Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2018, 04:23 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
All good points but try it where we live when not in the motor home. For us red lights and stop signs are merely suggestions, one way means you can only drive in one direction at a time (does not matter which way), double yellow and single yellow and broken yellow lines are there for decoration right??? Basically a free for all and can be scary at times. Oh and driving on the correct side of the road... you mean there is a correct side to drive on? We look forward to driving in the US as MOST do obey most of the traffic laws.
Sometime my wife (when we are in the US) will say..."stop driving like a Dominican"
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2018, 04:58 AM   #16

all traffic laws change depending on how important you think you are. they are laws for the little people and suggestions for everyone else. besides how do you know a light is changing from yellow to red when you are looking at your cell phone. the police are to busy with everything else to enforce traffic laws.
patrick
pjciii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
I believe that in PA, the lines are for safety purposes only and a sign needs to be erected to mark actual no passing zones.

If you actually stop for a right turn on red, a stop sign or a yield sign, expect to be rear-ended. Just three days ago, I was nearly hit by a young lady that blew a stop sign going at least 20 MPH. That intersection is at an angle and folks treat the sign as a yield sign.
Well, I learned something. I never knew some states actually allow passing on the double yellow line! I guess I'm not too old to learn something after all.

This is a quote from Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_line_(road_marking)

Quote:
In some states, it is not against the law to overtake vehicles in the presence of solid yellow lines if it is safe to do so. For example, Vermont State Law also allows passing across the double yellow line when no traffic is on the opposing side, however, one must pass quickly and return to the proper side. Pennsylvania does permit passing on double yellow lines when not also posted with "Do Not Pass" signage. However, this is unusual as most states have a ban on crossing a double yellow line except when turning, when passing pedestrians or bicycles, or if an obstruction in the road makes it necessary. Overtaking another vehicle across a solid yellow line is usually considered a serious traffic violation in most states
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:13 AM   #18

Sorry, deleted duplicated post
Old 02-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #19

now days people due what they want besides how often do you see police ? let alone enforcing traffic laws mostly after the wrecks..
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:32 AM   #20

I see the police with someone pulled over all the time on the Interstate.

I was watching one of those Cop shows a while back and this guy was pulled over for improper passing. The guy was as filthy mouthed as you get. Then he told the police officer "what is the harm, I didn't kill anyone." The police officer added the word "yet".
Old 02-13-2018, 08:24 AM   #21

In addition with all the comments above, the pet peeve I have are the cars that didn't come from the assembly line with turn signals. Not fun slamming the RV brakes while being tailgated from behind...another peeve .
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #22

In my 30 years patrolling the streets of Tucson it always amazed me at what people don't know about the rules of the road. It's because they never had to know the traffic laws. "But officer, I wanted to change lanes so he has to move out of my way so I can".

We need to do with cars what is done with airplanes - refresher training. For the average non-commercial pilot they must meet with an instructor every two years to go over rule changes and then go fly for an hour or so to show competency. There is nothing like this for cars. My CDL is good for five years and my medical is good for two but even then there is no refresher anything.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seon View Post
In addition with all the comments above, the pet peeve I have are the cars that didn't come from the assembly line with turn signals. Not fun slamming the RV brakes while being tailgated from behind...another peeve .
Old 02-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
In my 30 years patrolling the streets of Tucson it always amazed me at what people don't know about the rules of the road. It's because they never had to know the traffic laws. "But officer, I wanted to change lanes so he has to move out of my way so I can".

We need to do with cars what is done with airplanes - refresher training. For the average non-commercial pilot they must meet with an instructor every two years to go over rule changes and then go fly for an hour or so to show competency. There is nothing like this for cars. My CDL is good for five years and my medical is good for two but even then there is no refresher anything.
Well said
My hats off to you and all of the other Police Officers. Thank You for keeping me safe out there!
Old 02-13-2018, 09:01 AM   #25

You know, there is no way we can predict how others will behave when driving. Yes, we should all know the rules of the road, and we do our best to follow them. But we just have to allow that others will see us in our RV and will say, I can beat that big ole thing and will then proceed to do this or that. We can't change others behavior, no matter how 'peeved' we may be. Drive defensively. LEt them pass. Its the journey, not the destination. Enjoy this beautiful country and our time in it.

"Did you see that? What an Idiot!"
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here in the Chicago area we have red light cameras. My wife got a $100 ticket for not coming to a complete stop when turning right on a red. She swore she stopped but then we looked at the video they supplied, and she did not. The wheels never stopped completely.
Most likely a police officer would not have written a ticket for such a small infraction, (the wheels were barely turning), but the camera is unforgiving.
This is a right turn on red light, now she sits until it turns green because she doesn't want to take a chance on another ticket. Oddly enough, everyone behind her at that light patiently waits also. She thinks they all got tickets at one point too.
I will not run even a yellow light if I can safely brake and stop. These cameras are a cash cow for the city and suburbs around here.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Here in the Chicago area we have red light cameras. My wife got a $100 ticket for not coming to a complete stop when turning right on a red. She swore she stopped but then we looked at the video they supplied, and she did not. The wheels never stopped completely.

Most likely a police officer would not have written a ticket for such a small infraction, (the wheels were barely turning), but the camera is unforgiving.

This is a right turn on red light, now she sits until it turns green because she doesn't want to take a chance on another ticket. Oddly enough, everyone behind her at that light patiently waits also. She thinks they all got tickets at one point too.

I will not run even a yellow light if I can safely brake and stop. These cameras are a cash cow for the city and suburbs around here.

You forgot to mention how they have shortened up the yellow lights to the legal minimum. In some suburbs if you stop more than a few inches past the white line, it will cost you $100. In Illinois it doesn’t matter who is driving the car. Your car - your ticket. They claim it’s all about safety. When they donate the money to charity, I’ll believe that one.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #28

Most states say you must be in the intersection when it turns red so some drivers speed up on yellow to be sure they are in the intersection when it turns red.
GScott423 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light