Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2019, 09:48 PM   #71

Wayne M......I really liked the video you shared. I remember almost all of those times and pictures. Thanks again...MOMCAT
momcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2019, 10:03 PM   #72

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I remember selling Grit newspapers around our neighborhood when I was probably about 12. I think those were weekly. Sold those to make money for the Saturday movies and popcorn!

I grew up in Williamsport where the Grit was published. They had a policy of no bad news nor slander.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:07 PM   #73

In my east Tennessee town I remember no t.v. T remember when the jets at the Air Base in Alcoa started breaking the sound barrier, making the "sonic boom." I absolutely loved my pos bicycle. Later in the 60s in my town American brand gas was 17.9 per gallon. I would buy in the am and pm, scared to death it would go up. But.. what I really miss..is people seemed to get along alot better. Iguess the TV is what makes everything so tense these days. THATS PROGRESS..But I really am glad for the past, but mostly still being here today, and hopefully tomorrow. MOMCAT
momcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:11 PM   #74

Having a Paper Route!
Getting the stack of newspapers, inserting the ads, folding them, putting the rubber band on, loading them in the bags hung on the handlebars of my Huffy. Finally throwing, er- placing them on the neighbors porches.
Oh yeah, then doing collections in the evening when folks got home...
jpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:46 AM   #75

1971 I purchased a 1966 Buick Wildcat. $5.00 at Sunoco gas station would fill her up. That was couple years before the "Oil Embargo"... when gas went all the way up to $0.75. Was in Denver at that time, traveling the country for a couple years back then in my 66 "Cat". 75 cents a gallon was hard to handle while "flying by the seat of my pants" - so to say! - LOL

Today it takes me $80 to fill up my 1967 Buick Wildcat ["The Ghost"... shown]. I found her in 1998. Linda and I keep driving memories many weekends. Still liven the dream!

Edit: Found that photo gets plenty larger and sometimes straightens up with fast double click. Don't know why photos from recent camera generally turn sideways no matter what I do???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1967 Wildcat - 9-30-2019.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	263531  
Old 10-14-2019, 06:19 AM   #76

I lived way the heck out in the country side up Northeast in my first house some 31 years ago. We had electricity, but I also had a fireplace in the living room and a wood burning stove in the basement. When the temperatures dropped into the teens and the heat pump was unable to keep up, I would start up the fireplace and the wood stove in the basement. I always kept a cord of wood outside the house. I really came to appreciate having those auxillary heat sources during those cold winters. Kerosene lanterns I've had down here in Florida, since hurricanes cause sustained power outages and I've already lived through 3 of them in the past 24 years since I moved down here to Florida.
vadertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:28 AM   #77

Newmar Owners Club
Wells were driven by hand with a sledge hammer and driving point. I did one.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:44 AM   #78

Our main house is heated exclusively by two wood-pellet stoves. One on each floor. Nearly whenever I post here I'm in my office with pellet stove on low in first floor. Our beach house is heated by super efficient split wood fired "Moon Stove" from the 1970's.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #79
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeinTexas View Post
In 1965 A@ 10 yo I got my first shotgun... 410... Dad and I would go hunting most Saturdays for varmit. Afterwards we'd stop at Mr. Halls store to get a coke and a bag of peanuts. Open the coke and pour the peanuts into it to drink.

I still do it to this day every Saturday! People look at my like I've lost my mind when I do it.
Yup, that started in the 50's. Back then everybody did it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:33 AM   #80

I haven't see a cellar mentioned, but I'm sure some others had them. It was a building of sorts dug back into the hillside where potatoes, apples, cabbage, and the like were stored for winter. It was always cool in there. On winter nights we would go down there and get apples to eat.

Above our cellar was was the smokehouse where bacon, hams, etc were smoked using hickory wood. The smoke was channeled from a smoldering hickory fire in a small stove to a long horizontal "smoketight" metal affair with a rod running through it at the top to hang the meat on. The smoke then exited through a stovepipe with a damper to control the flow.

My first actual car after the '47 Harley, and after joining the Navy like some others, was a '51 Chevy convertible. I've always liked convertibles and bikes and have had them most of my life up to now. Our current convertible is a '75 Spit 6 that we bought in '92. Because of my neuropathy and balance problems I sold our last road bike last year, but I/we loved riding all of them and have a lot of good memories.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #81

Always been an ambitious fellow.

At different employment jobs... I worked less than 18 months in my life for an actual paycheck.

At a young age; learned how to spell it and the true meaning of entrepreneur.

Very early 60's [5th and 6th grade]; news paper routs were cash providers for my friends.

Soooo, as I had saved and purchased a ol' Briggs and Stratton reel type power mower, and was making $$ doing lawns, being mechanically inclined I had a set of tools to keep the mower going.

Result was: I also became the neighborhood "news paper" bike mechanic. Made good income keeping my friends bikes in shape. Ya know... trueing the spokes on wheels, replacing/greasing ball bearings on axles and pedal apparatus. Adjusting handle bars, fixing seats, tightening or replacing chains, installing new pedals... and the like.

In the winter shoveling snow on walk ways and clearing snow off cars was much of my winter income.

Christmas time, at "Gellwilers farm", I laced up christmas trees and tied em onto car roofs - for tips only. Some times good tips! some times not so good.

By the time I was 12 I was working on painting and varnishing peoples boats in boat yards. Did that as supplemental income for years.

Still going strong in my own enterprises. Never looked back! Except to smile!!! -
Old 10-14-2019, 04:12 PM   #82

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Squeezing the yellow capsule into the white margarine substitute to make it look like butter. And packing it into cubes. Was at the end of WWII
rambler05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:53 PM   #83

Donuts arrived in a truck...a Helms truck with slide out racks?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:31 PM   #84

[QUOTE=MSHappyCampers;4983917]When we first got a telephone the only option was a party line. Eight families shared the line. The local gossips listened in all the time!

When I was a kid, we had a party line. We had an old crank phone and the operator was at a switch board in town. One night, my brother and I got to go to a movie and we were supposed to call dad to come and get us when it was over. The line was busy. It stayed busy until I was panicking because the man who ran the movie wanted to go home. He took us to the telephone building where a friend was the operator. I was crying and told Betty that we couldn't get hold of daddy to come and get us. She broke in the conversation and said it was an emergency. When daddy came on the line I told him that we had been out of the movie for an hour and we couldn't get through because a lady on the same line had been talking for hours. She came on and said, "I have not." So I know what you mean about the gossips. I guess she wanted to know what the emergency was so she could spread it about.
Linda Bohr is offline   Reply With Quote