Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2019, 10:24 AM   #127
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We had a pretty good size garden when I was probably 11 or 12 years old, and I had to help mother hoe the grass out. I remember getting frustrated one time and hollering out "I'll never make a hoer". I couldn't figure out why she was bursting out laughing!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2019, 09:18 AM   #128

Kids no longer play "hop scotch, cork ball, marbles, jump rope, cowboys and Indians."

How to make a sling shot, smoke grape vines, corn cob pipe, cut down your own Christmas tree.

Then again I just graduated from a dumb flip phone
Old 11-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #129

I will admit I have not read all the replies so I hope this isn't a repeat.

I remember making documents for the teacher using a mimeograph machine. The printing was purple and the pages felt damp until the solvent evaporated. I always enjoyed cranking the old machine. It got me out of class for awhile and I loved the smell of the solvent.
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:08 PM   #130

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I did that too. It would be hard to find one of those museum pieces now I'd say.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:56 PM   #131

Gas stations used to hand out drinking glasses. You kept returning until you had a set.

Gasoline used to actually smell good.

Gas stations gave you stamps based on the amount of gas you bought. The stamps were put in books that were eventually redeemed for "valuable merchandise". I remember my mom having stacks of books full of stamps as she saved up for an item.

And who could forget when banks handed out toasters or can openers if you opened an account.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:18 PM   #132

When I was in high school I worked at the local grocery store. Part of the time I worked in the "bottle room". When people would return their bottles for the deposit, the lady that worked at the counter would put the bottles on the conveyer and push them through the hole in the wall into the bottle room. I would then put the bottles into the correct wooden sft drink cases for the distributors to pick up. Wow, that was a long time ago!
Oldcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:27 PM   #133

Do I remember? I'm drinking one right now! For me, it's the only real cola! One time, a dear and now late friend( another RC lover) and I went into a convenience store to get a couple of them to drink. When he saw they didn't have them, he went to the manager and told them they were unAmerican!
Old 11-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCollins View Post
Gas stations used to hand out drinking glasses. You kept returning until you had a set.

Gasoline used to actually smell good.

Gas stations gave you stamps based on the amount of gas you bought. The stamps were put in books that were eventually redeemed for "valuable merchandise". I remember my mom having stacks of books full of stamps as she saved up for an item.

And who could forget when banks handed out toasters or can openers if you opened an account.
I still have a set of glasses my folks got at a gas station. Speaking of gas stations, do you remember when they had things called gas wars? All of the gas stations in the area would drop their prices in hopes of having the cheapest price so they could sell more gas. I remember watching my dad fill up or '59 Impala wagon for 19 cent a gollon. I' d like to buy a few million gollons at that price today!
Old 11-17-2019, 06:47 PM   #135

The world ended 1-1-2000. Guess I missed it. I do still have my contractors generator though
Old 11-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Yup, I remember the old outdoor toilet. You got your business done in a hurry in the middle of Winter!
I grew up in town but one of my uncles, who was a farmer, lived way out in the country in Tennessee. We would visit them every summer. I remember when the only water they had was from a hand dug well on their back porch. He eventually put running water in the kitchen. Several years later he closed in part of the back porch and built a bathroom for his wife. I remember asking my uncle if he was going to tear down the outhouse now that they had a bathroom. He just looked at me like I had lost my mind! My aunt later told me he didn't use that bathroom for almost five years. Old habits die hard!
Old 11-17-2019, 07:46 PM   #137

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I grew up on RC Cola too, and 7-Up. Remember the 8 pack 16oz bottles? I could only drink half of one now and be full!
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:13 AM   #138

And there was Nickle Cola, along with the rest. Of course it was $0.05.

I seem to remember dishes that came in rectangular oatmeal boxes, and a Golden Key man that would come with spices in a small delivery truck.

I remember gas wars when I was a was a young teen and helped to cut pulp wood on the farm. When gas wars were in play and it was around $0.17 or $0.18, compared with a few cents more where we lived, we would take a 55 gallon drum on the truck with the pulp wood and fill it up in town at the lower prices. Pennies added up back then, not so much now.

Nearly everyone had hand dug wells or springs, and outdoor toilets which I would guess weren't the healthiest things sometimes, depending on their relative locations.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #139

S & H Green Stamps. There is no telling how much glue we ingested from licking those things. It was always fun to go to the Green Stamp store to trade in books for merchandise.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:50 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
S & H Green Stamps. There is no telling how much glue we ingested from licking those things. It was like always fun to go to the Green Stamp store to trade in books for merchandise.
I can still taste that glue!