Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2014, 11:21 PM   #9213

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
Wish I'd known about angel crust sooner! I love meringue in any form, including raw. Meringue cookies, Pavlova, pie meringue....Mmmmm,

Next thing is that I need to cut out (or at least way back) on sugar, so am wondering how Stevia, Truvia, etc. would affect the resulting meringue. I do hate wasting good egg whites on a failure, but I do have 4 left over from making a custard sauce, so could give it a try.

I'm just beginning on the path to gluten free and very low carb intake, so have a lot to learn about allowed ingredients and how they behave and interact. It's a worthwhile path if it will help with the aging brain, arthritis and weight control, but that doesn't mean it is easy to unlearn old habits and learn new tricks. Old dogs, you know....can learn new tricks, but it takes longer!

That's a very good trade to be able to make: lemons for avocados. Bartering seems to be almost lost these days. Too bad I can't pay my doctor in spring asparagus!

Cheers!
Sue
Well the way I 'trade off' when making meringue dollops, with mint and chocolate chips is that I use stevia 99.94 1/4 % of the time BUT the purrrfect meringue needs fruit sugar (very fine) some places called Berry sugar, and I only make them at Christmas and someone's b'day (I only eat 2)
so the sin of 'sugar is not so bad (on the big scale) it will cause no permanent damage .. and like you I hate to waste 6-10 egg whites ... even too cheap to try 2 how bad is that..?

Rule # 44 no sweets unless it is a Major holiday, (and they come at the end of the year) except for Easter, that is when you make lots so you can freeze them until the next batch at Thanksgiving!!

So that is my reckoning, works for me, might work for you too
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2014, 11:23 PM   #9214

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
SPLENDA works well in meringues.... My DH is type 1 diabetes, so i make all his sweets with it. Controls his blood sugar and satisfies his sweet tooth... It is designed for cooking and does not break down with heat... Stevia just doesnt seem to work as well in cooking....
learned something new today, thank you, good to know!!
Old 01-01-2014, 11:29 PM   #9215

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nissa, I see you reading, but you haven't posted in a while -- whatcha been up to lately?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:35 PM   #9216

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEFFY View Post
We have started the year off right with the black eyed peas, ham, cabbage, and cornbread. Then Stephanie tried walking with a quad cane instead of holding onto me. She's been "walking" all day with the cane. Not long walks but recliner to bathroom, recliner to kitchen, just did recliner to bed - I'm tickeled to death at her progress. This, for us, is a great way to start the new year.

Wonderful new and just the way you want to start the new year, on the right foot!! Congratulations, ...one small step leads to long walks on the beach.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:45 AM   #9217

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
I'm in!!! Not quite sure about that family plan, though.

DH's first comment was, "I don't want to lose you that way." Silly man!

I've only been zip-lining once, and loved it. My son and I went with a company in Boulder City, NV, and it was over rocks and dry terrain. The shore excursions from our cruise ship to do that in Costa Rica filled up in a flash, so I didn't get to zip through the jungle. :( The Ouachita Mountains will do nicely, though, methinks.

Cheers!
Sue
DW and I want to do the ZIP line out at Henderson lake on Vancouver Island. A friend of my son works there and he claims its a good run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEFFY View Post

We have started the year off right with the black eyed peas, ham, cabbage, and cornbread. Then Stephanie tried walking with a quad cane instead of holding onto me. She's been "walking" all day with the cane. Not long walks but recliner to bathroom, recliner to kitchen, just did recliner to bed - I'm tickeled to death at her progress. This, for us, is a great way to start the new year.

That is such great news we are all looking forward to more positive updates on Stephanie's progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I know you were asking Les that question Herb, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents. My daughter lives in Seattle and I'm either there or at friends on the north side of the border with Oregon, just 30 miles west of I-5.

We can chat about doing lunch or something when we're at the GC@CL. There's another RVM in Camas, WA not far from Portland and then there's Possum NW of Seattle a piece. We could have a midi curiosity.
There are a couple of new RVMs in the Pacific Northwet and Alberta. We could easily do a mini curiosity somewhere near Princeton BC or that area just south in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enokie View Post
Well the way I 'trade off' when making meringue dollops, with mint and chocolate chips is that I use stevia 99.94 1/4 % of the time BUT the purrrfect meringue needs fruit sugar (very fine) some places called Berry sugar, and I only make them at Christmas and someone's b'day (I only eat 2)
so the sin of 'sugar is not so bad (on the big scale) it will cause no permanent damage .. and like you I hate to waste 6-10 egg whites ... even too cheap to try 2 how bad is that..?

Rule # 44 no sweets unless it is a Major holiday, (and they come at the end of the year) except for Easter, that is when you make lots so you can freeze them until the next batch at Thanksgiving!!

So that is my reckoning, works for me, might work for you too
Do you deliver??
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:07 AM   #9218

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dennis,

For Sena and I to attend, we must stay on the US side of the border. If she leaves the US, our enlightened govt won't let her return. But we could skip this one. Princeton looks to be quite nice as seen by satellite.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:57 AM   #9219

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Ok, everyone that's had to reset the bead on a John Deeres rear wheele while in the field on New Years Day say "I" .

Walked out to check on pasture and site of last nights bonfire this morning and saw son down at my shop gathering up tools, not a good look on his face! Well neither of us thought we could get the tire back on rim muchless aired up but we did. Amazing how my son thought I knew what to do! We worked pretty good as a team on this "had to " project. What started out as a awful event for a NY day turned into quit an accomplishment.

It's going to be a great year, come on GC!
I always use a ratchet strap to bulge the tire out to get the air going. Has never failed.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:24 AM   #9220

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I always use a ratchet strap to bulge the tire out to get the air going. Has never failed.
3 inch strap wasn't enough, we applied good layer of axle grease on rim, then a come a long around tire and bounced a 2lb hammer around tire and it finally took air!
Old 01-02-2014, 03:56 AM   #9221

Quote:
3 inch strap wasn't enough, we applied good layer of axle grease on rim, then a come a long around tire and bounced a 2lb hammer around tire and it finally took air!
What we have done in cases like that is to spray starting fluid inside the tire, through the crack, throw a match on it a poof, the bead is set. Never fails, if it does just repeat with another shot of ether. Old tire guy showed me that about 35 years ago.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:40 AM   #9222

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
What we have done in cases like that is to spray starting fluid inside the tire, through the crack, throw a match on it a poof, the bead is set. Never fails, if it does just repeat with another shot of ether. Old tire guy showed me that about 35 years ago.
That would have been our next attempt, just didNt have starter fluid with us. I was more excited about my son moving out of that stage "that dad knows nothing "to the "what do you think dad" stage.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:44 AM   #9223

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

Dave - and all RVMs - I have removed the GC @ CL Itinerary Builder Form from the website. There has been good input and using the information that was gathered so far - I filled in the Itinerary itself and it is listed under Events along with the Sign Up sheet. I believe and will confirm with my records and Herbs - that all water front sites are taken and 8 non-water sites remain. (Bear or beer with me Herb - it will probably be the weekend before I get to it.)

Regarding the activities and events. I believe the current Itinerary allows quite a bit of free time but also allows those who wish to participate in formal group gatherings and to show off the wold of game grilling - fish frying - bacon makin - and other fun things an opportunity to do so.

No formal meal or event will take place without a sign up sheet. Once you have a chance to review and comment via the Contact Us form on what's currently offered - I will get the sign up sheets out to all attendees. If you attend a meal function you will be a participant in the process. This is just common sense. If you do not wish to attend -or to sit quietly with RVM1 - or go dancing with Sue and Walter - that's fine. No one should feel compelled to attend anything or everything but if you sign up - health permitting - you should show up. Again - doesn't really need to be said.

I have arranged for a friend of mine to bring his band to perform at the Mardi Gras Party. Three piece blues band - wide range of tunes - knows how to play to a room. Translation - right sound level. Not limited to blues - but will give ya 2 - 3 and boot scoot and tummy rub rhythm and blues. Even a little ZZ Top - whom my fried has opened for. Sue - I'm not sure if they know a tune you can call but if you hum a few bars they will wing it I'm sure. I have to confirm with CL that this is ok - but I'm sure it has been done before.

Take a look at the Itinerary - if you see things you want removed or added let me know using the Contact Us Form at www.rvmutants.com

I am really looking forward to this First Ever GC and if you're still on the fence - get moving - only 8 spaces left.

RVM2
Steve and Annie
PS - kidding Dave - I know you can't sit quietly.
Hey Steve !!!

You made it happen a band at the curiosity that is way cool !!!!

Cheers !!!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:03 AM   #9224

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJeep View Post
Hey Steve !!!

You made it happen a band at the curiosity that is way cool !!!!

Cheers !!!!
I'm confused, 3 peace band and no Jug, no Spoons and no Washboard ! Must not be a local band.

Zip line sounds fun! 275 lbs limit darn! I'll see if I can get up to that!
Old 01-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #9225

Quote:

I'm confused, 3 peace band and no Jug, no Spoons and no Washboard ! Must not be a local band.

Hey Tim !!!

I may have to bow out on flying through the trees.

Cheers !!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #9226

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski

Ha! Well Tim, they are local to me... And like all good blues bands, they can jam. Just bring your jug, spoons and washboard and we can take turns sitting in with the band.

If anyone has a song they can sing - let me know and I'll run it by them. I know RVM 1 sings Pretty Woman and they can play that!

Remember to use the Contact Us Form and let me know your thoughts. Tick Tock!
RVM2
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote