RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2020, 12:01 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Repurposing Box That Used To Hold Sewer Hose

I have a good storage box that I used to use tom hold our Camco Sewer hose in a larger motorhome. It was too big to put in the smaller Class C that we bought earlier this year and it has been sitting empty in our garage for months, now. Is it possible to clean it so that we could safely use it for storing other items? I don't want to take any risk with E-Coli bacteria. I always emptied the black tanks and then followed that with the gray water tanks and capped both ends of the sewer hose before returning the hose to the storage box. But, in the end it was a storage box for the sewer hose.

I was thinking of using a Lysol, anti-bacterial or bleach spray as a disinfectant. But want to make sure that would be enough. The other alternative is to simply toss the box out, which seems an awful waste. So now I am looking for opinions.

Thanks!

Dick1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2020, 12:24 PM   #2

Disinfect with bleach, let it sit for 24 hours, then re-use. It would be no different then the janitorial staff at a hospital. They do not throw away toilet seats after each patient. These days everyone is more aware of hygiene as they should be, but a good cleaning goes a long way.

bixler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:32 PM   #3

Unless you are going to store food in it, I would just wash it with Dawn Antibacterial Dishwashing Liquid and call it good. If you want, for good measure, you could then spray some bleach/water mixture in it, and rinse it out after 15 minutes or so.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:59 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to both of you!

That is what I thought. And my wife swears by Dawn anyway.

Thanks again.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick1030 View Post
I have a good storage box that I used to use tom hold our Camco Sewer hose in a larger motorhome. It was too big to put in the smaller Class C that we bought earlier this year and it has been sitting empty in our garage for months, now. Is it possible to clean it so that we could safely use it for storing other items? I don't want to take any risk with E-Coli bacteria. I always emptied the black tanks and then followed that with the gray water tanks and capped both ends of the sewer hose before returning the hose to the storage box. But, in the end it was a storage box for the sewer hose.

I was thinking of using a Lysol, anti-bacterial or bleach spray as a disinfectant. But want to make sure that would be enough. The other alternative is to simply toss the box out, which seems an awful waste. So now I am looking for opinions.

Thanks!
what material is the box made of?
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:36 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If the box is plastic a mixture with bleach will sanitize it.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:50 PM   #7

Quote:
That is what I thought. And my wife swears by Dawn anyway.

Thanks again.

When I was in the working world, a truck load of hog fat was in a accident spilling its load all over the highway. It was truly a slip and slide time. We used a road grader to scrape as much as we could then called in fire trucks to hose down the area. But the road was still very very slippery. The makers of Dawn (P&G) sent several 55 gallon drums of Dawn to us to try. Guess what.....it worked!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:08 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
what material is the box made of?
It is plastic.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:23 AM   #9

Quote:
It is plastic.
good. the disinfecting advice you received should work for you.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:10 AM   #10

I bleach my sewer hose container regularly. If not used for hose I would throw it out and buy new one for other purposes. I would always be thinking about what the box was used for before repurposed. Not worth the $15 to save. Just me.

Enjoy the journey