Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2015, 10:28 PM   #15

Omg i had not realised that ca would be so vicious in finding my movements when they hsve no clue about "other" residents legal or otherwise.
beverly643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2015, 10:36 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by beverly643 View Post
Omg i had not realised that ca would be so vicious in finding my movements when they hsve no clue about "other" residents legal or otherwise.
You've got money and they want as much of it as they can legally get.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:36 PM   #17

Quote:
I am pondering selling up in CA and buy or rent something small in Oregon to save on sales tax for a motorhome then spend my winters where i currently live. Hss anyone advice on this subject.
OMG i fell so embarrassed. Perhaps if i have finance i can spread the pain. It upsets me that CA spends more time chssing property tax payers and pay no attention to illegals.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Oregon has an income tax so you won't save anything there. You can legally buy a rv in CA, take out of state delivery, keep it out of CA for a period of time and not have to pay CA sales tax on it.

You might want to spend some time reading BOE PUB52 for further info. Very easy to do, I bought two coaches using the out of state delivery and didn't pay sales (use tax) on either one. www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub52.pdf
Thank you that is helpful. S DAKOTA looks appealing
Old 04-08-2015, 10:43 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Your neighbors will most likely go online and fill out a form, then the fun begins. If you are lucky the CHP will just write you a ticket, you pay and that is it. If your neighbor really does not like you, they will contact DMV Investigations. They will see if you earned any $$$ since the purchase, own any property, or are registered to vote on CA. If they can find anything, they show up with a tow truck, seize it for fees, taxes, and late penalties due, and they give you 30 days to pay in full. The later happened to a neighbor who registered his Maserati in Iowa, he thinks it was an ex-coworker who was given the ax, but he said it was a guess. He had to borrow the money to pay the state.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:47 PM   #20

I am from the UK and proud to be a good US citizen. No tax is paid on used items. I feel frustrated by this rip off. My friend in S Dakota says there are more registered than live there.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:58 PM   #21

beverly643,
There are ways to accomplish what you are trying to accomplish, and they are legal. I would suggest you search these forums for "out of state usage". I think CA still has the provision for allowing out of state usage of boats and RVs. You cannot simply buy your rig and store it outside the state. You have to take delivery outside CA and show usage for at least a year. (I would suggest two.) You need to get the forms from the CA Franchise Tax office. (They are in the pub52 booklet.) Do your research. And, be sure to keep all your paperwork.

This law was really enacted for yacht owners so they could move their yachts to Mexico and use them there for a year and bring them back free of sales tax. Like most CA laws, they added RVs so it did not look like it was only for yachts (or boats in general).

As others have noted, this is a serious subject and it takes serious research if you want to go this way. Plus, you need to be very detail oriented because it does take extensive documentation of usage to qualify.

Hope this helps clarify.
Bob
Old 04-08-2015, 11:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Thank you that is helpful. S DAKOTA looks appealing
You need to research this. With CA out of state delivery you still have CA registration. South Dakota has been clamping down on "out of state" registrations for some time. Be very careful with this option if you think you want to register your RV in that state. We went this way some years back and I would not recommend this alternative today.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:55 AM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Isn't a shame we have to even consider working the system to save ourselves from confiscatory tax rates in the first place?

Buy an RV in Washington state for instance and you will a "Use Tax" on used and sales tax on new at the rate of 8.7-9.9% depending on your city & county. So if you buy a used class a DP @ $300K you will pay $26-30K in use tax. Considering they already collected sales tax on this unit when it was new, likely nearly $40K, I find this to be outrageous.

Our new state of declared residency, OK, and in fact where we own property, they charge 3.25% on 1/2 the purchase price of new and the same rate on 65% of 1/2 the purchase price. So on a $300k coach the use tax is $6337.50. Still a lot, but saves $20K+ over WA. or about 5700 gal of fuel @ $3.50/gal or nearly 45K miles traveled. Or in our case will pay for our used stacker trailer.

Maybe I should set up a Shelf Corp address and you can all register there ad save $$
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:45 PM   #24

Quote:
OMG i fell so embarrassed. Perhaps if i have finance i can spread the pain. It upsets me that CA spends more time chssing property tax payers and pay no attention to illegals.
Would you consider leaving CA for a year? Get the RV, see the country, and winter this coming winter in AZ? Break ties with CA!!

MT used to be one of the most popular states for non-resident RV registration, but our tax codes changed 2 or 4 years ago and now it seems that SD is the state du jour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post
beverly643,
There are ways to accomplish what you are trying to accomplish, and they are legal. I would suggest you search these forums for "out of state usage". Do your research. And, be sure to keep all your paperwork.
Do your research, keep your paperwork, take copious notes, maybe even a trip log, and find a great CPA who specializes in such matters.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
Isn't a shame we have to even consider working the system to save ourselves from confiscatory tax rates in the first place?
No doubt!

Yet we keep the same overlords in place and wonder why nothing changes!
Old 04-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #25

The big problem with what you want to do is the fact that you want to go back to CA. If you were to buy or rent in OR and then winter in say, Texas or Arizona then your issues would be less. Any severing of ties with California must be complete and total or they will probably be intent on getting lots of tax from you.

I am currently dealing with two residency audit issues with NY. I can tell you that these are among the worst audits I have ever gone through. On one of the audits NY is going after someone who left the state and even the US for a period of five years and then moved back. Their logic? She never INTENDED to permanently leave the state so she now owes NYS income tax. The other audit is a business owner in Florida who still maintains a home here in NY. They have gone to the extent of requesting the cell phone records to ascertain what state he was in every time he made a cell phone call. Even though he was in NY less than 183 days, they still haven't given up.

Be prepared that making a move can cost you much more than just the sales tax if, to paraphrase the old expression, the fertilizer hits the ventilator.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:33 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
Your neighbors will most likely go online and fill out a form, then the fun begins. If you are lucky the CHP will just write you a ticket, you pay and that is it. If your neighbor really does not like you, they will contact DMV Investigations. They will see if you earned any $$$ since the purchase, own any property, or are registered to vote on CA. If they can find anything, they show up with a tow truck, seize it for fees, taxes, and late penalties due, and they give you 30 days to pay in full. The later happened to a neighbor who registered his Maserati in Iowa, he thinks it was an ex-coworker who was given the ax, but he said it was a guess. He had to borrow the money to pay the state.
This is so sad. I hear about LLC Montana for buying?
Old 04-10-2015, 10:35 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
The big problem with what you want to do is the fact that you want to go back to CA. If you were to buy or rent in OR and then winter in say, Texas or Arizona then your issues would be less. Any severing of ties with California must be complete and total or they will probably be intent on getting lots of tax from you.

Be prepared that making a move can cost you much more than just the sales tax if, to paraphrase the old expression, the fertilizer hits the ventilator.

Quote:
This is so sad. I hear about LLC Montana for buying?
Yes, they're common.

Honestly, you need to decide if you want to stay or leave.
Ultimately, if you want to stay, bite the bullet and enjoy all the things your tax dollars buy in California and avoid them coming after you.

If you don't like California amenities, break ties and buy your RV and set up residency in a different state with different tax codes.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:17 PM   #28

Montana or S Dakota LLC? Would that fix the issue.

Tags
cat