RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2020, 06:10 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Rate a residential fridge

Good Day folks, I hope everyone is keeping safe and healthy ❗️
We are thinking itís almost time to update our refrigerator in our coach to a new residential one.
Thinking seriously about the Fisher Paykel. Looks like it might fit a little bit better than the Samsung RF18 (not quite as tall).
We are wondering also if any of you have tried one and if so .... could you give us a product review?
I have seen a few complaints on the Samsung so just thinking...could there be something out there with a better reputation? The Fisher Paykel does have a better warranty!
I would enjoy return comments on either brand
Thanks in advance for sharing
LSBEH

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2020, 06:41 AM   #2

Well sir, I just wanted to mention your coach probably has a modified sine wave inverter, and if you are going to be running the refrigerator on it while driving or while dry camping the MS inverter and refrigerators with any electronics/LED's may not play well together. It's really a crap shoot.

I replaced our Norcold with a Frigidaire 20.4cf and for the first 6 months we were completely 100% happy with it. It was great! Then it suddenly went nuts. In the last 6 weeks we have had SIX (6) factory warranty repair visits here working on it. In those 6 visits they have replaced the thermostat, recharged the system with refrigerant TWICE, replaced the defrost timer, told me my thermometers were wrong, told me the refrigerator had to be loaded with food before it would settle down and give consistent readings and still the temperatures go from 7 to 26 degrees in the freezer.

I'm done with Frigidaire. We have another technician visit scheduled for 2 weeks and hopefully I can convince him to declare the unit dead, dead, dead. Only then will Frigidaire replace it.

Another owner with a different brand has problems with the MS inverter burning out the evaporator fan in his refrigerator. It seems the fan has a circuit board built in it and it keeps going bad. His refrigerator manufacturer said it was "dirty electricity" and they would not honor the warranty.

Sorry for the rant. I'm still glad we got rid of the Norcold, but dealing with warranties can sure age a person.

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:10 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced my Norcold with a Samsung last Sept, but have not had time to use the coach at all so do not know the long therm reliability.

I did do a bunch of research prior to going with the Samsung. Yes, I've read reports of problems but I know of a number of other Monaco owners who have installed the Samsung and all are happy with the change. One advance is that the Samsung has proven to work on a MSW inverter without any problems.

It also didn't hurt that I was able to get a Samsung RF18 for $855 on clearance at Lowes and able to use it for ~1 year while I was building my new house to offset the expense and until I could find full size residential to replace.

When I was researching for my install I did recognize that the Samsung does need breathing room for ventilation. The Norcold was sealed up tight to allow for airflow across the back of the refrigerator. When I installed the Samsung I left the bottom open and as much clearance as possible on the sides and top to allow for airflow. I did seal up the back vent and the exhaust vent in the ceiling as I read that in cold temps the fridge doesn't work as well.

Time will tell how well the Samsung performs but it is one of the fridges that does have a track record of operating in a RV.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:19 AM   #4

Have had no problems with our OEM Whirlpool.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:23 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I went with the GE 18 CF unit which is the same dimensions as the Samsung (1/2" less actually) and I think it has a much better layout inside with integrated water filter.

It works great, is a low energy user and keeps the food about a million times more consistent than the Dometic side by side that it replaced.

I bought mine through Costco and they delivered, helped put it through our emergency exit window and took the Dometic unit out the same way, and hauled it off.

I also got a 4 year extended warranty for $99....and I trust Costco to stand behind their products as they have with us for over 35 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3087.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	285278   Click image for larger version

Name:	7C663947-1A18-4807-83E2-F043C214B415.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	285279  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0867A24D-98CA-400D-9A18-755B4AD1E67C.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	285280  
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:42 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the reply Pete. I do plan to put in a second inverter....just to service the fridge and other smaller electronics
Harvey
Old 05-14-2020, 01:19 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
We like the automatic ice maker in our various refrigerators including the Dometic.

The Fisher/Pakel seems to be a very sound choice, but the 17 ft model has no ice maker.....

Not the end of our world type problem, but one we are accustomed to not experiencing.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:40 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Harvey, before you go to all the extra work and expense why not consider having your current fridge refitted by J & L Refrigeration in Elkhart?

My old DP Norcold just couldn't keep up with the heat and I made the appointment but sold the DP and bought a new one with a Res Fridge that is bigger than the one in my house (LOL).

I liked what I read about their conversion and now they have a 12 volt system which sounds great.

Just a suggestion you may want to check out.

Have a great day - Richard
Old 05-14-2020, 06:07 PM   #9

I have one and it works very well. Below is the link to my install.

It ran just fine on our old '98 MSW inverter, but I did swap out the old inverter for a PSW unit because a new microwave I installed wouldn't heat on the old inverter.

The F&P refer was pretty much my only choice other than a small two door model because our refrigerator is located right next to a narrow doorway to the bathroom. Other choices like the RF18 stuck out too much into the doorway. I also have a Hurricane heat register under the refrigerator which limited how low I could drop the refer platform. As I recall, the Samsung would have just barely cleared the ceiling and light fixture even after dropping the platform. I didn't want to go to a two door because I wanted good access with the kitchen slide in and a two door wouldn't have enough room to fully open the door with the slide in.

Not having an ice maker wasn't a big deal because our Safari has a separate ice maker. They do have a 17cf model that has an in door icemaker.

So far the only negative feature is the crisper bins ride in a full width pull out drawer. To access either bin you MUST open both refrigerator doors for the pull out drawer to clear.

One additional bonus to the F&P being shorter is my wife would have a problem reaching the back of an upper shelf in other units - not the case with this model.

It cools quickly, is very quiet and takes minimal power, about 1-1.5 amps running - 10 amps on the batteries via the inverter.

We've boondocked for a few days and it used less than 20% of our 235ah battery capacity from about 9pm to 8am. This matched very closely my test using a kill o watt meter before we boondocked.

We really like the extra room and the fact it should be immune to hot summer days.

Here's one of my my posts of the install.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/out...-386374-5.html
astrnmrtom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:09 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
I went with the GE 18 CF unit which is the same dimensions as the Samsung (1/2" less actually) and I think it has a much better layout inside with integrated water filter.

It works great, is a low energy user and keeps the food about a million times more consistent than the Dometic side by side that it replaced.

I bought mine through Costco and they delivered, helped put it through our emergency exit window and took the Dometic unit out the same way, and hauled it off.

I also got a 4 year extended warranty for $99....and I trust Costco to stand behind their products as they have with us for over 35 years.
We have the same fridge and love it ! It works fine on the MSW Inverter.
https://enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:15 PM   #11

I went with the 17cft, French door Fisher Paykel and yes it does have the ice maker . I installed it myself in 2018 and it has operated flawlessly on MSW inverter. I purchased it from Lowes and it came with a 2 year warranty and I purchased additional 5 year for total of 7 years. It was almost exact fit from where the Nocold was. Wife loves it, good luck with whatever you choose, I think you will like a residential over the Nocold.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh2013 View Post
I went with the 17cft, French door Fisher Paykel and yes it does have the ice maker . I installed it myself in 2018 and it has operated flawlessly on MSW inverter. I purchased it from Lowes and it came with a 2 year warranty and I purchased additional 5 year for total of 7 years. It was almost exact fit from where the Nocold was. Wife loves it, good luck with whatever you choose, I think you will like a residential over the Nocold.
what was the price of your model Fisher Paykel?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
Old 05-14-2020, 09:04 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club

We like the automatic ice maker in our various refrigerators including the Dometic.

The Fisher/Pakel seems to be a very sound choice, but the 17 ft model has no ice maker.....

Not the end of our world type problem, but one we are accustomed to not experiencing.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280

I found a Fisher Paykel with an internal ice maker (no outlet on the exterior of the door), and with a chilled water dispenser on the exterior of the door. I don’t recall the model number, but I believe it’s a 17 cubic ft model.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:55 AM   #14

I also have now found the Water and Ice dispensing 17 cu ft Fisher/Paykel RF170ADUSX4 N which has a price of $2,500 at Best Buy.

The challenge will be to site the external water filter for the water and ice maker delivery systems in our non-slide rig.

1995 38' CC Magna #5280

Tags
fridge