Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2020, 10:42 AM   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarnut View Post
Now the big question is this. Why can I remember that from 50 years ago but I can't remember what I had for breakfast?!
My theory, based on looong personal experience, is this:
Unless you're a simpleton your brain fills up sometime in your 50s or 60s. When you are learning new things the new information runs into resistance from the old information already in your brain. You can learn new things but it takes a lot more effort than it did when you were younger and your brain was still fairly empty.
You can only hope that the old information that is pushed out of your brain by the new information isn't more important.
Maybe that explains the old sayings like "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" and "in one ear and out the other."[emoji848]
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.[emoji56]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2020, 10:48 AM   #380
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
My theory, based on looong personal experience, is this:
Unless you're a simpleton your brain fills up sometime in your 50s or 60s. When you are learning new things the new information runs into resistance from the old information already in your brain. You can learn new things but it takes a lot more effort than it did when you were younger and your brain was still fairly empty.
You can only hope that the old information that is pushed out of your brain by the new information isn't more important.
Maybe that explains the old sayings like "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" and "in one ear and out the other."[emoji848]
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.[emoji56]
We must have the same 'philosopher' as that's exactly how it was explained to me
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #381

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
It's quite a mystery isn't it. How many times have we heard we only use about 20% of our brain power, max.
Yet, FL420's explication is correct. What is happening to the other space on the hard drive as it were? Perhaps only a few have tapped into that at will, like the Aborigines.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:01 PM   #382

I really experienced the issue first hand when I was hired to fly the Airbus A320 at age 53. Being all-electric, all-glass, fly-by-wire, side stick controls, 7 dual channel independent flight control computers, full authority digital engine controls(FADECs,) autothrust, 3 autopilots, 3 independent Inertial Reference Units(IRUs) and brake-by-wire autobrakes I had a lot to learn in a limited period of time. It was the first airliner I had to learn. All the previous jets I had flown were single and twin-engine fighter types with steam gauges and I hadn't flown anything in 8 years previously because of an eye problem.
There is a well-known saying that going through ground school learning a new-to-you airplane is like trying to drink from a fire hose. I became a believer in short order. I damn near drowned. It didn't help that french aircraft designers, computer programmers and bilingual technical writers don't do things the way Americans do. Every day was full of surprises.
While the younger guys could afford an hour or two every evening to kick back and have a beer during ground school I didn't dare. I was up to my eyeballs the whole month and couldn't comfortably slack off for a long time after I passed my checkride.
It is a hard airplane to learn but an easy airplane to fly. That is, until something goes wrong and you have let your hand-flying skills deteriorate. Many pilots in modern aircraft have done exactly that. I think some of them are intimidated by all the gee-whiz bells and whistles on the newer glass aircraft and are afraid to hand-fly. I ran into that frequently.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
Old 03-17-2020, 05:12 PM   #383

Remember when: Corona and lime were a drink, instead of a disease. Ps. you don't need a very good memory to remember this one. If you cant remember it, you can probably hide your own Easter eggs.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:48 PM   #384

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
I really experienced the issue first hand when I was hired to fly the Airbus A320 at age 53. Being all-electric, all-glass, fly-by-wire, side stick controls, 7 dual channel independent flight control computers, full authority digital engine controls(FADECs,) autothrust, 3 autopilots, 3 independent Inertial Reference Units(IRUs) and brake-by-wire autobrakes I had a lot to learn in a limited period of time. It was the first airliner I had to learn. All the previous jets I had flown were single and twin-engine fighter types with steam gauges and I hadn't flown anything in 8 years previously because of an eye problem.
There is a well-known saying that going through ground school learning a new-to-you airplane is like trying to drink from a fire hose. I became a believer in short order. I damn near drowned. It didn't help that french aircraft designers, computer programmers and bilingual technical writers don't do things the way Americans do. Every day was full of surprises.
While the younger guys could afford an hour or two every evening to kick back and have a beer during ground school I didn't dare. I was up to my eyeballs the whole month and couldn't comfortably slack off for a long time after I passed my checkride.
It is a hard airplane to learn but an easy airplane to fly. That is, until something goes wrong and you have let your hand-flying skills deteriorate. Many pilots in modern aircraft have done exactly that. I think some of them are intimidated by all the gee-whiz bells and whistles on the newer glass aircraft and are afraid to hand-fly. I ran into that frequently.
Fascinating airplane. I know a Delta mechanic very well who works on those. The A320 is the plane that replaced their DC-10/MD-11 fleet.
I was able to see all of the DC-10 once when one was in the hangar. That was one BIG bird.....and an absolute dinosaur compared to the A320. The technology just blows my mind, all you mentioned above with redundancy upon redundancy built into it. Ya got my respect man, and I've told you that before.[emoji41]
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:52 PM   #385

If I can remember to keep my doctor appointment I have in about a month, I'll ask her if she has a pill to fix my CRS disease! My nephew told me to take ginkgo biloba (I think I spelled it right). I told him it wouldn't work. He asked why. I said it was because I would forget to take it. There are some things you just can't fix! [emoji22]
Oldcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:59 PM   #386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Fascinating airplane. I know a Delta mechanic very well who works on those. The A320 is the plane that replaced their DC-10/MD-11 fleet.
I was able to see all of the DC-10 once when one was in the hangar. That was one BIG bird.....and an absolute dinosaur compared to the A320. The technology just blows my mind, all you mentioned above with redundancy upon redundancy built into it. Ya got my respect man, and I've told you that before.[emoji41]
Thanks for the kind words. I am a fan of yours too. I hope I don't ever do or say anything to make you change your mind.
Here's an interesting fact(or maybe not) about the A320. It was told to me by our senior captain who was a check airman.
He said that when Airbus was designing the seven 2 channel flight control computers they assigned one group of computer programmers to write the software for one of the channels. They assigned another group of programmers to independently write the software for the second channel. The two groups were kept apart and were not allowed to have any contact with each other.
The purpose was to provide redundancy so that if a glitch occurred in one of the two channels of a flight control computer it was very unlikely there would be the same glitch in the other channel used as a backup.
I don't know if that's a true story but it was comforting while getting acquainted with what was, at the time, the most advanced airliner in the world.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:18 PM   #387
NXR

Remember when you used to have the police called and you'd be arrested for wearing a mask into a store or a bank?

Ray
Old 03-28-2020, 01:00 PM   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Remember when you used to have the police called and you'd be arrested for wearing a mask into a store or a bank?

Ray

Old 03-28-2020, 01:21 PM   #389

Remember when......
I could aford to travel.
Could actually go camping.
Had health that allowed me to do stuff.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:51 AM   #390

In reading back through these I remembered getting a ticket for running a stop sign. I had just stopped for gas and set at the stop sign for long enough for my girlfriend to paste the green stamps in the book. Remember the sign S sequel T tires O on P pavement. Well that time it was not a good idea.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:08 PM   #391

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewebb View Post
In reading back through these I remembered getting a ticket for running a stop sign. I had just stopped for gas and set at the stop sign for long enough for my girlfriend to paste the green stamps in the book. Remember the sign S sequel T tires O on P pavement. Well that time it was not a good idea.
Similar story ... I had just taken driver training in high school. Got an A+, the first ever by the quite old driving instructor. He said if there's no crosswalk, pretend there is one and stop before entering it, then proceed cautiously. I did that and the motorcycle cop around the corner did not see me stop six feet from the traffic lane because of a large hedge. Cost me $6.
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:54 PM   #392

Oh yeah! Back when I was a teenager, a speeding ticket was $17.50. Now it will cost you that much to drive to the court house! What they charge for fines and "court costs" now should be a criminal offense!
Oldcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote