Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2020, 10:06 PM   #87235

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
The only thing I ran for a short time was a 30 ton vibratory roller. Not much different from an articulating tractor with a lot of vibration.
The other stuff I was a spectator only, as time was money and they were runnin' hard. Perhaps I'll take a lesson off the clock someday.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2020, 10:16 PM   #87236

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The bigger they are the more fun to operate.
Sorry we didn't get a chance to come by earlier this year but Covid got in the way.
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:35 PM   #87237

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Yeah true.
We'll shoot for next year Dennis eh? I'm opening do or die a year late come Spring.
We'll have to chew the fat on the phone again soon sometime.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:50 PM   #87238

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would love that but will leave the calling to you. When its 4:00 pm there it is 2:00 pm here. Easier for you to call me when you have time.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:29 AM   #87239

Dennis, you have been warned!

Canadian officials warn drivers not to let moose lick their cars

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/22/ameri...rnd/index.html
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:42 AM   #87240

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Silly park rangers have to know Moose can't read.

Kinda like the deer crossing signs that woman in Wisconsin was rattling about.

Old 11-22-2020, 10:42 AM   #87241

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
Barb, if you want to play with big machines, you should pop over to UK to Diggerland.

https://www.diggerland.com/days-out-in-kent/
My daughter lives near there and took us to visit a couple of years ago. End loaders, excavators, dump trucks, et al, it was a real playground. I think there may be one in the US somewhere.

Also, you may be interested to know we are committing to a solar array. 28 450w panels (12.6 kw) on a single ground based structure with capability of tilt. We discovered by word of mouth a local farmer who is also an agent for an Indiana company building this system (Ag Technologies Inc)

With a 26% federal tax credit and a very generous Illinois cash refund based on the sale of solar carbon credits, we end up paying a very small percentage of the system price.

This in addition to the reduction in our utility bill.

Solar is the way to go.
Martin, I agree 100%! I’ve been solar only for about six years now. Connie’s roof has nine solar panels on it now and I’m planning to add four more. Mine are a mix of sizes and wattageS as they have been bought through the years. Three of those keep Homer powered up, the rest are for Connie. I recently bought some used 250 watt panels for only $37.75 each. Nobody knows how long solar panels will work. No undamaged panels have quit, ever!

Yuma county Arizona is listed as one of the sunniest places in the world. We have several massive solar farms here.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #87242

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you didn’t listen to the radio caller about the deer signs you have missed a hysterical conversation. How could anybody be that stupid?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:32 PM   #87243

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Seems every time you think you've witnessed the pinnacle of stupid, a surprise comes along.
We've watched "Ridiculousness" on TV, and I can't believe some of the things I see on there. Mind boggling is an understatement.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:55 PM   #87244

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eez Moose View Post
Martin are you and Sue below 40ºN because everything I have read in the past claims north of 40 pretty well is a no mans land when it comes to solar. I haven't followed the idea any longer ever since we sold our house.
Seriously? The sun is everywhere. I'm at 41 degrees and there was never a question about "oh, you're too far north". Maybe it's the angle required to optimize the exposure? Fortunately for me, the angle and direction my house is worked out perfectly.

I got my array installed in 2005 (6.5kw), cut my electric bill in half (I use a lot ). Well into the "it's all savings" at this point (payback was just under 8 years for the costs). When I purchased, the state here would pay for up to $25k of panels, so that's how many I got. All I had to pay was the installer costs. Got similar tax cuts for both federal and state.

After around 9 years, the inverter died so I needed to get a new one. That was a pain as the older one wasn't available anymore and the new one required different wiring. But it still works fine and keeping the panels clean also helps. Not something I do often but a couple years ago the roof needed replacing so all the panels had to be removed/re-mounted to put the new shingles on. They got a good cleaning that year

Picture from a few years back prior to new roof (and addition was still just sticks...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar Array.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	308947  
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:05 PM   #87245

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Back in the cold country

Well, record time (17 hours, 53 min's) to make it back from sunny Florida to the dreary north. When I first started, Waze told me I'd be home at 6:01am (it doesn't account for stops) and I got in at 6:25am (that's with refueling stops and a food break). Traffic in the days of the pandemic is great!

Boko is happy to be back though (the heated floor makes it fun to play in her paper bags). Plus she can fly around a lot easier than in the RV. One thing I did do while we were down there was setup a rope between her house in the RV and the overhead fan knob in the kitchen area. She loved that as it reminds her of the ropes I have setup in the bird room here in the house. She spends most of her day on the ropes as it's fun to hang upside down on, balance herself, etc. It's sometimes amazing how she can just fly over to the rope (it's just 1/2" rope) and land standing up on the thing! Quite the balance she has.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BokoOnRope.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	308949  
Old 11-22-2020, 01:12 PM   #87246

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
If you didn’t listen to the radio caller about the deer signs you have missed a hysterical conversation. How could anybody be that stupid?
Agreed, but I will say, on the panhandle of FL, if you ever noticed, there is the what I think the longest fence ever built by mankind on both sides of the highway to prevent deer from crossing. It's like the entire panhandle itself has a fence on both sides of I-10. Even in the swampy areas. I keep thinking to myself driving by, who the heck did the install for this cuz it's quite impressive to fence in the swampy, wet areas. Did they use rafts or something? And who dug the holes in the water?
Old 11-22-2020, 01:42 PM   #87247

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Carl, one of the important things back when I was investigating solar for our house was the daylight time lessened the further north you got. The vast northlands of Canada are sun free for a few months every year. The further north the more it costs you for batteries. I have had lots of solar on all three of our motorhomes. I believe in solar and am leery of the promotions you see on TV. The absence of large amount government funding up here is very noticeable.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:49 PM   #87248

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I didn't go with batteries. For one, to keep them charged it's something like 20% of your output from the array and secondly, the maintenance and a place to put the batteries was a real turn-off to me.

Now they have these wall-mounted storage cells, which are intriguing to me, but I think they're a bit pricey and then one would have to consider the payback time and lifespan of these cells. Maybe if the price comes down I'd be interested then.

I agree that less sunlit hours would be a problem, at least for those months that it's like that. But wouldn't someplace like Alaska at least benefit from those months that it's daylight all day long???

Here where I live, it's a pretty normal sun cycle. Guess I'd have to go north of the US border to actually see anything different.