Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2021, 04:38 PM   #15

When I was in the working world, we were designing and installing cameras that looked out over the rest area parking lots. The software we were designing used the camera data and it could "see" the parking areas. One could highlight the parking slots and it would count the occupied ones.

At intersections where traffic signals were operating, we installed cameras and highlighted traffic lanes coming into the signaled area. The software then counted the number of vehicles in each lane, categorize them as car, truck or semi. This became important so we could automatically alter the signal lengths to accommodate various traffic patterns suck as schools or businesses letting out.

We tried the "hockey puck" idea, but snow, and plow trucks made the pucks unreliable. Not only that but the semi truck drivers would aim for the pucks and damage them with their weight.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2021, 10:42 PM   #16

Clearly they had to move the lines over a few feet because the posts were in the way.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
At least your Rest Areas are open .

The Rest Areas just North of Seattle on I-5 are now closed until the first of next year , at the soonest .

The real rub is that it includes the dump stations .
Bill ; thanks for posting the rest area info , I had been planning on Smokey Point , for a stop after I cross the border on the 8th of November , I was thinking the border will be mayhem as all of us from the north rush south for the winter . How far south of Seattle do the closures exist ?

EDIT: I see google maps has the rest areas marked as blocked off . I'll follow the maps south to check .
Old 10-22-2021, 10:11 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
And then you get the clown in the single car that goes and parks in the truck RV parking area. No such thing as courtesy and common sense any longer.

Ken
Old 10-22-2021, 10:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
And then you get the clown in the single car that goes and parks in the truck RV parking area. No such thing as courtesy and common sense any longer.

Ken
saw this in North Carolina last week, multiple cars in RV parking and couple in truck parking.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:44 AM   #20

Those spaces are obviously for Skinny Winnies.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
Those spaces are obviously for Skinny Winnies.

Old 10-22-2021, 10:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
Common sense , is an oxymoron.
If " Common sense " was truly , common , everybody would have it .

Worst I've seen was a family stopped for a picnic lunch , directly between the two " No Stopping at Any Time " signs at the entrance to a truck run away lane .
Old 10-24-2021, 03:43 PM   #23

Not my job!

Not my job!
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2021, 04:52 PM   #24

Not any different than some of the parking spots in Big Box store lots. A pole right in line at the end of a parking spot taking up 3-4 feet of the spot. Good space for a Smart Car only.

Then the shopping cart corral taking two perfectly good spots next to it.

Of course very few people put their carts in the corral, just leave it in an used parking space.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:22 PM   #25

Error in your count???

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Stopped in a I-65 rest area in KY for breakfast. We tow a car so we park in the Truck / Cars with Trailers spots.

Sign said 18 spots open. 5 of them look like this . It's time to call the white line painter back.

Attachment 346626Attachment 346627
I have to ask if you actually counted the actually number of truck parking spaces. Those spaces may not have been counted by the official government parking spacer counter as an useable space. The sign crew is still surveying the government mandated specifications to see what signage is required to be installed. At this time the sign crew is waiting for a response from the head of the state government to make a decision as whether to close the rest area until a committee has been formed to study the cost to correct the error. They actually do not feel that this is an error but just good use of public use of tax dollar at work and actual question if this is really in Kentucky. This is just a temporary inconvenience and will be corrected in the next years physical budget using the allowed pork barrel clause which will include any cost overruns incurred due to the delays. Please direct any questions to the appropriate department head. There will be a press briefing scheduled on Friday afternoon at 3:00pm to answer any question from concerned citizens as to where they should park in the mean time.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwinger View Post
Not any different than some of the parking spots in Big Box store lots. A pole right in line at the end of a parking spot taking up 3-4 feet of the spot. Good space for a Smart Car only..
And then the guy with the double cab long bed pick-up truck parks in that spot.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:54 PM   #27

Quote:
At least your Rest Areas are open .

The Rest Areas just North of Seattle on I-5 are now closed until the first of next year , at the soonest .

The real rub is that it includes the dump stations .

The reason given for closing them is the people camping in their decrepit RV for weeks in the parking areas, vandalism of the rest rooms and garbage being dumped all over the area.

The State DOT says it doesn't have the employees or resources to maintain the Rest Areas . In addition , their employees have been assaulted and threatened while trying to do their job.

It seems the homeless situation has gone from bad to worse.
Never ticket the offenders, Mace the whole crowd.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:14 PM   #28

Quote:
At least your Rest Areas are open .The Rest Areas just North of Seattle on I-5 are now closed until the first of next year , at the soonest .The real rub is that it includes the dump stations .
The reason given for closing them is the people camping in their decrepit RV for weeks in the parking areas, vandalism of the rest rooms and garbage being dumped all over the area.The State DOT says it doesn't have the employees or resources to maintain the Rest Areas . In addition , their employees have been assaulted and threatened while trying to do their job. It seems the homeless situation has gone from bad to worse.
Your moniker states "the Great NW". It certainly was the last time I was there 25 years ago. Seriously considered changing coasts. Okay, now assaulting DOT maintenance personnel? I won't ask where the police are or maybe I should ask what police? Possibly you should consider changing coasts?