Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #67747

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Di. I was thinking most of us have 20 to 30 years on Dwayne and Steve's mention of his future being longer than most of ours (assuming nothing drastic) rang a bell with me.

I've mentioned before that my mom passed away at 62 (my age now) and my dad at 69. So if I make it to 82 I will have beaten heredity fairly soundly. And how long can I do this... I have no idea but it's getting easier and I'm feeling better than ever. Tells me full time is good for me. Keeps my mind and body active. But 20 years... can I make 82? Who knows.

Dwayne looked good to me. Looked like he had a good 30 or 40 years left in him. He didn't make 1 old man noise while we were together.

That said... discs are a serious matter and need specialized care. Mine didn't show on X rays at all. MRI was the only way. And surgery the only option. I was 45 and it took some recovery time. And that's the rub. The older we get the more time gets spent in recovery, so we have to be extra careful. Especially those of us who burned the cradle at both ends when we were young.

I don't really see glasses as half full or empty. Some things are unknowable and probably why the cat sees the glass on the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170610_231154.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	165841  
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #67748

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
Wonderful pics, amazing places.

(Aren't wheels great?)
Thanks Sue. I don't take my camera out as often as I should. It's just so easy to snap and shoot with the phone. But I bought this camera for retirement and Carl (and Don on FB) have me thinking about it again. It's a great hobby. I remember when I was taking the N.Y. Institute of Photography course, early on they instructed students to take the camera everywhere you go. I guess I need to start doing that again.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #67749

Well we made it to the local Railroad museum and found one of a kind, the history was impressive and the heat was oppressive, it's a balmy 98° with humidity I haven't dealt with for a few months , but that's the nature of things

Cheers !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170620_140051.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	165844Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170620_140102.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	165845Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170620_140344.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	165846Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170620_140427.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	165847
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #67750

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Question, on the scenic route, there is no gas, so on the boring route, are there more gas options? I need to figure out how far Honey can go on a full tank...her gas gage has never worked...never really bothered us, but this trip it might be a tad more important for planning....
There will be towns to get gas in on both the scenic and boring route.

Boring: Ontario OR to Burns OR is about 130 miles.
Burns to Bend OR is about another 130 miles.
Bend to Idanha is about 75-6 miles.

Scenic: Ontario to John Day OR is about 132 miles
John Day to Redmond OR is about 138 miles
Redmond to Idanha is about 72-3 miles

You should have no problems finding gas either way.

Happiness isn't the destination but the journey along the way!
geocacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #67751

Monaco Owners Club
FYI: Those going to be in OR for the GC Mooning: I have spoken to a relative who lives in Oregon. They are warning everyone that the influx of people coming for the eclipse will cause all kind of traffic jams. They are telling people to plan on it taking twice as long to get anywhere. A geocaching friend of ours is renting out some of his farm land for people to park their MH's on. I've even seen it in the news for Idaho residents planning on going to Oregon to plan ahead as it will take lots longer to get there.

So everyone take extra caution while driving there and be safe. Those long stretches of lonely roads just might have lots of traffic. Hopefully most of us are getting there before everyone else is. I'm sure glad Barb had the foresight to have us plan ahead.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:35 PM   #67752

While browsing I stumbled across this RV Mutant thread.
The first two posts I happened upon are listed below in the quote boxes. They were wonderful, and hit a nerve. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam60 View Post
This Mutant has to work 9 more years and the MH is a Casita for family that visit.
Wish I was able to escape but not might be realistic.
I feel your pain brother.
I myself have learned that there is a thin line between putting off the ‘good life’ in order to do what’s right for family, boss, church, neighbors, bank account, etc… And inadvertently becoming a human floor-mat for those that find it convenient to be too broke to support their desired lifestyle, or conveniently too stupid to repair their own RV, car, furnace, well pump, whatever…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawto5 View Post
1.) Every one of our mutants had a different starting point for their adventures out on the roads of America.

2.) Working to be able to enjoy the adventure is a necessity for every single one of us. Nothing is wrong with awaiting your own starting point.

3.) The magic happens when you are finally able to take off and be accountable to no one except your favorite other mutant.

4.) Explore as you can.
We had loads and loads of weekends, holiday weekends, and two week vacations in our RV of choice at the time.
By the numbers...
1.) At 61 I have learned that its ‘health’ and NOT age that determines when you need to “get started” RVing and not just “keep earning/working”.

2.) Agreed. Gotta’ work a lot of years to pay the bills that a nice house and raising a healthy, educated family generates.

3.) Being blessed with an ever-growing close knit family is wonderful, but man... the weddings, and christenings, and proms, and graduations, and funerals, etc…
Well really now. I shouldn't complain, but to live in Jersey and be camping in Wisconsin, and have to fly to Texas on short notice because “Aunt Buffy” slipped in the shower and may not make it this time.
I hate to sound selfish but this crap never ends!

4.) Great point Papawto5, That’s Exactly what the DW and I do now.
On the few free weekends that we can steal we have become experts at RVing on our invisible 48 hour leash.

Someday I’ll slip out of that leash and actually go further than a 48 hour get-a-way can take us.
Yeah, someday. Maybe in 9 more years like sam60 said above.
Gee, I’ll only be 70 by then. Oh joy.
-Ej-
Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:04 PM   #67753

No guilt feelings here.

