Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #77631

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
So if the bottom flange below the glass in rear window was straighten out would the window shut completely then?
You will want a flange to hang over the tailgate to prevent water from seeping between top of tailgate and bottom of window. Not share from pics what aluminum you need cut?

Addendum: It shuts just fine, at the bottom of the window. The sides have the gap.
Beverlybrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2018, 04:23 PM   #77632

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverlybrand View Post
The bottom corners of the topper rear window are bent, and I have not corrected them. Correction would not remedy the closing even a millimeter. It is the tailgate itself that is stopping the complete closure. Attached are pics, of the locking mechanism’s shortcoming and of where the tailgate meets the window.Attachment 215786Attachment 215787
So your saying if the flange was completely removed the top window would not close over the tailgate?
Old 08-20-2018, 04:28 PM   #77633

Quote:
So your saying if the flange was completely removed the top window would not close over the tailgate?

Is the "flange", the aluminum part? If so, if it were removed, it would not extend over the tailgate, and water would get in from the top of the tailgate. Maybe I am having difficulty with words. If the bottom was straightened out, it still would not close all the way. It is meeting the tailgate now, even with the bends in the corners. It fits snugly, against the tailgate.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:36 PM   #77634

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverlybrand View Post
Is the "flange", the aluminum part? If so, if it were removed, it would not extend over the tailgate, and water would get in from the top of the tailgate. Maybe I am having difficulty with words. If the bottom was straightened out, it still would not close all the way. It is meeting the tailgate now, even with the bends in the corners. It fits snugly, against the tailgate.
Certainly difficult to diagnose the problem and proper correction but it looks like if cap was lifted, spacer between cap and the side of truck bed, it would allow door to close completely going over the tailgate with flange going below the tailgate top.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:51 PM   #77635

Quote:
Certainly difficult to diagnose the problem and proper correction but it looks like if cap was lifted, spacer between cap and the side of truck bed, it would allow door to close completely going over the tailgate with flange going below the tailgate top.

I agree, I considered putting in a couple of shims, but I am further uncertain as to how to seal it then. My current thinking is this: It rained tremendously hard, for 4 hours, and I was on the road for 2.5 hrs of that. Only a couple of tablespoons of water entered the cap itself during that time. This cap has to last me 6 months. I am not over-worried about the lock. The truck bed will contain sleeping materials and a few camping supplies. all worthy stuff will be in the cab itself. So, thus far, i am pretty happy with the seal, that I accomplished solo, sans the actual cap application. Its a pretty heavy fiberglass top. Perhaps in the presence of more experienced folks, it might be an easy fix all around. I dunno. I did the best with my know-how, and a lot of research. Anything else I do at this point would have to be done on my own. I have a lot of "handymen" in my vicinity that have offered their services, but seeing their other work, I decided it prudent not to take them up on their offers. There is one in the neighborhood that I feel could handle it, but he is too busy to help at this time. I am certainly welcome to any suggestions. I considered raising the cap considerably, but ascertained it is far beyond my abilities, and time-constraints. I also own no more tools than is necessary for simple home repairs or my truck. I have no power tools. I could "borrow" some, but it seems the owners want to operate the tools themselves, and I am quite certain that i would not be happy with the results. I am open to any and all suggestions!
Old 08-20-2018, 05:08 PM   #77636

R U an RV Mutant too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eez Moose View Post
I thought all you Minnisnowdans routinely went to Lake Wobegone? Either way it does sound like a fine day.

Bev and I went to Northern Minnesota one weekend long ago, and found a lake deep in the wilds of Kabetogama State Forest, long before there was a “Boundary Waters Canoe Area”.
This lake had the qualities we like best, but those qualities are part of the secret.
So, without pictures, notes, etc, we silently nodded to each other, and started toward the car very satisfied. On the way down the path, in one of those freaky moments, we both whispered “Wobegon”! We never said it again.
After a year or two, we returned to Lake Wobegon. ..............
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:27 PM   #77637

Quote:
Ok Randm I was kidding. I know you haven't been reading on here long enough to realize I somethings jest.

I've decided to use bailing wire on my next project. Attaching 55 gallon drums around my MH to help with floatations! There is either No Rain or Too Much!

Better yet, try barbed wire... holds better
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:28 PM   #77638

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
It just appears as thought the window won't close all the way because the bottom is hanging up.

There's a piece of trim on the top of your lift gate, is that removable? Would that help the fitting process?

Would like to see a straight on pic of the whole thing to see the top to bottom of the window.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:36 PM   #77639

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bev finding a thicker rubber seal to place between cap and bed should seal itself. I'd try a truck accesaccess store where they sale caps , toolboxes and more. I actually have seen some guys use the thick rugs with rubber backing as seals. Of course they did that cause they had access to the rugs free and used what they had. I've even seen guys place 1 X 8s on truck bed so campers would fit. Not sure how water tight they were but I've seen it. Amazing the engenuity you see in the deer woods down here. I'll look around my place but don't think I have anything that would work. Looking forward to seeing you in MI!
Old 08-20-2018, 05:41 PM   #77640

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
Better yet, try barbed wire... holds better
Ha lady, sales over I need to borrow some travel money!

Hopeing y'all did well and getting ends wrapped up. Will you be in that camper Down By the River tomorrow?

May be making a LR trip before we roll out.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #77641

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by romin roman View Post
As always, Barb said it better than I. Hope all gets fixed better than new!
Richard I'm sure you've seen the news of the shootings in Nashville. You might steer clear of those Honky Tonk Bars you frequent.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:47 PM   #77642

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
It just appears as thought the window won't close all the way because the bottom is hanging up.

There's a piece of trim on the top of your lift gate, is that removable? Would that help the fitting process?

Would like to see a straight on pic of the whole thing to see the top to bottom of the window.
Quote:
Bev finding a thicker rubber seal to place between cap and bed should seal itself. I'd try a truck accesaccess store where they sale caps , toolboxes and more. I actually have seen some guys use the thick rugs with rubber backing as seals. Of course they did that cause they had access to the rugs free and used what they had. I've even seen guys place 1 X 8s on truck bed so campers would fit. Not sure how water tight they were but I've seen it. Amazing the engenuity you see in the deer woods down here. I'll look around my place but don't think I have anything that would work. Looking forward to seeing you in MI!

i am soooo looking forward to being on the road! Ya see a lot of stuff up here too, in the boonies. I am more than an hours drive from a truck store right now. I do not have the time or help to move the cap again now. I will look for a thicker seal, and maybe some UPers can help me reapply. I will post pics tomorrow or next day. I have to go out of town tomorrow, and its too dark out right now to take decent pics. All the help on this channel is amazing! I am not sure, what is meant by the "trim on the top of the lift gate," but I doubt it would help, if it were removed.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:21 PM   #77643

American Coach Owners Club
R U a Mutant

Need some mega ooohhmms for Jackie.
Her dad was moved to Hospice today and passed away. Its been less then a month since her mom passed away.
Thanks in advance..
More mutant hugs needed soon....
rezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:44 PM   #77644

R U an RV Mutant too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezman View Post
Need some mega ooohhmms for Jackie.

Her dad was moved to Hospice today and passed away. Its been less then a month since her mom passed away.

Thanks in advance..

More mutant hugs needed soon....

Nola and I offer our deepest regards to Jackie and you.
The Ohms and [emoji120][emoji120] are on the way to both of you.
Many hugs [emoji847][emoji847][emoji847][emoji847][emoji847][emoji847]
So very sorry for your loss
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote