Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2013, 06:09 AM   #5965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
Smoking When I took classes in substance abuse prevention and treatment, it was stated that quitting smoking is harder than quitting heroin. It has been made that way deliberately by the likes of R.J. Reynolds gene engineering and manipulating the tobacco.
I don't doubt that one bit. With sales threatened, it would be so easy to manipulate the amount of nicotine in the delivery device. I think it was proven that they did that. I noticed my brand becoming harsher and harsher over the years. I went from regular to light to ultralight. It got to the point where I didn't enjoy them anymore. The flavor was gone and they did nothing but burn my throat and cause the cancer. There was no more calming effect from having one.

I resulted to using plastic stick on filters that limited the tar and flavor to a point. Plus the Gov't made them take off the Mild, Light and Ultralight labels. They now call them Gold or Silver. All they are doing is putting more or less holes in the filter end, causing you to draw longer or multiple puffs to compensate. This made them get a hotter "cuff", as mom called the tip, and dry out the "hit".

The throat cancer, chemo, radiation, wearing the patch and putting them out of site has helped the most. There are still battles to be fought. I guess locking them in a drawer would help even more, Right now I hide the lighter and cigarettes under a hat, the stinky suppository for the dead coffin nails is still there. Don't want to put it under the hat and stink it up. I'll go look for a big box. Guess it would make them less desirable.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #5966

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I too have been considering a water softener for Infinity, but so far am am still just pondering.
Dunner, you are on the right track, it is a matter of finding the right keys to quitting. Another thing I did was put the money I would have spent in a separate place. I paid for the Line-X in the truck when we got it, also for the new hitch, with the stash of cash. It added up so fast I was shocked. And back then at a carton a week it was only $38 a week. My co-worker quit by replacing the cigs with cinnamon altoids, he said it killed his taste buds for the smoke.
Good Luck;
Old 11-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #5967
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I used "Champix" to quit (twice). Works like a charm!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #5968

The radiation killed my taste bugs. Slowly coming back. Had a can of Hormel BBQ Vienna Sausage that wasn't too bad. Still, when they juice is gone, it takes the flavor with it, so it's like eating cardboard again. Getting tired of opening stuff and just having to cap it again before it's consumed completely. Gotta try soup again.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #5969

Les, If you need something to read while Mom is sleeping, I can send you a stack of new Car and Driver mags. Just PM your addy or the hospital and room #. I was just going to take them to Dr appts and leave them.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #5970

Water softener: this is a dynamic topic.

After 2 years and all kinds of water, no effect on water heater. Porcelain toidy is gleaming. Dont have (dont need :-)....) W/D, D/W, ice maker.
Water with natural soluble minerals is great tasting. Grew up with it. My big whole-house filter keeps out all solids.
It comes down to what would be the gain for me, where would I put it, how much does it cost to buy and operate, how often must it be recharged, and how long does it last before it dies?

Smoking: You must admit it was the best business plan ever: addiction.
I quit twice. 1997 and last June. After 5 months, not totally done being Mr Grumpy at times. Cold turkey with patch. But my BMI expansion program has been very successful. One battle at a time!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #5971

I need to increase my BMI. I'm like skin and bone after months of lack of taste buds.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #5972
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Smoking: Camel cigarettes without the filters was my choice for so many years. Finally switched to a pipe and found out I was inhaling just as much, if not more, with the pipe. Then switched to Levi Garret chewing tobacco, leaf type.

Then, sometime in the early eighties I saw a 60 minute presentation on chewing tobacco, specifically the "Skoal" box types. It showed so many different cancers that were of the facial area that was a wake up call. I put down the leafy stuff and never chewed or smoked again.

It is a very difficult thing to do, no question about it. Firs, one has to want to quit. Second, it is mind of matter.
-------------

BMI: Please, please, all you people losing weight would you please stop! I keep finding it. It has gotten to the point that when I order food I ask for Scotch Tape. I figure I can just tape it to where I want it to appear.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #5973
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Water Softener

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Water softener: this is a dynamic topic.

After 2 years and all kinds of water, no effect on water heater. Porcelain toidy is gleaming. Dont have (dont need :-)....) W/D, D/W, ice maker.
Water with natural soluble minerals is great tasting. Grew up with it. My big whole-house filter keeps out all solids.
It comes down to what would be the gain for me, where would I put it, how much does it cost to buy and operate, how often must it be recharged, and how long does it last before it dies?
In the true Mutant Spirit.....Don't have and don't need one and therefore......Don't miss it!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #5974
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Fishing:

Went out fishing with a friend yesterday. (Yes, I do have one friend!) We had an enjoyable day, and caught our limit of Flounder. Unfortunately for us and fortunately for the Flounder the limit during the month of November is 2. Size has to be over 14" long. We easily exceeded that with the limit. Caught some little ones we threw back.

There were 3 gentlemen from Fort Hood fishing along side us. Wow, that's about 250 miles of travel to fish for two flounder each. They were not doing to well, so as we were leaving my fishing partner and I decided to let them have out catch. I think we were just to lazy to clean them. They wanted to know our secret of catching them so we gave them some verbal instructions. They were appreciative and we had a good day.

Oh, one of them caught a 41" Red. He tagged it and kept it.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #5975

Winnebago Owners Club
Quoting smoking was easy. I must've done it a hundred times -- before I really stopped. Three packs a day. Quit the last time in 1976. Every once in a blue moon I still miss it.

Not to change the subject, but my oil change just cost over $1,400! I've mutated into a charitable organization for mechanics. Of course, they did a few "extras", but seriously?!? Now, I just need to have that pesky water leak on the Jeep Wrangler fixed...
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #5976
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Ok you guys got me hungry for Mexican food prepared by Mexicans, Mary grab your coupons, we're going to Taco Bell
Oh senior, don't forget Taco Cabana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
2.5 weeks left. We are taking a great circle route via Macon GA (grand kids), Plano TX (Flaggship1 turf), Montgomery TX (niece), Austin TX (just because we want to) then finally Alamo TX for winter base of ops.

Our grand solo caravan begins about Noon on Nov 27th and gets us to Alamo by Dec 20th. Looking forward to seeing you again.
Is your niece in Montgomery proper, or Montgomery County. It's all about an hour and a half from us and we like that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
In the true Mutant Spirit.....Don't have and don't need one and therefore......Don't miss it!
X2, and besides I like to feel like the soap got off the body an not like a slide ride!
Old 11-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #5977

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Pondering the feeling and smells associated with cleaning out the Honey and getting her ready for her long winter's nap. Was a bit nostalgic...I spent a good deal of time wondering why do I pack so much into such a small rv? Why don't I use everything I pack? How many trips will it take until I hit the perfect blend of just enough? So far...been on 6-7 short trips and one longer 2 week one. Every time I pare back in an area but I'm still packing out too much at end of season. Sigh....
A long time ago we decided that the NH would have it's own "stuff". Such as slow cooker. roaster/toaster, electric skillet, and pots and pans. We also leave a lot of clothes and coats in their because I don't want to be a pack horse for a day. We do clean out the ref of the veggies and spoilabules(sp). All of the can goods stay there and I do a replacement shopping trip shortly after we get home. When we get ready to go all I have to buy is meat, veggies, bread and milk.

When everyone was talking about TEXAS sayings, Wayne forgot to tell you that us Texans are sometimes "fixin'" to do something. IE: I'm fixin' to go to the mall, or I'm fixin' to start dinner. I haven't heard that word used by any other breed (group) of people.

It sure has been some great days to sit out on the patio, sip tea and THINK about what needs to be done. The B-I-L trimmed the grass for me when Stephanie was in ICU and now the 50 amp plug needs to be replaced. He mascured (6 tries at spelling with no luck) that darn thing.
TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #5978

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH View Post
Barb, I am still in the pondering stage of where, how to get a dishwasher installed, but thanks for the tip about Fisher Paykel. I will definitely check that one out!
We have winterized Infinity. Blown out the lines, pumped pink stuff into the pump and dumped the p-traps full of pink stuff.
Sadly, wishing we could go off for a weekend or even a week or so, now. Isn't that just how it is? We really want to go, but do we really want to go through all the routine of winterizing again? NO!! Not yet. And the nights have been in the 20's here already, so it is definitely needed to have it frost-proofed.
C'mon Springtime!!!

Judy:

I looked at how often I used the oven and decided that after 3 mo on the road it was not a single time. So the next time we got home I removed the oven/stove and cut the oven off and put a dishwasher in it's place. DW liked the old dishwasher but I was tired of doing them. If I hadn't just had the counter top replaced before we left I would have installed a cooktop.

TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote