We learn something new here every da … uh, once in a while.
Yep! Amazing with knowledge, ingenuity, and friends can do.

Happy New Year y'all!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:02 PM   #90387

Monaco Owners Club
We had an alternator fail once in the middle of nowhere! I used my jumper cables from the house batteries to the start batteries. and ran the genset. It got us to the next town to buy an alternator. You do what you have to do!
Happy New Year Mutant's
Old 01-01-2022, 08:02 PM   #90388

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Wayne.
Old 01-01-2022, 08:17 PM   #90389

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I heard from Moose and Denise this afternoon. They were rolling again thanks to Dwayne and one of his Seattle friends. They were 39 miles north of Portland and planning to drive about 80 miles before stopping for the night. Who knew that an RV generator, a battery charger and an extension cord could take the place of a failed alternator?? We learn something new here every da … uh, once in a while.
That would put them very near Millersylvania State Park if they were headed north.
HenryH001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:46 PM   #90390

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryH001 View Post
That would put them very near Millersylvania State Park if they were headed north.
Nope, we are headed south.

It is amazing how quickly the roadside sn*w disappeared once we started bombing down I-5 below Seattle.

With luck we will be overnighting just above Grant's Pass in Medford Or.

Denise is firmly of the belief that we will again be forced to stay in Weed Ca because of sn*w. Every time we have gone through there we get forced in by highways to slick to drive on.
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:00 PM   #90391
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Come on Dennis! Weed, CA! Yah, we really know why you stay there. It's all in the name.

Tim, you are welcome!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:57 PM   #90392

[QUOTE=Wayne M;6035620]Tim, Our son was stationed in Newport, RI. Although I cannot give a recommendation on campgrounds I can say that the Newport Mansion's Tour is a must see. Newport was the visiting city for the "Upper Crust" of New York and they built the mansions for their summer vacations. .[ .....

And if you should happen to be there when the Tall Ships are in, it's magical. Town is full of activities then, too.

If you want to walk, there is (or used to be) a path that runs between those Summer Cottages, as the mansions were called, and the ocean. That's free, for us cheapska...errr, frugal types.

Yup! I'd definitely recommend RI, although Vermont is beautiful too. Just different. And RI is a lot smaller. RI is the only place I know where the whole state can be shut down (and has been) by a sn*w storm.
Old 01-02-2022, 06:25 AM   #90393

Fleetwood Owners Club
It was 70° the past two days.
This morning 28° feels like 19° and sn*wing!
Old 01-02-2022, 06:50 AM   #90394

Happy New Year from Florida…..
hoping for a wonderful year for each of you……

No big celebrations here as I had to have 2 jaw teeth removed on Thursday, but today I feel like I can try solid food…..

My happiness is that it has been almost 5 years since Larry received his LVAD, so many blessings in our lives….
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 07:43 AM   #90395

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post

No big celebrations here as I had to have 2 jaw teeth removed on Thursday, but today I feel like I can try solid food…..

My happiness is that it has been almost 5 years since Larry received his LVAD, so many blessings in our lives….
Good news Di.
And add to that…
The Hogs Won in Tampa!
Woo Pig Sooiee!

Hope you recover from the dental problem soon!
Old 01-02-2022, 09:14 AM   #90396

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Di

Give Larry a hug, and congratulations from us. Hard to believe that big scare he had was five years ago.

We are planning to get underway in a bit and just had to come on and wish all y'all a Happy New Year.

Wayne y'all know I am not a weedite. I am allergic to the stuff but have no issues with those who partake. The one advantage to my allergy is that unlike you I remember the 60s.

Stay Safe and be healthy.

Love Y'all.
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 12:39 PM   #90397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eez Moose View Post
We are planning to get underway in a bit and just had to come on and wish all y'all a Happy New Year.
BIG sigh of relief!

Watch out now, Lower 48! They's acomin'!

Cheers!
Old 01-02-2022, 12:47 PM   #90398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post

Thanks, Di, & of course the same for you.

Are you tired of New Year's eggnog now? Even with the rum added? So you'll be moving on to scrambled eggnog, right? (Huh???) Hope your recovery continues to go well.

And congratulations to the both of you on Larry's 5-year anniversary! Wishing you many more such anniversaries together! [emoji173]

Cheers!