Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2014, 11:11 PM   #22513

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oops mmmm - that was the beach and I can't delete it... let me see if I can fix this...
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2014, 11:27 PM   #22514
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Mel,
I can't remember if you are planning on full timing... but that is probably one of the biggest considerations in your decision. If you don't think Kates is gonna be happy full timing, I'd sure ease into it with a gasser C type unit until you are sure it is worth the money for a dp...even at half timing, finances would be a big consideration.
As for maintenance... I live south of Kansas city area, in a small town... and we had to do some looking even for our only 11 ft high type c for a place that would take Honey on her first emergency visit... bay height and lift tolerances were considerations and just not wanting to work on those van engines half on the inside...LOL! there are 2 places in our very small town who will. Dealers are ok and usually have the equipment to handle it... but I like someone who is local and cares more.

BTW... the dude who took honey in to work on her got the rest of our fleet business as a reward now, too. You'd think with only the 2 of us, 2 vehicles would be plenty... oh no... there's 2 everyday cars, a truck , a convertible, the trailer with his power chute, and the motorhome now all parked in our parking lot.
Hey, Marty. Thanks for the tips. Kate actually would have lived FT in our 26', one-slide model Trail Lite tt! She absolutely loves RVing. She just is a careful planner and analyzes everything a lot. I'm the impulsive one. "Found a mh that'll work, so lets buy it!" She has to reign me in and I have to jump-start her imagination. We're actually a good team because of that!

But this mh decision is huge. We need to "get it right" the first time.
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:29 PM   #22515
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Oops mmmm - that was the beach and I can't delete it... let me see if I can fix this...
It's ok. Don't worry about it. Really.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:35 PM   #22516

Vintage RV Owners Club
a mod can fix it.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:37 PM   #22517

Solo Rvers Club
Mel, Read a lot of posts here on IRV2 and a lot of them them say to buy your last coach first, some say your 3rd coach first.....So think about that....I tend to agree with them. Most say once they started to live in it their first coach was too small. Not trying to rush you...just trying to help with ideas to pique Kate's interests and rationals.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:39 PM   #22518
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne & Shara View Post
ok this coming from a certified engine tech stay away from the v10fuel mpg will suck and repairs on a v10 are not cheap. they do have a lot of power but they have two more cyl. then a v8 giving it more parts to replace like plugs wires ect. I know people that love them and more times then not people that hate them. stay with a v8 if your going class c you don't need the power of the v10 heck my v8 works great in my 33' class A pulling a truck with a Harley in the bed of the truck.
just think about it!
I was looking for a C on a Chevy chasis with the V8. Man, they are hard to find! But now we are gonna seriously look at As.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:45 PM   #22519

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
I was looking for a C on a Chevy chasis with the V8. Man, they are hard to find! But now we are gonna seriously look at As.
The good thing is.... Kate doesn't retire until the first part of 2016 right??? That gives you time. But I would suggest getting it sooner than later to work out your issues before departure.

Maybe we all get together at your place in NM and help ya work this out... lol... you being the booze - we'll bring the bacon...
Old 09-19-2014, 11:56 PM   #22520
MPH

Quote:
Mel - this is such a fun topic for we mutants cause ya know - the first requirement is - we don't miss what we don't have. Lol. They're are a couple ways to achieve this rainbow nirvana ... one is to be sure - very sure - you have what you need. ✌ That's need - not want or would like to have. When our needs our met - and we're on the rainbow - everything else including green eyed jealousy just fall away and exists no more...

The hard truth is though - a mistake in purchase can cost you dearly - whether that is because you have to keep something that doesn't meet your needs because you can't sell it effectively - or it eats ya alive in fixits...

Get the sale contingent on an independent inspection and hopefully we can help ya find an inspector.

I hope you don't feel like we tied you to a couple horses headed in opposite directions... but we really are trying to be supportive and helpful. LOL.
I very much appreciate the conversation! It's so helpful to read the various perspectives and then try those suggestions on to see if they "fit" with our goals, budget, needs, etc.

Getting an independent inspection is a MUST for us. I am handy, but not with engines and such!

I am leaning toward diesel for the moment. Gasser might be less expensive in the short-term, but what about the over the long-term?
Old 09-20-2014, 12:07 AM   #22521
MPH

Quote:
The good thing is.... Kate doesn't retire until the first part of 2016 right??? That gives you time. But I would suggest getting it sooner than later to work out your issues before departure.

Maybe we all get together at your place in NM and help ya work this out... lol... you being the booze - we'll bring the bacon...
Now you're talkin. Make it Wright brand, mesquite-smoked. Omg. I'm making my mouth water.

We are at our NM home this weekend. Cool and rainy here in Ruidoso. Love it!

Just be here WITH BACON by 7:30am. Kate has Bailey's for our coffee. Will that do ya? Oh, and the pantry has a large variety of adult beverages for your discriminating tastes. :-D I feel a party coming on .....
Old 09-20-2014, 12:11 AM   #22522

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Now you're talkin. Make it Wright brand, mesquite-smoked. Omg. I'm making my mouth water.

We are at our NM home this weekend. Cool and rainy here in Ruidoso. Love it!

Just be here WITH BACON by 7:30am. Kate has Bailey's for our coffee. Will that do ya? Oh, and the pantry has a large variety of adult beverages for your discriminating tastes. :-D I feel a party coming on .....
Lordy... why are we just now getting to this... we are meeting a floor man at 10 am in the morning.... another day another time... gotta hit the rack now. It's the end of another perfect week. The full timers rainbow is just around the corner...
Old 09-20-2014, 12:19 AM   #22523
MPH

Quote:
The good thing is.... Kate doesn't retire until the first part of 2016 right??.
She retires in Dec of 2015. So, yeah, we want to get our coach and learn it very well before we hall buns across the country! We want to take a lot of "practice runs," both short and longer trips.

I'm researching storage in our area. We will rent covered storage for sure.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:21 AM   #22524

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
She retires in Dec of 2015. So, yeah, we want to get our coach and learn it very well before we hall buns across the country! We want to take a lot of "practice runs," both short and longer trips.

I'm researching storage in our area. We will rent covered storage for sure.
I have covered storage but have sort of wondered about that expense... I won't have covered rv space in state parks etc... lol....
Old 09-20-2014, 06:24 AM   #22525

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGM View Post
Had my happy meal today so everythings kool and I don`t care ;^)
Warren it's been over heard that when Phil Robinson ( Duck Dynasty ) would order meals for his three sons, Willie, Jase and Jep when they were younger it went like this, Happy, Happy, Happy!

Now he's selling T-shirts with it on it!
(This is brought to you from the book "Things that Could Have Happened!".)
Old 09-20-2014, 07:20 AM   #22526
MPH

Quote:
I have covered storage but have sort of wondered about that expense... I won't have covered rv space in state parks etc... lol....
Silly, it's for just until Feb or Mar of 2016, when we hit the Rainbow trail full time. ;-)