Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2012, 03:21 AM   #141

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post

And... there is no need to use your headlights to signal a passing vehicle if you have an ICC light switch; that's what it's for; that's what the trucks use to signal.

I have one, which I believe most Newmar coaches have, and I use it to signal when on a two lane highway.

THE ICC switch only operates the rear marker lights and not the head lights. It's there to "flash" the rear markers to saythank you...
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #142

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
THE ICC switch only operates the rear marker lights and not the head lights. It's there to "flash" the rear markers to saythank you...
I will have to double check on that... I believe mine work on all the marker lights.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #143

Monaco Owners Club
The ICC lights will do all marker lights but, it would be hard for a truck driver that is overtaking you to see your marker lights flash if your headlights are on and shining in his mirror as he passes you. My motor home and in a past life my truck had a separate switch to flash marker lights or headlights. I would use the marker lights to "wave" at someone going in the opposite direction and the headlights to clear a truck that had just passed me.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
As I mentioned before, there is no need to flash or signal a truck when driving on a multiple lane highway. They have plenty of room and time to move past a vehicle that they are overtaking. The need is when they are passing on a two lane highway and may need to move back into the right lane to clear the on-coming traffic lane.

So if a vehicle "flashes" when on a multiple lane highway and doesn't get a return flash from the truck, it's probably because it wasn't necessary.

And... there is no need to use your headlights to signal a passing vehicle if you have an ICC light switch; that's what it's for; that's what the trucks use to signal.

I have one, which I believe most Newmar coaches have, and I use it to signal when on a two lane highway.
It may not be necessary, but it is polite. In principle isn't any different than holding the door for the next person when entering a building. I think you're also forgetting two lane freeways. With the left lane for passing... When I'm in my 18Wheeler and at my speed governed limit it takes awhile to pass and I'm anxious to get out of the way. When I'm flashed over, the person is feelings its ok even though I haven't given them a good amount of space yet. The icc interrupt.... Is totally unnoticeable unless I'm looking at your clearance lights. If someone were trying to signal with them? I won't be aware of it. They DO work well if trying to get attention from those behind you though.

In general, its polite to Roger the signal, but I've never had hurt feelings when not thanked for doing it. Its simple courtesy and professionalism.
dale5of7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #145

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale5of7 View Post
It may not be necessary, but it is polite. In principle isn't any different than holding the door for the next person when entering a building. I think you're also forgetting two lane freeways. With the left lane for passing... When I'm in my 18Wheeler and at my speed governed limit it takes awhile to pass and I'm anxious to get out of the way. When I'm flashed over, the person is feelings its ok even though I haven't given them a good amount of space yet. The icc interrupt.... Is totally unnoticeable unless I'm looking at your clearance lights. If someone were trying to signal with them? I won't be aware of it. They DO work well if trying to get attention from those behind you though.

In general, its polite to Roger the signal, but I've never had hurt feelings when not thanked for doing it. Its simple courtesy and professionalism.
ICC switch is worthless for someone looking in their mirrors at you. Okay from the back. Courtesy is a learned thing. Do what works for you. Some drivers out there will appreciate your attempt at helping them drive, others will just keep trucking. Nothing personal. Seeya on the road.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #146

We flash headlights to tell truckers they have room to reenter the lane ahead of us (if ever there comes a time a trucker wants to drive faster than we do).
We have learned through our lives that we don't have to worry too much about what people's response is to our well-intended gestures,
we just take pride in knowing we did the right thing.

Edit to add:
And sometimes you think you're doing the right thing by what you have learned, and then find out you actually took pride in doing the wrong thing. Argh!~ Never too old to learn....
I even learned that DH doesn't flash at night, he turns the lights off quickly then back on.
How much have I been paying attention then? hmmmm, too much knitting in the front seat maybe...
HappyCCRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RLR View Post
As the son of a long haul trucker, I still dip my lights to passing trucks. Nine times out of ten they dip their running lights when they've completed their pass. If they don't I'm not upset. Notice I said "dip" the lights, not flash the high beams. That would blind the driver with a bright light reflecting into his rear view mirrors.
and when we flash, it is a one-half second flash.
maybe it makes more sense to turn the lights off though, because that indicates as if you are not there.

