Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #22485
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post
Marty, Barb, Dave, Wayne and others I see my memory couldn't fit in...Glad to here from y'all again. Sorry missed ya the first post.
Memory? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne & Shara View Post
Well I'll say that I have a gas class A wish I had A DP but money said no. and on my 33' motorhome I get 6mpg no matter what up hill down hill flat ground mine is a 454 chevy and oil changes are cheap same as a pick up. tune up same as a pick up. how ever oil changes every 3k it adds up. a DP on the other hand I think I'm right on this 9mpg and oil change every 7k at the same cost as an 18 wheeler. so about $200 each time. but with a DP you can pull more lbs behind it. also a engine brake is nice for them mountain runs. also for a used DP you can look to spend about 25k or more over a gas class A. hope this helps. in my opinion A DP is the way to go if your pocket says ok at first. they last longer.
Cummins is now 15,000 miles or 1 year, which ever comes first for maintenance. Much better than the 6-7K they used to have.

I'm running a 340 HP cummins ISB pulling a Lincoln MKX. We left June 13 from Texas City - on over to the Right Coast, up to New England, across to Niagara and across the lower part of Canada, up around the Lakes and headed home. I'm sitting at 9.2 mpg average. Not bad for 30,000+ tow pounds.

Just so you know, there are a lot of Class A/B MH's out there that are 30 feet or less. Here's one: Winnebago Motorhomes - 2015 Via
or 2014 ACE Class A Motorhome Floor Plans (Best Class A & C RV). Just search on "small class a motorhome" without the quotes.

Do not fear driving. The only thing to fear is fear itself. As others have stated, the dealer - if he is a good one - will let you drive it and drive it back if you get upset. If you do purchase one, go to a large parking lot on a Sunday (like a big church in the middle of the week) and practice.

Just remember that typically a person drives where they are looking so follow the rule of looking where you want to go. If you are looking in your mirrors to much you will drift one way or another. It is very nice to know what is around you but don't get fixated on it.

Then, there is always a driving school that will give you much reassurance.

"Just do it!"
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #22486

R U an RV Mutant too?

May I summarize?

Mel and Kate. Lots of choices.
Lots of info from RVMs that really care about you!
Only one choice is yours.

When you see it, you will know!

The Rainbow awaits you, and I will standby to help you celebrate!

We have had 4 MHs. They all fit, at the time! 😉😙😇😀
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:04 PM   #22487

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^^ it is quite possible that one day I will own a Def sipping DP - but I was happy to find something I liked that does not use it. Of course Bonita is a mere pup compared to the big ISLs and yet I don't miss anything at all. I especially do not miss Def.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:20 PM   #22488

Newmar Owners Club
Hi all. Healing OHMMMMMs to those in need. Don, our thoughts and prayers are with you. Geesh. I take a weekend off and "W" piles on. but have been playing . Steve..... glad to know the body is ready for the rainbow, now for the mind to..... well you know. Glad Sue and Martin are back home and Mel like was said earlier, you will know which one is right for you and DW. Sorry I have missed roll call, but will try and stay on track. I agree with Sue, Cracker Barrel need bigger RV parking spaces, we took them all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1341050301772.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	74338  
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:03 PM   #22489
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Went to a buffet today.
Hope you like the pictures.
Sorry you missed the meal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0038.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	74342   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0039.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	74343  

Name:	IMG_0040.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	74344   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0041.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	74345  

Old 09-19-2014, 09:03 PM   #22490
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Can you say Lobstah!
Old 09-19-2014, 09:07 PM   #22491

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Went to a buffet today.
Hope you like the pictures.
Sorry you missed the meal.
What was everyone else having?
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #22492

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sadly the National Rally comes to a close. Like so many mutants that have met wuther at the GC or any of the mini-c's around the country, we find this departure equally sad.

The mutant contingency started the final day here with a breakfast hosted by Rezman then a steak and tofu meal at huntnski's. And if that wasn't enough we gathered for ice cream at the snack bar with many other IRV2 members, many which I'm sure will soon be lurking!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	74346  
Old 09-19-2014, 09:28 PM   #22493

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Sadly the National Rally comes to a close. Like so many mutants that have met wuther at the GC or any of the mini-c's around the country, we find this departure equally sad.

The mutant contingency started the final day here with a breakfast hosted by Rezman then a steak and tofu meal at huntnski's. And if that wasn't enough we gathered for ice cream at the snack bar with many other IRV2 members, many which I'm sure will soon be lurking!
My heart is all a'flutter - you mutants did yourself and the RVMDOM proud. Ed - Jackie - those mugs will find their way to ya soon.

Thanks Tim - Hi Mary and Mary and Elizabeth. We have ya on our agenda!!!
Old 09-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #22494

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post

Fine lookin' group of STMs! Great ambassadors fursure!

Hope them lurkers can pass the arduous test...we need all the help we can get.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #22495

Vintage RV Owners Club
Loved seeing the last pic of you rally going mutants together! Sadly... I never saw a piece of bacon posted from the rally... next year, we will have to get more mutants there and remedy that little problem! (for where there are mutants... there shall be bacon)

So, this evening, I sat down and chopped up a bunch of cucumbers and tomatoes and made the mix for Bloody Mary Kombucha... Oh my, I think the pico de gallo mix was a little strong on the peppers! whoo! I tried a little... if ya like it spicy... I'll save ya some! (I'll be cutting it with tomato juice I think when I have it after it ferments a bit until it gets fizzy...)
Old 09-19-2014, 10:09 PM   #22496
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Morning Mel and all mutants everywhere...

Jim - Ginny - where are you? Mel is in need of your Class A Gas Insights...

Mel - bigger even than the Class A B C C+ ETC debate is the Diesel or Gas Debate. It will come down to youze... that's you and how you use it. So the hole in the whole thing is the... donut make ya crazy of I'll have a bacon donut please - sweet or savory... what's your preference... sorry about that �� I know it was no help.

That said - I am glad I at least said something... because you are asking the right questions and thinking out loud... there are lots of threads on the gas V diesel debate - and others can give their thoughts on it. Right now I have to go lower the bike rack on the CRV for Annie - she wants to pack some things in and take em to storage... cause - did I mention - I'm retiring and we're going full time Oct/Nov lol...

Good Luck...
PS - the first time I saw your "not a dude" signature - I thought - I know that... does she think I have lost my mind - and then I saw it again... and realized it was not directed at me.... Ok Wayne - Tim - Herb --- I opened the door on the status and location of my mind.... your turn. ��
Oh, a friendly, well-meaning fellow on the thread referred to me as "dude." I have to laugh. With a name like Mel, who knows if you're a dude or a gal?! Thus the "not a dude" tag. I'm done with it, though.

On to the very serious business of whether to look for a DP or gasser A. I will started reading posts about the pros and cons of both.

Steve, I am excited for you and Annie to lift off for your Rainbow adventure. WOW! We will be very interested to read and hear about life on the road.

Later, dude. ;-)
Mel
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:21 PM   #22497

iRV2 No Limits Club
yall are truly STMs. Well I spent two months at FT Cobb state park and now at my daughters farm, lost a jack spring and had to put it up by prying with my crutch!!!!!
also have a 120v short to the frame, makes the whole thing hot, that shouldn`t take too long as most everything is 12v. I boondocked today running the genny so no body got killed.
Had my happy meal today so everythings kool and I don`t care ;^)
WAGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #22498

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Loved seeing the last pic of you rally going mutants together! Sadly... I never saw a piece of bacon posted from the rally... next year, we will have to get more mutants there and remedy that little problem! (for where there are mutants... there shall be bacon)

So, this evening, I sat down and chopped up a bunch of cucumbers and tomatoes and made the mix for Bloody Mary Kombucha... Oh my, I think the pico de gallo mix was a little strong on the peppers! whoo! I tried a little... if ya like it spicy... I'll save ya some! (I'll be cutting it with tomato juice I think when I have it after it ferments a bit until it gets fizzy...)
Marty - my BIL James from the GC is here tonight and we're having a few conventional drinks - he's asking if this is the same mix ya had at the Bloody Mary Morning at the GC ??? And if so - he wants me to be sure we get it into the RVM Cookbook. Remember these guys..

BTW - nice chatting this evening - turned out the interrupting call was not work but our fellow mutant Larry - Pushed Around ---
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1411187019384.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	74349