Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #15401

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Sue, is Martin installing a wiring harness? We have a CoolTech harness but some people prefer the Mopar. There are lots of knowledgeable Jeep owners that monitor the Motorhome Towing section.
Hi Sarah - Long time no speak!

Yes, I'm currently involved in getting our brand new Jeep Cherokee fitted up for toad duties. I have the Demco Baseplate(s) in stock and am waiting for my bust wrist to gain some strength and motion (and lose pain!) before taking down the front fascia and bolting them in. In the meantime, with Sue's help, I've run a flat 4-wire cable set from the engine compartment, through the firewall, under the door sills and into a small compartment under the trunk floor.

I looked up 'CoolTech Harness' and this seems to be specifically for Wranglers. What I'm using is basically a generic cable set and diode kit supplied by Demco. At the rear, the plan was to splice that cable set into the tail lights using the diodes (to prevent back feed). I'm a bit concerned, however, that this arrangement, when used in conjunction with a supplementary brake, may cause a problem with turn signals in that the Jeep brake light (which operates with the ignition OFF) will override the turn signal sent back by the coach.

I didn't have this problem on the Wrangler as I fitted 2 large LED turn/brake/tail lights into the back bumper. I would like to do the same on the Cherokee but there aren't any nice flat vertical surfaces. Decision on what approach to take is pending.

At the front, the umbilical between the coach and the Jeep is a flex coil 7-pin to 6-pin cable which will, apart from the lighting circuits, carry a constant 12v feed that will maintain the Jeep's battery charge.

No decision yet on the brand of supplementary brake. Would you believe, some Mutant here (who shall remain nameless) does not believe it necessary!

Best regards,

Martin
MartinC is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #15402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawto5 View Post
Fellow mutants - - remember pic, space, pic, space, pic, space, pic, space. The devil made me say this.

When you use the mobile app to upload multiple photos, you have to go back and manually insert a space.... I know NOW.......

Diane is holding my iPad using iRV2 mobile app........ So excuse the finger slides, please...
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #15403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
Checking the forum on the way in to your play date with your son's friends, eh? I would have too.

Okay, here goes: Attachment 62368 This is after 1 hour's work/play. The outline base was projected and enlarged, then traced. No drawing involved.

Attachment 62369 Here's a copy of the original picture, an African Orchid Vine blossom I picked up off the ground in the Everglades last year. I'm editing out my hand so the flower will float over the background, much as the first flower does.

You know, I only started doing these to improve my pencil skills as a prelude to something else: portraits of my cats. Who knows when I'll get around to them now!

Rest easy now, and as people keep saying: milk it for all it's worth!

Cheers!
Sue

Sue,

I love this... Great beginnings...... Thanks for sharing....

Diane is holding my iPad using iRV2 mobile app........ So excuse the finger slides, please...
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #15404

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
..... But I love my smoker. May need to get me one of those fryers Tim had and a Q Grill - all I need next is a vendor license and a few more RVM recipes to open up shop. !!

You might want an ice cream freezer, too. Papaw Steve and Mary Ann make a mean strawberry ice cream.

Let us know where you're opening up shop and we'll all beat a path to your door.

Cheers!
Sue
Old 05-08-2014, 03:32 PM   #15405

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
I am doing amazingly well. Of course got royal treatment. That was great. Both sons were in recovery as well as Larry. Felt so special. Laproscopy worked well but had to do one incision larger because of stone size. No nausea at all. Just took pain pill cause cant sleep. So groggy soon. But all is good and well. Thanks all.
Well Diane you must be doing better than expected. Around 7 this morning I predicted you would be posting by 3pm, you beat that by about 30 min. lol

Glad your doing fine!
Old 05-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #15406

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Steve, uh remember in order to fully ride the rainbow you can't have a j*b and that includes owning a restaurant. Save all those great recipes for future GCs.

If some of our lurkers would join IRV2 and then declare their mutant status, they too could join us for these luscious culinary delights and not have to pay those high restaurant prices. We could be having GCs two or more times per year in different parts of the country.

The question is... How many mutants does it take to have a Grande Curiosity (aka big rally of RV Mutants)? What was the final total in Arkansas? 23? 24? I lost count with the party crashers turned mutants and all. I was too busy having fun to count heads.

Hmmm, I wonder who might have that info?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #15407

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequrtzl View Post
Hey, I have a relative (general Carter) that fought in TN in my genealogy, but with so many Carters sure it is just a coincidence, but who knows, maybe somewhere down the line all us mutants are related, that would explain allot
My family came from NC. At least that is what we have found so far. Wow that would be something if we all cousins. Maybe that explains the kindred spirit.
Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:50 PM   #15408

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
This is starting to sound like a Kentuk thread!!!
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #15409

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does anybody hear banjos?
Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #15410
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
Hi Sarah - Long time no speak!

Yes, I'm currently involved in getting our brand new Jeep Cherokee fitted up for toad duties. I have the Demco Baseplate(s) in stock and am waiting for my bust wrist to gain some strength and motion (and lose pain!) before taking down the front fascia and bolting them in. In the meantime, with Sue's help, I've run a flat 4-wire cable set from the engine compartment, through the firewall, under the door sills and into a small compartment under the trunk floor.

I looked up 'CoolTech Harness' and this seems to be specifically for Wranglers. What I'm using is basically a generic cable set and diode kit supplied by Demco. At the rear, the plan was to splice that cable set into the tail lights using the diodes (to prevent back feed). I'm a bit concerned, however, that this arrangement, when used in conjunction with a supplementary brake, may cause a problem with turn signals in that the Jeep brake light (which operates with the ignition OFF) will override the turn signal sent back by the coach.

I didn't have this problem on the Wrangler as I fitted 2 large LED turn/brake/tail lights into the back bumper. I would like to do the same on the Cherokee but there aren't any nice flat vertical surfaces. Decision on what approach to take is pending.

At the front, the umbilical between the coach and the Jeep is a flex coil 7-pin to 6-pin cable which will, apart from the lighting circuits, carry a constant 12v feed that will maintain the Jeep's battery charge.

No decision yet on the brand of supplementary brake. Would you believe, some Mutant here (who shall remain nameless) does not believe it necessary!

Best regards,

Martin
Hey there, Martin. I'm glad to hear that your wrist is improving. Sounds like it has not slowed you down from getting your new Jeep all gussied up for towing! I forgot that the CoolTech is made for Wranglers...duh. However there is a Mopar wiring harness that Jeep sells.

I'm sure you have already scanned the towing section to glean any info you might find useful. As for the supplemental brake.... I don't consider those to be "optional." Safety first, always.

Take care and don't overdo it with the wrist.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:15 PM   #15411
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
I am doing amazingly well. Of course got royal treatment. That was great. Both sons were in recovery as well as Larry. Felt so special. Laproscopy worked well but had to do one incision larger because of stone size. No nausea at all. Just took pain pill cause cant sleep. So groggy soon. But all is good and well. Thanks all.
Glad it's over and you're doing well. You will be SO GLAD you had this done!
Old 05-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #15412

Right OH, sorry I missed your call Mate...will give you a ring.

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #15413

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyduck
Right OH, sorry I missed your call Mate...will give you a ring.
Who dat say quack quack?
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #15414

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Martin and all,

Here's a list by state of the towing laws. This should settle the issue of supplemental braking.

http://www.readybrake.com/state_laws.html

Some states say 1500 pounds. Is that the weight of the vehicle and it's contents? I imagine it is. My car only weighs 1480# , but there's more than 20# of stuff in it. A LOT more. It has become the overflow or keep it safe from Sena trailer.

Not that it matters, I have a ReadyBrake Elite towbar that has the braking built into it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote