Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #4313
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Just record him snoring and play it back for him in a continuous loop. Same sound as a B-52, right?
LOL
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #4314

[QUOTE=PTJeep;1755410]Barb & Dunner,

You have both shared some excellent memories, I can remember as a kid that we didnt live far from the Electric Company, and the original Oldsmobile Plant in Lansing, Michigan If you I sleep and I looked outside my upstairs bedroom window you could watch the lights on the smoke stacks blinking and on a clear night if you listened real close, you could hear the whistles not only of the trains moving completed cars out, but also the shift change whistles in the plant. My Dad was working afternoons at the Oldsmobile Plant then and when that whistle went off at 11:30 I knew that I had 15 minutes left before he would park his car and walk into the house, so I knew I had to be into bed and make no noise or he would know I was still awake. Thanks for jogging that memory.

Cheers !!! Great stories, all of them. But kind of sad. Detroit is in financial ruin and so is the American auto industry. Most of the few GM brands that are left build them in foreign countries. And most all the parts for Fords and others are made elsewhere. Nothing is American made anymore, and our economy is weak and we have no government on duty, not that you can tell much difference anyway!:
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #4315
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
The art of doing nothing takes practice, training, and of course retraining. The new void of doing nothing is filled with long days of a heavy schedule of "gotta finish this project" and "I don't get a break from all the lists to complete".

I thought retirement was going to be like my little avatar up there. Let me tell you, this old rooster got more rest like that during the "working years".

Being retired is very hard work. I never know when I finished!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #4316
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We are mutating a Millers Creek RV Park in Johnson city, and just catching up on the posts. Like all mutants, I know you don't "miss" me.

Ponder this. A glass has 50% water and 50% air, so it is full.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #4317

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
With thinking like that, Wayne has to be right 50% of the time.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #4318

iRV2 No Limits Club
The general area.
Another view:

Hot Springs, Arkansas - A Great Place to Retire? A Review of Housing, Cost of Living, Recreation, Medical and More
Old 10-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #4319

Quote:
We are mutating a Millers Creek RV Park in Johnson city, and just catching up on the posts. Like all mutants, I know you don't "miss" me.

Ponder this. A glass has 50% water and 50% air, so it is full.
Or it could be half full, or half empty, depending on you perspective on life.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #4320

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Well morning games are done and the girls are on a good roll so far. Three hour break till next game this afternoon..... Now where is Blue Bell Dr.? I know I hear them cows and they wanna talk to me!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #4321

[QUOTE=KSCRUDE;1755428]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJeep View Post
Barb & Dunner,

You have both shared some excellent memories, I can remember as a kid that we didnt live far from the Electric Company, and the original Oldsmobile Plant in Lansing, Michigan If you I sleep and I looked outside my upstairs bedroom window you could watch the lights on the smoke stacks blinking and on a clear night if you listened real close, you could hear the whistles not only of the trains moving completed cars out, but also the shift change whistles in the plant. My Dad was working afternoons at the Oldsmobile Plant then and when that whistle went off at 11:30 I knew that I had 15 minutes left before he would park his car and walk into the house, so I knew I had to be into bed and make no noise or he would know I was still awake. Thanks for jogging that memory.

Cheers !!! Great stories, all of them. But kind of sad. Detroit is in financial ruin and so is the American auto industry. Most of the few GM brands that are left build them in foreign countries. And most all the parts for Fords and others are made elsewhere. Nothing is American made anymore, and our economy is weak and we have no government on duty, not that you can tell much difference anyway!:
Hi Don,

Yes it's kind of sad the way things have gone for Michigan, in fact thats one of the many reasons why we decided to chuck it all and go into full timing and change our state of residence to South Dakota. Although GM is building in other places, I still support them as much as I can since my retirement comes from them. After having worked for GM for 30 years, I still have loyalty to them, and practice product loyalty as much as possible. The fact that I drive a Jeep is simply because the hummer was in my opinion to heavy to tow, although my coach could tow it just fine. Also I had always wanted a Jeep since I was 16 ... LOL ... so when I retired and started my second childhood I decided it was time to act upon my wish to own one. I feel very fortunate to have had the chance to Work for GM for so long and earn a pension, I know there are lots of places where that just isnt possible anymore. I was also fortunate to have the means to have my own business as well, and I dont regret it one minute, that being said, I dont regret closing my business when my wife retired either. It was all part of the plan to become full timers and start seeing all the places we had to drive past before because there just wasnt anytime left in the vacation to see them. Now we stop look and enjoy and if it takes us an extra day or two or more to get someplace, so what.

One thing I think is great though is that GM, Ford and Chrysler are making great strides to become better, and that they are now offering better products and once more coming up with great innovations that others are not. Granted its only the tip of the iceberg when you discuss whats happened to many things American, and you could spend years trying to solve the many problems we face each and everyday, Governmental and Business wise. Detroit is also one of those places that just figured they could keep taking and taxing without repercussion, and it has come back to bite them 10 fold. I guess what it all boils down to is personal responsibility, and trying always to stand up for what is right, I dont think there is anything wrong with being self reliant, and giving a helping hand where you can give it, it is wrong to take from those that have worked hard to get what they have and give it to others that simply want to be cared for.

I hope I havent stepped on any toes.

Cheers !!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #4322
KAS

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I lived in an apartment so close to the tracks that the doors and windows rattled with each passing train -- and there were LOTS of trains..... about 3 am one Christmas morning instead of the usual series of whistle sounds at the nearby crossing, the conductor tooted Jingle Bells.
GREAT story! My very first apartment was in a run down complex right next to a RR track and they did indeed blow that horn, day or night. I loved it, got so used to the noise that I hardly noticed them, but also paced my day by them. Usually they were right on time.

I love being able to hear the trains. We can hear them on clear quiet nights where we are now, but aren't real close.

OH! right at this moment I hear the horn blowing at the crossing a mile or so down the road from us. NICE!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #4323
KAS

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Or it could be half full, or half empty, depending on you perspective on life.
My darling hubby says our motto ought to be a joyful, "Hey! I got a glass!"
Old 10-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #4324

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS View Post
My darling hubby says our motto ought to be a joyful, "Hey! I got a glass!"

Smirks,

I have one of those all purpose glasses, and there is no standing on formality for me. It can hold wine, beer or anything you can imagine putting in it. Not only that it doesnt get tipped over easy even if you dont set it down quite right. who needs special glasses for wine or martini's or margarita's just pour it in and drink....

Cheers !!!
Old 10-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #4325
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
This is the type we use for everything. Triple wall insulated with straw.
Attached Images

Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #4326

Quote:
Just record him snoring and play it back for him in a continuous loop. Same sound as a B-52, right?
Hahahaha,

When my dad retired from GM's plant #3 the boss made a recording of the sheet metal presses just banging away, I think it was an hour long, just so he wouldnt forget what life was like inside the plant. My Dad retired in 1988 and I had just finished my Machine Repair apprenticeship about two years before he retired, and I was fortunate enough to get to be his work partner for about a year before he retired. When we worked in the plant you always sent at least two repairmen out on a job for safety reasons, its not that way any longer sadly. But that was a high point in my employment with GM being able to work in the same trade as my father, and being able to work with him as well. I also can remember just after I was lucky enough to get hired into the same plant that he worked in, that when I had my work for the day completed I could always find what job he was working on and just watch and observe what he was doing, that came in real handy when I was taking classes during my apprenticeship.

I will save a great camping story for the curiosity, around the campfire.

Cheers !!!