Jake - - I'm 70, retired, happily married for 50 years, and the youngest of 8 younguns in my family.

As my wife and I reached the stage of life where we were eager to hit the road more often and for a longer time each time, my close family members were virtually gone. Family responsibilities (obligations) were few and far between.

Now with my kids and grandkids . . . . . . well . . . . . . they've been diligently trained over the past 6 - 8 years to wait for our return and cherish the time we have together. e..g. This past week and next week are filled with like 10 baseball games that we need to attend (and in some cases provide needed transportation to these games).

Attending granddaughter's plays and babysitting are regular occurrences around our house.

HOWEVER . . . . . the kids and grandkids know that when it's time for papaw and grandma to go see the country and have fun, they know we won't be seen again for 4 - 6 weeks for our trips and for 3 months in the winter.

This has become "normal" for them. The secret is to spend time tempering their expectations of having you at their beckon call.

They now ask, "when's your next trip and where is it this time?" They are 7, 10, 11, 14, and 17 years old. We've taken all of them on 2 week vacations.
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:12 PM   #67754

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
The first two posts I happened upon are listed below in the quote boxes. They were wonderful, and hit a nerve. . .

I myself have learned that there is a thin line between putting off the ‘good life’ in order to do what’s right for family, boss, church, neighbors, bank account, etc… And inadvertently becoming a human floor-mat for those that find it convenient to be too broke to support their desired lifestyle, or conveniently too stupid to repair their own RV, car, furnace, well pump, whatever…

By the numbers...
1.) At 61 I have learned that its ‘health’ and NOT age that determines when you need to “get started” RVing and not just “keep earning/working”.

2.) Agreed. Gotta’ work a lot of years to pay the bills that a nice house and raising a healthy, educated family generates.

3.) Being blessed with an ever-growing close knit family is wonderful, but man... the weddings, and christenings, and proms, and graduations, and funerals, etc…
Well really now. I shouldn't complain, but to live in Jersey and be camping in Wisconsin, and have to fly to Texas on short notice because “Aunt Buffy” slipped in the shower and may not make it this time.

On the few free weekends that we can steal we have become experts at RVing on our invisible 48 hour leash.

Someday I’ll slip out of that leash and actually go further than a 48 hour get-a-way can take us.
-Ej-
Welcome Jake...

So... are you an RV Mutant Too?
Old 06-20-2017, 06:13 PM   #67755

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Hey Sue! What special day is it?
Take yer pick day ??? https://www.checkiday.com/
Marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:55 PM   #67756

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post

By the numbers...

-Ej-
Great post Electrojake. There are so many variables. Sometimes your Grand-kids parents decide to get off the leash before you and your plans change. If I never get out there, I'll enjoy living the life through the people here. If I do, look out, I'm going to enjoy it!
sam60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #67757

Monaco Owners Club
So, at 4 p.m my dad wanted some crackers with PB on them. It happened to be chunky pb. He popped out what I first thought was a nut. Instead of a nut, it was a big part of a tooth. Called his dentist and the dentist himself called me back. The dentist stopped by my dad's house with some epoxy and filled the exposed root. Hopefully that will hold. He was also on his way to a senior care center to see patients that are homebound. I didn't know that dentist did that anymore.

On another note, one of my grandsons had back surgery today to put in some rods. Surgery went well. Ohmnns for speeky recovery. Thanks.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #67758

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Question, on the scenic route, there is no gas, so on the boring route, are there more gas options? I need to figure out how far Honey can go on a full tank...her gas gage has never worked...never really bothered us, but this trip it might be a tad more important for planning....
There are gas stations on the scenic route, just at small town prices. But it is wise to fill up in Idaho. Oregon does not allow you to pump your own gas and you pay about 10 cents more per gallon to have it pumped for you. Keep an eye on your gas cap. The clerk in John Day, OR forgot to put mine back on.

I use Gas Buddy to find the best gas prices.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #67759

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geocacher View Post
So, at 4 p.m my dad wanted some crackers with PB on them. It happened to be chunky pb. He popped out what I first thought was a nut. Instead of a nut, it was a big part of a tooth. Called his dentist and the dentist himself called me back. The dentist stopped by my dad's house with some epoxy and filled the exposed root. Hopefully that will hold. He was also on his way to a senior care center to see patients that are homebound. I didn't know that dentist did that anymore.

On another note, one of my grandsons had back surgery today to put in some rods. Surgery went well. Ohmnns for speeky recovery. Thanks.
Omms for a speedy recovery.

And house call??? By a dentist. Awesome!
Old 06-20-2017, 07:31 PM   #67760

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geocacher View Post

One of my foster daughters had that surgery because her scoliosis was causing her spine to collapse shrinking her lung volume. It was a rough surgery with a long recovery period 20 years ago. I hope it's been improved since them.

Ohmms!

And when my stepmom, Wanda, was in assisted living her doctor didn't have an office. He specialized in eldercare and made visits to centers and homes. When I asked him why he said he felt that was the best way he could care for his patients and not having all of the overhead and staff simplified his life. It sure made it easier on me and Wanda.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote