Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2017, 10:48 AM   #69315

YES, it's official, RVM28 (Tom & Jan) are on site!

We spoke to Annie and Steve
, got checked in and hid from the rain. (We must have brought that with us; there has been none here for months.

Morning Steve, we'll talk later.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #69316

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
The tire pressure itself was fine, it was the extender thingy (that's the part#) that was loose. I've read a lot about TPMS systems and short of a slow leak problem, my opinion is they're more trouble than they're worth. They don't "detect" blow-outs (sort of impossible) and they require more maintenance with batteries, rust, getting in the way of tire maintenance, etc. (I'm summarizing all my feelings so sorry).

I realize loads of people use them and they all mention stories about slow leaks but I feel the attention I pay to my tires at stops every two hours (or so), morning pressure checks, etc. is enough to keep me out of trouble.

Maybe if the dang chassis manufacturers would have a built-in system like the cars have, it'd be less troublesome maintenance-wise, but these add-on systems just seem to provide a false sense of security with more maintenance.
That's just the point - if you pick up a screw like we did and, without TPMS warning, drive until the tire blows ....... I have total faith in the TST system and very rarely do a physical pressure test. Also, your toad could get a flat on the road and the first thing you would see is smoke behind you.
As for the chassis makers, well, I did question the Camp Freightliner guy why TPMS was not fitted. He replied that it is an available option but none of the MH makers will take it up. It ought to be a federal mandate as it is on cars.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:22 AM   #69317

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
That's just the point - if you pick up a screw like we did and, without TPMS warning, drive until the tire blows ....... I have total faith in the TST system and very rarely do a physical pressure test. Also, your toad could get a flat on the road and the first thing you would see is smoke behind you.
As for the chassis makers, well, I did question the Camp Freightliner guy why TPMS was not fitted. He replied that it is an available option but none of the MH makers will take it up. It ought to be a federal mandate as it is on cars.
Now the toad is in fact a different story. If a tire started going bad, I'd have no idea 45-50 feet away as I don't even notice I'm towing most of the time, other than complaining about that tailgater! Maybe when I address that, I'll wind up with one that does all the tires.

I didn't now it was an option and the MH vendors aren't using it. Geez, seems silly not to just have it and I would agree, it should be mandated.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #69318

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Carl... the other feature of TPMS is temperature reading... tire getting hot from mechanical issue on hub, brake or just something wacky with the tire. Like Martin, I trust the pressure from TST on all tires, coach and toad and don't do manual pressure checks. Batteries last a very long time and are easy to change.

And a sensor would have to told you there was no pressure to it. You would be swearing at the sensor and battery etc and then found the loose connection at the extender...
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #69319

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLGPE View Post
YES, it's official, RVM28 (Tom & Jan) are on site!

We spoke to Annie and Steve
, got checked in and hid from the rain. (We must have brought that with us; there has been none here for months.

Morning Steve, we'll talk later.

Tom
Morning Tom. Hi Jan... lol. Yep... Rain was a good one. Then another. And we'll I went to sleep. Lookks like the rain did some good, but were not out the woods yet. And the folks across from you have a campfire going lol. It's really pretty nice out but I haven't moved too far. In fact slept in... been up almost an hour [emoji2] coffee tasting good.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #69320
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Read all about it somewhere in Astoria. We saw several ships moored just the other side of the Astoria–Megler Bridge. The entry / exit is so treacherous there are special pilots. The same people who designed the channel built the roads.
There are about 16 pilots certified to take ships through that channel. Regarding design I think a much Higher power designed that inlet but hey, never know, road design people could have got lessons from Him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
The tire pressure itself was fine, it was the extender thingy (that's the part#) that was loose. I've read a lot about TPMS systems and short of a slow leak problem, my opinion is they're more trouble than they're worth. They don't "detect" blow-outs (sort of impossible) and they require more maintenance with batteries, rust, getting in the way of tire maintenance, etc. (I'm summarizing all my feelings so sorry).

