Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #22471

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Aren't we all...
Still no word on exact date for mail coming your way. Do you have my phone number?
Um, don't think so... I'll PM you mine.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #22472

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Um, don't think so... I'll PM you mine.
Mine is on its way to you...
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #22473

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mel,
As many have stated, the Class 'A' has many advantages. Gas vs. Diesel is a discussion that will go on forever. I had [in my former life] a 30 footer 'A' Gasser years ago & loved it [stepped up from a Pop-Up]. When the time came to get the one we now have [& will keep forever] we were looking for a used, Gasser 'A'. But with the price of the 39 footer 'A' Diesel we bought, we could never be happier. (By the way, my DW [DIWIZI=Diane] had a Class 'C' in her former life). Diane has driver the new one several times without any problems. Fear...YES, I was scared!!!! There are so many advantages with the 'A' Diesel: #1 being STORAGE, STORAGE & more STORAGE; #2 is the washer/dryer combo that we had installed [Diane cannot live without it]; #3 driving height...one can see sooooooo much more in an 'A' vs. 'C' [it's about the journey], as well as being able to see the traffic way, way ahead of you. The list goes on & on & on, and the ride in the 'A' diesel is beyond comfortable, and we have a low end 'A' diesel model = not all of those super beefed up riade assist toys.

Here are some pics, showing what you can see in the 'A' [Pic on Left] vs. 'C'[Pic on right]. amd last Pic is from a State Park in Oregon:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bridge from MH_A.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	74304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bridge from Class C.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	74305  

Name:	Falls Pic from MH_A.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	74306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Falls Pic from Class C.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	74307  

Name:	CG at Destin MH_A.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	331.3 KB
ID:	74308   Click image for larger version

Name:	CG at Destin Class C.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	74309  

Name:	Oregon State Park.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	74310  
Old 09-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #22474

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow... and that is from sitting down or standing up in it?
I am getting an idea of what I would like should we ever upgrade... as the spousal unit keeps accumulating more 'toys' I keep thinking... hmmm, eventually it will be my turn(money wise) to get a new toy again... we shall see.... my idea of toys defiantly cost more than his, and I've always prided myself on not being a high maintenance mama...but I might have to change my thought processes a bit....mulling the mutations.....
Old 09-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #22475

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
Steve, Steve ... you live with Annie, I live with Kate. Reason has nothing to do with it. Kate has a certain comfort-level with this whole project. Some of it is her perception of the financial side of it: Class C Ford V10 Triton less expensive in the shop than a Class A diesel; mpg better in Class C than Class A and over course of a year could add up to a few hundred bucks. Etc, etc. Then there is her perception that she can drive a C, but not an A.

Actually, though, your point is well taken. I think I'll suggest to her that we go for a test drive, as you suggest. Maybe if we test-drive both in the same afternoon she will see and feel the difference enough to consider an A. There are SO many more As out there to choose from than there are Cs!

She has said that she would be willing to look at an A in a couple of years. I'll suggest we push that to now.

Melanie (not-a-dude )

ok this coming from a certified engine tech stay away from the v10fuel mpg will suck and repairs on a v10 are not cheap. they do have a lot of power but they have two more cyl. then a v8 giving it more parts to replace like plugs wires ect. I know people that love them and more times then not people that hate them. stay with a v8 if your going class c you don't need the power of the v10 heck my v8 works great in my 33' class A pulling a truck with a Harley in the bed of the truck.
just think about it!

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:06 PM   #22476

Vintage RV Owners Club
hey 48... Shara still sick? Saw she wasn't thrilled with the small bathroom when sick.....
Old 09-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #22477

also If your in BFE WY. like near Afton WY. and need any work on your DP or gas for that matter oil change or major work Miles performance is the place to go the owner is Tyson and all the dealers is the area call him for advice. I can pm a number if anyone needs it

Old 09-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #22478

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Ooo Ahhh is that Bella at the Cracker Barrel in Malta... ?

Always did have trouble sticking to the assignment!
Old 09-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #22479

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
C vs A, Gas vs Diesel

Ok, here's my perspective on the issues.

I've been full time in a cheap Class C since May, 2011. I knew next to nothing about motorhomes when I bought mine. I'm pretty handy for a woman, but I never learned engines and vehicles. I bought new because it's really easy to get ripped off if you seek repairs and don't know what you shouldn't be charged for. I bought what I thought I could afford at the time.

Knowing what I now know, I wish I had bought a better quality, used, small Class A gas. The Winnebago Vista 27N is a good example. But, with all the mention of slide issues, I think I am better off without them. I don't need a lot of space, that's what the outdoors is for. The driver and co-pilot seats on an A are more usable than on a C, but Sena would be lost without her cab-over retreat.

We don't stay in a lot of RV parks. That's just not my style. I prefer staying on property owned by friends and family and boondock when on the drive. Most National Parks are surrounded by National Forests and you can park free in most NFs. I installed solar panels on my roof and bought 2 golf cart batteries that manage our power needs well.

There are times when leveling is a pain, but with a little scouting for a level spot, I don't do a lot of it. Definitely not enough to justify the expense in terms of $ and weight.

I am familiar with the concepts a gas engine presents, some of the stuff you DP people talk about is Greek to me. That translates into ca-ching for repairs and maintanence. That and diesel exhaust is much nastier smelling.

Bottom line? Buy what feels right for you and your spouse. I get to make all the big decisions without any dissenting votes. Most important? Get out and enjoy whatever you buy.

No one has brought up the subject of insurance. Is there any advantage given to any Moho or fuel type?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #22480

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Tim I still have my faculties thank you very much! Can't speak for Father Time aka Wayne.

Mel as has already been stated, diesel Vs. Gas for me comes down to how your gonna use it, part time vs full time, quite a bit of mileage per year vs only a few shorter trips. How long will you keep it before you get another one? The definite advantages with a diesel are better fuel mileage and air ride suspension ( worth it's weight in gold) less engine stress than gasser, much quieter ride, much much longer engine life too. If upfront cost increase in diesel vs gas is not a hindrance go for the diesel cause you will be glad you did. IMHO.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #22481

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mel - this is such a fun topic for we mutants cause ya know - the first requirement is - we don't miss what we don't have. Lol. They're are a couple ways to achieve this rainbow nirvana ... one is to be sure - very sure - you have what you need. ✌ That's need - not want or would like to have. When our needs our met - and we're on the rainbow - everything else including green eyed jealousy just fall away and exists no more...

The hard truth is though - a mistake in purchase can cost you dearly - whether that is because you have to keep something that doesn't meet your needs because you can't sell it effectively - or it eats ya alive in fixits...

Get the sale contingent on an independent inspection and hopefully we can help ya find an inspector.

I hope you don't feel like we tied you to a couple horses headed in opposite directions... but we really are trying to be supportive and helpful. LOL.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #22482

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne & Shara View Post
also If your in BFE WY. like near Afton WY. and need any work on your DP or gas for that matter oil change or major work Miles performance is the place to go the owner is Tyson and all the dealers is the area call him for advice. I can pm a number if anyone needs it
Dang Dwayne, this is the most I've ever seen you on the forum!!!!

I hope my home state is treating you well. I didn't make it up there this year, due to unexpected circumstances. Otherwise, we could have caught up with each other.

THANKS, but no plans of going to WY. We did the Western route last year. I sure do appreciate the offer & will keep it in mind.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #22483

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Wow... and that is from sitting down or standing up in it?
I am getting an idea of what I would like should we ever upgrade... as the spousal unit keeps accumulating more 'toys' I keep thinking... hmmm, eventually it will be my turn(money wise) to get a new toy again... we shall see.... my idea of toys defiantly cost more than his, and I've always prided myself on not being a high maintenance mama...but I might have to change my thought processes a bit....mulling the mutations.....
Sitting
Old 09-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #22484

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeelarry View Post
Dang Dwayne, this is the most I've ever seen you on the forum!!!!

I hope my home state is treating you well. I didn't make it up there this year, due to unexpected circumstances. Otherwise, we could have caught up with each other.

THANKS, but no plans of going to WY. We did the Western route last year. I sure do appreciate the offer & will keep it in mind.
some times more then others