Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

Reminds me of the time stationed in VA and one day in the back yard I see my neighbor picking beets. I walked over and he was popping the greens of and putting the beets in a sack. I asked what he was going to do with the greens and he said he was going to throw then away. I asked if I could have them and he put them into two paper sacks and handed them to me asking what I was going to do with them. I said I was going to eat them. He grunted something.

Went in the house, showed Earlene, she pulled out a big ol' pot and cooked them right then and there. I put some in a small bowl with some butter and took them outside and said, "Here, try this." I never did get another beet green from him. Darn!
Oh yeah! Brought the beet green frenzy with us when we moved from MN to PA. When I told the neighbors about them, they looked at me like I had 3 heads. Then they tried them!

They are good at any stage of plant growth, but sweetest and tenderest when you thin the rows and the beets are about the size of a dime. Just rinse and boil the beets and greens as they are.

Pardon me while I drool.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #2718

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJeep

Hahahahaha,

Well Steve let me put the breakfast into some kind of context, I had two brothers and a sister plus my parents and grand parents there, and grandma was just trying to make enough for everyone. Now to put it into even more context, my father was one of 6 children, one brother and 4 sisters and of course his parents so grandma always seemed to be cooking for a large group. I hope this helps.

Cheers !!!
Ha! I was thinking it was just for you! Having seen your picture - if the rest of the family is as tall as you appear to be - ya might well have needed 6 pounds. Lol. Did you by chance play football? Not suggesting you are large mind you - just look to be a strapping young man. I on the other hand am large - but only around the middle. Trying to work on that but every time I turn around I hear bacon calling my name.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #2719

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Yep, it dont take much. Mix em in with your greens. Great with collards. Awesome with calves liver.
Ok Y'all,

I'll represent the non-greens eaters here and tell you that the addition of liver brings this discussion to gag status. I haven't had breakfast yet, but suddenly I'm not hungry.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #2720

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Ha! I was thinking it was just for you! Having seen your picture - if the rest of the family is as tall as you appear to be - ya might well have needed 6 pounds. Lol. Did you by chance play football? Not suggesting you are large mind you - just look to be a strapping young man. I on the other hand am large - but only around the middle. Trying to work on that but every time I turn around I hear bacon calling my name.

Errrrrmmmm no not just for me, the DW would have much to say about that. My brothers are 5'11 but Im 6'3 and we all have good appetites. But I did play football years ago. I also have the around the middle challenge and could stand to loose 50 pounds, but yeah, the call of bacon is hard to resist.

Cheers !!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #2721

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post

Ok Y'all,

I'll represent the non-greens eaters here and tell you that the addition of liver brings this discussion to gag status. I haven't had breakfast yet, but suddenly I'm not hungry.
Ahhhhh but it is not just "liver". It is clean, pale, tender, un-bloodied calves liver. An ambrosia to some of us.
And it is great with bacon!!!!

Perhaps others can chime in?
Old 08-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #2722

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven

Ahhhhh but it is not just "liver". It is clean, pale, tender, un-bloodied calves liver. An ambrosia to some of us.
And it is great with bacon!!!!

Perhaps others can chime in?
I'm cool with liver and onions. But I would prefer fried chicken livers with country gravy (white) with fresh cracked pepper in that gravy. Add sides of fresh sliced tomatoes - blackeyed peas - greens - fried okra and catfish - corn bread and for good measure start with a frosty cold beer and keep em coming. A southern fried mutant feast. Who's in?
Old 08-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #2723

Quote:

I'm cool with liver and onions. But I would prefer fried chicken livers with country gravy (white) with fresh cracked pepper in that gravy. Add sides of fresh sliced tomatoes - blackeyed peas - greens - fried okra and catfish - corn bread and for good measure start with a frosty cold beer and keep em coming. A southern fried mutant feast. Who's in?
Mmm-mmmm, stop it awready!!! C'n I marry you, or would I hafta do all that Southern cookin'? Oh wait; we're awready otherwise married.

This ol' married pair like our calves' liver w/both bacon and onion. And gravy. And greens, and...and...so on. The English half doesn't care for cornbread, catfish, or okra, but this half likes 'em all. Chicken gizzards by preference to livers. All to myself! Hafta share them 'maters, though.

Now: who's for fried dill pickles? (Let's forget the fried Twinkies for the moment!)

Cheers!
Sue
PS: Making Ramen burgers tonight. Anybody here who has eaten one yet?
Old 08-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #2724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post

Mmm-mmmm, stop it awready!!! C'n I marry you, or would I hafta do all that Southern cookin'? Oh wait; we're awready otherwise married.

This ol' married pair like our calves' liver w/both bacon and onion. And gravy. And greens, and...and...so on. The English half doesn't care for cornbread, catfish, or okra, but this half likes 'em all. Chicken gizzards by preference to livers. All to myself! Hafta share them 'maters, though.

Now: who's for fried dill pickles? (Let's forget the fried Twinkies for the moment!)

Cheers!
Sue
PS: Making Ramen burgers tonight. Anybody here who has eaten one yet?
Sue, I'm all in for all of it.
The fried dills would be first rate for sure.
Figgerin out to do all this neat stuff without gluten is quite a trick, but Nola has been able to do that in grand style.
Now, NOW, tell me about these ramen burgers, if you please. (Drool)
Old 08-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #2725

This discussion has just reached the LDL 600 level, and a screaming gall bladder alert. Maybe the greens will compensate for the mega-cholesterol. My personal fear of fried liver goes back to the day when my mom somehow managed to substitute sheep kidneys for liver. My siblings left the house with me trailing along behind. We went elsewhere for dinner.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #2726

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:

MartySQ - good to hear from you. I had followed your adventures with the Honey and we PM'd I believe several months ago as one of your threads had Honey sitting in a Ford lot needing a new engine as I recall! Seems you said she was honey of a Honey and back immune road.

What I don't recall is you declaring yourself to be an RVM along with this sage group of mutants. I know you are qualified! All that is required is to tell us a thing or two your Honey doesn't have and you don't miss - and of course the philosophy that the journey is the destination!

You can have a pass if ya want it - because I have followed your journey - but that deprives the other mutants of getting to know a little about you and the Honey! A few words please and you will be RVM 45! Or - there is the possibility of an admin error on my part. The current list of mutants in good standing are:

RVM Roster
RVM1 Campdaven PA
RVM2 flaggship1 TX
RVM3 jdoc TX
RVM4 4kids LA
RVM5 Papawto5 IN
RVM6 Big Oil Guy AZ
RVM7 Happy Prospector ??
RVM8 Shadowcache OH
RVM9 SylviaCub ID
RVM10 Dick Noble CO
RVM11 Woodburner OH
RVM12 dogpatch BC - Can
RVM13 Davedeb1 OH
RVM14 Wayne M TX
RVM15 Selah IN
RVM16 msbarth TN
RVM17 KSCRUDE KS
RVM18 okmunky / RVM Mascot Sena OK
RVM19 Toyduck NV
RVM20 Oldme GA
RVM21 Alan24601 CA
RVM22 Sky_Boss IL
RVM23 Dunner AZ
RVM24 bdickson NC (Retired Moderator)
RVM25 nwcountry OR
RVM26 mekanic OH
RVM27 TEFFY TX
RVM28 TLGPE FL
RVM29 timarti ON
RVM30 JudyH CO
RVM31 HerbnBarb TX
RVM32 huntnski AR
RVM33 YC1 CA
RVM34 Moonrover OH
RVM35 mtnmankev AZ
RVM36 Suspinz IL
RVM37 Flacamper FL
RVM38 Nhytefall IL
RVM39 PTJeep MI
RVM40 Possum BC - Can
RVM41 adamfolger CA
RVM42 wthur OH
RVM43 Mike_Harriet FL
RVM44 sfi4 NY

Good luck with the scrape, scrape, scrape! Let's make it official!

RVM2 -- Steve and Annie --
OK...here it is....Honey has no TV...don't need it. Honey has no rope lights. Honey has only basics and that's fine by us. A place to sleep, eat, fix food, store food, and sit inside when its raining outside, and an inside shower of his very own for dh who doesn't care for cement floors in public showers. Bess dog thinks Honey is her own personal dog crate. We live in Paola, Kansas. Am I still up for number 45?
Old 08-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #2727

Well I'm not in the position to make official evaluations, but you have my vote. All the "don't haves" are impressive. Of course they are "don't needs" as well.

Hope you are awarded the #45, it has been resting on the shelf for quite a while begging to be snapped up. Just as a heads up, it seems to be popular to have a mascot. I don't have one yet. Still hoping to stumble onto something though.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #2728

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ

OK...here it is....Honey has no TV...don't need it. Honey has no rope lights. Honey has only basics and that's fine by us. A place to sleep, eat, fix food, store food, and sit inside when its raining outside, and an inside shower of his very own for dh who doesn't care for cement floors in public showers. Bess dog thinks Honey is her own personal dog crate. We live in Paola, Kansas. Am I still up for number 45?
We have been waiting patiently to announce that MartySQ, Honey, DH and Bess are officially now and hereafter know as RVM45 with all the rights and privileges therein. You are free to journey around the RVMdom! Welcome aboard! We are glad to have ya!!

RVM2 -- Steve and Annie --

Ok mutants - Paola rhymes with payola - ante up and welcome RVM45 to the curiosity!
Old 08-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #2729

Vintage RV Owners Club
Curtsey, bows, playbows, and cough, cough, revvv's from us. Thank you for the welcome! RVM45
Old 08-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #2730

Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome aboard Honey. RVM32