ETA: it does make more sense, and it's the right thing to do as I have now learned....
and again, I was mistaken with the high beams at night...lights flash on in daytime driving for truckers, off at nighttime driving.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #148

So, I went searching and found this:

Night-Time Road Courtesy. Some of you may be aware of night-time road courtesy, but many of you probably have the wrong idea of the right thing to do. When a trucker passes you and his trailer has cleared your rig far enough to be safe, the proper way to signal to him that he can pull back over is to turn off your headlights (but not your parking lights) for just a second or two. The trucker can see your intention without being blinded by your high beams in his mirrors.

Yes, I know that you see the other way of signaling (high beams) now and then, but the serious truckers much prefer to see a moment of darkness rather than a moment of blinding light.

Another element of night-time courtesy is not leaving your lights on high beam, regardless of whether the other driver is headed toward you or is headed in the same direction as you are traveling. Many people tend to obey this courtesy only when the other vehicle is headed toward them and can flash his high beams to show his irritation at your thoughtlessness. But the same rule holds true for cars that are ahead of you and going the same direction. Your high beams shine back from his rear mirror directly into his eyes, and is extremely irritating. Your high beam headlights can travel much farther than you think and still be a nuisance to the driver in front of you. Generally, if you can see either headlights or taillights from a car out in front of you, turn off your high beams.

If someone is headed toward you and flashes his high beams—thinking that your lights are on high beam, don’t retaliate by flashing your high beams. Instead, just turn off |your headlights for a second or two and then turn them back on. The other driver gets the message, and isn’t blinded by your high beam retort

Know and Use Headlight Signals. First, know and use the daylight headlight signals that truckers use to help each other when passing. After a truck has passed you and is ready to pull back into your lane, wait until his trailer(s) have cleared the front of your rig with a safe amount of clearance. Then, when the trucker signals his intention to pull back into your lane, briefly turn on your headlights until the trucker starts to change lanes, and then turn your headlights back off.

Many truckers have just as much difficulty in knowing where the back end of their rig is, and they help each other to know when it is safe to pull back over. Oftentimes the trucker will say “thanks” by blinking his running lights at you a couple of times. However, more and more these days, I find that truckers pay no attention to most RVers and seldom say “thanks” by blinking their lights. Part of the problem may be that so many RVs these days have daytime running lights (headlights that stay on whenever the engine is running) that many truckers can easily get confused.

Give Truckers a Free Lane to Enter the Highway. Secondly, when you see a trucker about to enter the highway beside you or slightly in front of you, don’t force him to slow down until you get past him. Instead, if the next lane is open, change lanes to let the trucker have the entire slow lane to merge and accelerate into the traffic stream. After you have passed him (since you are usually going at a much faster speed), simply pull back over into the slow lane and continue your journey.

Common Sense Driving Tips
Old 10-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #149

While it takes all sorts of characters to make up the human race...let's think of this:

You make your living on the road. Your on the road 40 or more hrs a week...Just imagine ALL the ridiculous occurrences a trucker must see and worse yet endure in those 40 hrs. All of which could possibly cost him some or all his income for a period of time.

Now if you can't imagine that...Imagine yourself on your short way to and fro work and think of those ridiculous encounters you experience on your short drives...multiply that by 40 or more times...now think if you may become bitter or lacking manners if put in that trucker's shoes.

Granted there are bad apples everywhere...but then again..we need to stay realistic. Not everyone can come first!!! We all have to take our turn in the game of life.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #150

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post
The ICC lights will do all marker lights but, it would be hard for a truck driver that is overtaking you to see your marker lights flash if your headlights are on and shining in his mirror as he passes you....
Well that's good to know and I will keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale5of7 View Post
... When I'm in my 18 Wheeler and at my speed governed limit it takes awhile to pass and I'm anxious to get out of the way. When I'm flashed over, the person is feelings its ok even though I haven't given them a good amount of space yet. The icc interrupt.... Is totally unnoticeable unless I'm looking at your clearance lights. If someone were trying to signal with them? I won't be aware of it...
Thanks for the feed-back, this is helpful to know what a trucker likes and dislikes since we have heard that some truckers appear to be offended that some thinks they don't know how to drive their truck and what their clearances are; as one post (some where on this forum) indicated.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote