Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2017, 05:13 PM   #68167

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Carl and those daring to travel through South Dakota in August... remember about the Sturgis Harley and other Biker's thing ends about Aug. 12 or so...Overnighting sites will be harder to find until then.

Got most of the places booked for our trip... we will be one day shorter in OR on the incoming side as Glacier National Park is a bit more than I want to bite off in a hurry, but should we get bored... we will come on in a day early if we can rearrainge the reservation in between There and Oregon... although it sounded like a day earlier would be ok too. Lots of summer time things going on!
My route takes me through Nebraska but thanks for the heads-up. Those traveling back from that event could impact some of the areas I'm heading through.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2017, 06:27 PM   #68168

Vintage RV Owners Club
OK... I do believe I have all the ducks in a row, with just a day or 2 maybe driving a little longer than the spousal unit thinks we ought to... but I plan to help with driving, and the longest are the closest to home. (flat, straight roads not arduous curvy mountain climbs.) Cael, we come through Nebraska on the way home... but are stopping in at Glacier National Park on the way out, so the route is through South Dakota.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:08 PM   #68169

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
OK... I do believe I have all the ducks in a row, with just a day or 2 maybe driving a little longer than the spousal unit thinks we ought to... but I plan to help with driving, and the longest are the closest to home. (flat, straight roads not arduous curvy mountain climbs.) Cael, we come through Nebraska on the way home... but are stopping in at Glacier National Park on the way out, so the route is through South Dakota.
That's funny because I've been thinking of taking a more northerly route back east when I leave just to break up the monotony. I don't have that option when I've gone to Tucson, it's I-10 or lots of time is required. On this trip, it's only like 100 miles difference to come back across via I-94. Sounds like my timing will be better on the return trip as well avoiding all that traffic.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:29 PM   #68170

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
That's funny because I've been thinking of taking a more northerly route back east when I leave just to break up the monotony. I don't have that option when I've gone to Tucson, it's I-10 or lots of time is required. On this trip, it's only like 100 miles difference to come back across via I-94. Sounds like my timing will be better on the return trip as well avoiding all that traffic.
Monotony... you'll be going the other direction going home. Looks entirely different... But I'd probably take different routes.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:38 AM   #68171

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Monotony... you'll be going the other direction going home. Looks entirely different... But I'd probably take different routes.
It does look different, until you start seeing the landmarks that were memorable and you say to yourself, oh, I remember that.

Besides, taking a different route will up the number of states I visit to 17!
Old 07-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #68172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Oh my, did you ask to be near me....er Earlene?
Doesn't everybody?
Old 07-02-2017, 09:57 AM   #68173

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
It does look different, until you start seeing the landmarks that were memorable and you say to yourself, oh, I remember that.

Now that's a good reason. I need to do one of those maps... !
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:45 AM   #68174

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

You count driving thru in the middle of the night on the interstate as a visit?

Are you going to join us for Halloween in Little Rock? That's a much shorter drive! Only half way across the country. You should be able to make that only stopping for fuel.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:12 AM   #68175

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
You count driving thru in the middle of the night on the interstate as a visit?

Are you going to join us for Halloween in Little Rock? That's a much shorter drive! Only half way across the country. You should be able to make that only stopping for fuel.
Semi-visit, not one that I'd consider a real visit like you full-timers have the luxury to do. Heck, I'd like to spend a couple months going ONE WAY on this trip But that's not the plan.

I was pondering LR, but a lot of excitement down that way. I wouldn't go for Halloween however as that's my sisters B-Day. And I have burned up my time off on RVM00ning so not likely in the cards. Would love to as that's right near the time I'm heading towards FL for winter hibernation.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:09 PM   #68176

Quote:
I was pondering LR, but a lot of excitement down that way. .

Carl.....
And any others who might have seen the news...

The problem churning down here is not a biggie in our opinion...
it was a problem between 2 groups, which was after 2:30 am and was at a rap happening

I am gonna quote a guy here that runs "the Van", a homeless advocate.... all he does is ride around helping homeless. The lady he mentions is his significant other, who is also my first cousin. If anyone knows this area, it is Aaron

Quote from Aaron Reddin:
I love Little Rock. All of it. The whole metro. North side of the river. South side of the river. All of it. I've been coast to coast and there is still nowhere I'd rather live and work.

I hear a lot of people outside the city always talking about how scared they are of Little Rock. Heck, I have family who won't come to town to attend our events because they can't bring their guns in. Out of all the news, good and bad, that gets pumped out of Central Arkansas, the shootings and killings stick out to people. I hate it, but it makes sense.

Here's what I'd like to tell y'all about the violence that happens here. It is VERY rarely random and for the most part intentional. What's my point? Very simply: don't get caught up, and you won't get caught up. Thousands upon thousands of us live here everyday without being personally effected by, or participating in, this crap.

There is not one single neighborhood in this entire metro that I'm afraid to go into at anytime of day or night. Not because I'm super brave. But because I'm not caught up in the BS and therefore not a target. And because the number of people around here looking to harm a stranger is absolutely minimal.

Tricia goes all over the city alone everyday of the week working with little kids in their homes, from the wealthy to the dirt poor. She then goes all over the city doing The Van work on her time. She's not afraid of the city because she's not caught up.

Don't get caught up in the game. Don't go to shows of artists that clearly promote violence (not to victim blame, but damn, did you see the poster? And they just arrested the dude for all kinds of crap). Don't be afraid of Little Rock or the metro. Come visit. Go out. Many of us work hard to improve the place. Don't be afraid of the very few who are hell bent on destroying their own lives. We don't have to give them control over ours.

Just my 2 cents and that may be about all it's worth.
End quote
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #68177

Trying something new to us: brined Cornish game hens on the rotisserie. Has anyone else done this or something similar?
Old 07-02-2017, 01:37 PM   #68178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
Carl.....
And any others who might have seen the news...
I am gonna quote a guy here that runs "the Van", a homeless advocate.... all he does is ride around helping homeless. The lady he mentions is his significant other, who is also my first cousin. If anyone knows this area, it is Aaron

Quote from Aaron Reddin:
I love Little Rock. ....
Here's what I'd like to tell y'all about the violence that happens here. It is VERY rarely random and for the most part intentional. What's my point? Very simply: don't get caught up, and you won't get caught up. ....
.... Don't be afraid of the very few who are hell bent on destroying their own lives. We don't have to give them control over ours.

Just my 2 cents and that may be about all it's worth.
End quote
Thanks for that, Di, & to Aaron for writing it. In these days of what often seems random, senseless violence, it helps to have a calm, reasoned perspective on a situation.

Random still happens, but I don't plan to hibernate to avoid it, any more than anyone else does. I'll just pay attention.

Can ya just picture little ole me at a concert like the one where that happened? Yeah, right!
Old 07-02-2017, 07:06 PM   #68179

Papaw Steve, I haven't received Mary Ann's text yet. Should I worry? 🤔
Old 07-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #68180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
Thanks for that, Di, & to Aaron for writing it. In these days of what often seems random, senseless violence, it helps to have a calm, reasoned perspective on a situation.

Random still happens, but I don't plan to hibernate to avoid it, any more than anyone else does. I'll just pay attention.

Can ya just picture little ole me at a concert like the one where that happened? Yeah, right!
In Indianapolis, 90 + percent of the victims knew the person that committed the murder. Seems that an extremely high percentage of the murders are the result of gang activity, drug dealing, unstable personal relationships, and other types of mindless and senseless personal behavior. Getting oneself caught up in this activity is the result of poor decisions not coincidence.

The greatest gift parents (black and white) in the inner cities can give their young children is to move to rural America. Ignorance breeds ignorance. Violence breeds violence. Poverty breeds poverty. Low expectations breeds low expectations. Etc, etc, etc

Sooooooooo many support groups in America's inner cities have exhausted their resources, energy, efforts to discover solutions, and faith in humanity. There needs to be some very frank discussions among the citizenry. Answers will not come easy, but it's time to address the "elephant in the room". Being "poor" is not the cause. The "whoa is me" excuse doesn't fly. There's far too many law abiding , God fearing people in the cities of America for that excuse to be perpetuated.

I now step down from my soapbox.
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote