Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2019, 09:52 PM   #81859

Hey I resemble that remark !!!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 09:53 PM   #81860

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dumb luck time

Thought we had lost one of the AC units. Carol turned it on and nothing but humming/buzzing. Screwed up my courage and got up on the roof to check it out. Took a screwdriver up with me to remove the cover. Two phillips screws and two bolt heads on cover. Back down to get the wrench. Back up and off with the cover. Turn it on for a test, fan turns very slowly. Turn it off and look around the unit. Intake side of condenser is completely covered with at least 1/8" of what looks like dryer lint. Honey, toss me up the whisk broom please. Three tries later...sweep off all the linty stuff. Turn fan by hand - feels stiff, maybe grease on the motor bushing would help. Back down again for the can of grease. Neighbor comes by to see what we're doing, one of their AC units is out too. About half an hour later (discover we have a talkative neighbor)...back up on the roof and pack a little grease around the bushing. OK try it again. Fan starts...and blows all the remaining linty stuff out of the condenser right into my face. BUT...the AC starts working again. YAY! Put the cover back on, get tools and grease and back down the ladder I go.

Still not as interesting as Barb's stories though...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:29 PM   #81861

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dave, are the Cottonwood trees shedding where you are or where you just left? I'd bet that's what's mucking up your A/C. You might want to do the same clean and grease job on thre other unit before it quits.

Sunday we were parked at a dog park most of the afternoon. In addition to letting Lily play we enjoyed the shade that the huge trees provided. Walking back to the rig I noticed something odd sticking up from my A/C shroud.

So, like you, courage first, then climb. There was a 10”x15” section of the shroud top simply gone and a metal flap of the same size had been bent up above the unit.

We haven’t run the A/C in over a year since Sena ripped the thermostat off the wall. The flap had 2 holes on the front edge that looked like they once had screws holding the flap down. Where they went and why is beyond me. I didn’t want to dig thru my travel loaded bays so I climbed down to get the Gorilla Tape. Three 18” strips seemed about right.

I have no idea what any of the parts inside happen to be or what they do. I replaced the original OEM shroud after the Hail of a GC, May 2015 in Hot Springs, AR. I was hoping it would last a little longer. I probably should climb back up and reinspect, but I’m boondocking on solar here and won’t be using it anyway. Will rain damage the inner workings or will the open top allow rainwater to come inside?

You know the worse thing about traveling solo is that there's no one around to do Honey Do jobs like that.

Hey, I enjoy your stories!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:39 PM   #81862

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Did you hit something? Sounded like it.

I believe your roof vent should seal fine regardless of the vent cover, at least that's how mine work. YMMV
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:13 AM   #81863

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
How is Cloud 9 RV Park and the roads getting to it?

Don't fib just because Richard wants me to bypass the area.
Was out by Cloud nine just yesterday. Tryed to get them to cancel your space but they thought you might be an interesting person and wouldn't budge. Truly did drive by the park yesterday and since its on a hill it's water free. You will see very little damage from the flooding as you traverse the state. Most damage is where the levees either broke or to structures built within the levees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol View Post
Thought we had lost one of the AC units. Carol turned it on and nothing but humming/buzzing. Screwed up my courage and got up on the roof to check it out. Took a screwdriver up with me to remove the cover. Two phillips screws and two bolt heads on cover. Back down to get the wrench. Back up and off with the cover. Turn it on for a test, fan turns very slowly. Turn it off and look around the unit. Intake side of condenser is completely covered with at least 1/8" of what looks like dryer lint. Honey, toss me up the whisk broom please. Three tries later...sweep off all the linty stuff. Turn fan by hand - feels stiff, maybe grease on the motor bushing would help. Back down again for the can of grease. Neighbor comes by to see what we're doing, one of their AC units is out too. About half an hour later (discover we have a talkative neighbor)...back up on the roof and pack a little grease around the bushing. OK try it again. Fan starts...and blows all the remaining linty stuff out of the condenser right into my face. BUT...the AC starts working again. YAY! Put the cover back on, get tools and grease and back down the ladder I go.

Still not as interesting as Barb's stories though...

Dave it was like a Hallmark movie, it had a happy ending! To be more like Barbs stories you would have to add that Carol was such a stinker and broke the _________ then misplaced the ________ but was friendly with the _________ who liked the way she played the stomach ach scene
Old 06-13-2019, 07:49 AM   #81864

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Carol gets tummy aches too?
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:53 AM   #81865
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tim,

Thanks for the update on Cloud 9. I did tell them if a big ugly guy named Tim came by to ignore anything he had to say. Guess it worked.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:04 AM   #81866

Actually my RV has better amenities than some apartments I've rented. We really don't lack much. We thing of it as an apartment on wheels. And it's cheaper!
Old 06-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #81867

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Howdy Goose! Do you know you stumbled into a group of misfit RVers called the RV Mutants? For the past 6+ years we have been harassing each other on this thread and trying to stay out of trouble with the moderators. Notice the post count of 81,866. We yak a lot. We're like a big goofy family, but with a lot less family drama.

If you'll go back to read the first post in this thread you'll see how we got started. If you feel that you are an RV Mutant and would like to officially join us and be assigned a number. You'll also be privy to the info contained in the RVM Ancient Scrolls and be taught our revered high sign.

Some of us get together for a week or more of fun and playing together. We were last in the Texas Hill Country this past April.

In order to be appointed an RV Mutant you must first pass a test. 1) name something your RV doesn’t have that you do NOT miss (such as a hot tub, wings or a solid gold toilet)
2) Declare that "The Journey is the Destination" (our group motto)

That's it! Pass the test and you will be appointed your very own RVM number and be welcomed en mass.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #81868

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey Muties! anyone here considering going to the FMCA rally in Tucson next Fall. It's at a familiar venue - the Pima County fairgrounds October 17-20, 2019.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-13-2019, 10:47 AM   #81869

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Hey Muties! anyone here considering going to the FMCA rally in Tucson next Fall. It's at a familiar venue - the Pima County fairgrounds October 17-20, 2019.
Do you think the Pima County Fairgrounds could survive a third all out Mutant attack. ???
Old 06-13-2019, 01:34 PM   #81870

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eez Moose View Post
Do you think the Pima County Fairgrounds could survive a third all out Mutant attack. ???
We would register with FMCA so they wouldn’t know it was us until we check in.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-13-2019, 02:26 PM   #81871

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
We would register with FMCA so they wouldn’t know it was us until we check in.
Great and we could easily withstand having the FMCA upset with us.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:14 PM   #81872

If you dont do facebook, Papa Steve is in surgery bout now.....
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote