Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2020, 02:02 PM   #87249

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Carl, I found a site on Insolation that either no longer exists or has changed its name so I can't post it for you but a precis of the information suggests that the lower the sun is on the horizon the less power the sunlight contains when it traverses all those extra miles of atmosphere. Wish I could find it again and if I do locate the information I will link it to you.
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2020, 02:21 PM   #87250

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Yea, that totally makes sense. I'm just saying, similar to radio waves from deep space, you just need more panels. If the price/performance ratio would improve enough to make even that viable economically, one could still use solar. But it's only as good as when the sun is available. Cloudy days my output gets cut to 1/4th what it should be (sometimes even less). This is why solar is just not viable for anything but a localized solution to small problems. I've been seeing some of the fields being built in Florida for solar, it's just nuts the size of these things. We can't dedicate enough land to make solar a solution for everything. Gen IV nuclear is where we should be, it's a joke all these other "green" solutions (solar, wind, etc.). They're unreliable if their main ingredient isn't available at the time the power is needed. Nothing can store the amount of electricity needed by the masses/factories/etc.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:23 PM   #87251

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eez Moose View Post
Carl, I found a site on Insolation that either no longer exists or has changed its name so I can't post it for you but a precis of the information suggests that the lower the sun is on the horizon the less power the sunlight contains when it traverses all those extra miles of atmosphere. Wish I could find it again and if I do locate the information I will link it to you.
Don't tell anyone, but I'm working on a solar system that works in the dark. Forward the payment in cash (USD)and i will ship it to you.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:31 PM   #87252

And another thing or two.

The UK has gone big on solar, also with very generous incentives - and their latitude is well into the 50s.

On batteries, our agent did not reckon much benefit would come from the investment. They should only be considered as peak loppers. Batteries are part of the private generating system, coupled to the grid. By law, if there is an outage of the grid, the whole system has to be decoupled within milliseconds to prevent line men being fried.
Batteries, therefore, cannot be considered as standby power.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:41 PM   #87253

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Those linemen sure respond quickly out your way, within milliseconds! I don't think they're as fast here in the east...
Old 11-22-2020, 04:03 PM   #87254

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Martin, north of you there are a few thousand huge panels just sitting there doing nothing. Huge solar arrays put in place by the local Liberal governments of the day trying to pretend how "woke" they were. The only t6hingt that was 'woke' was the bank accounts of the unscrupulous companies who sucked in those fool politicians.

If I was a politician those screwy deals would come with a performance clause. You don't get paid until the project proves its worth.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:20 PM   #87255

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Good idea.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:05 PM   #87256

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Good idea.
I'm full of good ideas.

Send me money and I will tell you some.
Whooo whooo
Old 11-22-2020, 09:22 PM   #87257

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Same here! I should have said the same thing before my ideas were claimed by someone else.[emoji16] But I keep on going, because I'm a thinker and hopelessly a dreamer. My mind, I fear may have been much more fertile in my younger years though. Life does that to you I guess.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:56 PM   #87258

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There’s another type of solar power generator here in Arizona. It uses a parabolic trough to heat thermal salts that are pumped through pipes. The benefit of this is that the heated salt can be stored and used to generate power at night.

For more info https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solana_Generating_Station
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:44 PM   #87259

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
That's just too much land to dedicate for so little power. You'd need a little more than the entire state of Connecticut just to power the households of the US. That's ignoring all the business establishments, business buildings, factories, etc. It's just not a practical solution for the amount of energy consumed by all. And it's only going to become more in demand as the electric vehicle (both cars and planes) grow increasingly hungrier for more power.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:05 PM   #87260

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Electric airplanes???? That’s gonna take some really long extension cords or new lighter weight batteries.

There is no one solution for power generation in this country. Sadly, it tends to be weighted in favor of whatever industry has the most powerful lobbyists and not the best solution.

When you consider the environmental impact of the complete package, including manufacturing and disposal of the batteries, I hear that the Prius takes a higher toll than a Hummer. Now there is an electric Hummer coming?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:53 PM   #87261

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
You would be amazed at the number of companies that have sprung up to build electric airplanes. It's a reality already with some smaller commercial aircraft already flying. And airplanes are plenty heavy, so replacing hundreds (if not thousands) of gallons of fuel with batteries is probably a wash.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:51 PM   #87262

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
You would be amazed at the number of companies that have sprung up to build electric airplanes. It's a reality already with some smaller commercial aircraft already flying. And airplanes are plenty heavy, so replacing hundreds (if not thousands) of gallons of fuel with batteries is probably a wash.
One from Vancouver Island .....
https://www.harbourair.com/harbour-a...tric-airplane/