I realize loads of people use them and they all mention stories about slow leaks but I feel the attention I pay to my tires at stops every two hours (or so), morning pressure checks, etc. is enough to keep me out of trouble.

Maybe if the dang chassis manufacturers would have a built-in system like the cars have, it'd be less troublesome maintenance-wise, but these add-on systems just seem to provide a false sense of security with more maintenance.
Had a TPMS been installed you would have know the "extender thingy" wasn't letting air through. As Steve mentioned the "other thing" is the monitoring of temperature. Tires normally get hot when driving, but when the air pressure goes low the added friction will cause them to get much hotter. A TPMS will warn you for whatever temperature you set.

Also, with the TST Flow Through there is no need to take the sensors off to inflate or deflate the tires. Maintenance is minimal.

And if you don't want them on the MH you can just purchase them for the TOAD. The TST system has the ability to register on the monitor what tires you want registered.

As Martin mentioned, you could pull out of the RV spot or truck stop and pick up a sharp object. A slow leak would register on the low pressure side and allow enough time to pull over and not ruin a tire especially if it is a dual tire. Riding on one dual of a set will overload the tire and cause future problems.

A false sense of security is being without one as you don't know what is going on with your tire system.

Go ahead, ask me how I know.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #69321

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam60 View Post
I hope it is OK to live life though your Mutants experiences.

I sure hope so!!! Because we have had to do that for over a year...

About to get back on the rainbow for some short trips before making larger leaps...

You mutants keep on posting to help sam60 & I... Maybe Di & Larry also...

Richard & "Queen" Ann, RVM # 110.. .. 2019 Coach House 26' .... Our Chihuahua T.T. lets us serve her in Arkansas.. lol
romin roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:18 PM   #69322

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And then there were 4... in order of arrival...

Steve and Annie RVM2
Tom and Jan RVM28
Ed and Jackie RVM51
Deb and Dale RVM107...

Who will be the next mutant to arrive in Idanah???
These two came unexpected today...
And then... Deb and Dale surprised us!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170811_131150.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	172559  
Old 08-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #69323

And as you all gather ... Please know our hearts are with you, wishing we could be there ...

Cheers !!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:57 PM   #69324

Here's a useful tip - don't drive under a Walnut tree at this time of the year. We have quite a few at our place (the farm is named Walnut Hills) one of which hangs over access to the garage. Leaving for town yesterday, I backed out to under that tree and on moving forward, Bang! down comes a walnut putting a ding in the middle of the hood on our nice shiny new Genesis. So, it's off to see the PDR man (paintless dent repair) on Monday to see what he can do. He did work some magic on the Jeep after the hail we all remember.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:15 PM   #69325

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJeep View Post
And as you all gather ... Please know our hearts are with you, wishing we could be there ...

Cheers !!!

Yes! Well said.

Richard & "Queen" Ann, RVM # 110.. .. 2019 Coach House 26' .... Our Chihuahua T.T. lets us serve her in Arkansas.. lol
romin roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:24 PM   #69326

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
And then there were 4... in order of arrival...

Steve and Annie RVM2
Tom and Jan RVM28
Ed and Jackie RVM51
Deb and Dale RVM107...

Who will be the next mutant to arrive in Idanah???
These two came unexpected today...
And then... Deb and Dale surprised us!
I'm leaving in the next 30 minutes...be there soon!!!
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:49 PM   #69327

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam60 View Post
I hope it is OK to live life though your Mutants experiences.
Yes, it is ok to live vicariously thru other Mutants, but it is OUTSTANDING to experience a GC! If you can't get to a scheduled GC then arrange for one near you. It's like the movie Field of Dreams. If you arrange it Mutants will come.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #69328

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is tire week for me also, but only the front 2. Last time I was with Dwayne and Shara, Dwayne pointed out some wear issues on my front tires and suggested I have the front end alignment checked. Did that this morning. The alignment was good, but both of the front tires were "out of round". Thankfully my RV runs 16" tires that don't cost a fortune.

And now the frig isn't cooling. what next?

Dennis, Denise and I will be in Idanha tomorrow.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote