Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Your wife has a lot of trophies? What is a trophy wife?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2018, 05:40 PM   #58

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
The thought is that the hard working late retirees (65) are more than likely putting too much stress on their ageing bodies and minds and due to the stress, they develop a variety of health problems. The associated stress induced health problems lead to them dying within two years of retirement.
That is actually what happened at my "Old Job". Either my fellow co-workers never saved for retirement, have too many health issues to go on a retirement medical plan or are afraid to retire. Got out at 53 and 4 days late left for Alaska for 3 months. Too many of my co-workers have bodies that are wearing out, hips, knees and backs. I got out the first day I was able to get my crappy small pension. But many do 40-50 years. Most pushing into their late 60's or 70's. If I had to estimate, I would say 5% retire in their 50's, even being able to get their full crappy pension.

Been out now for 20 months, and could never go back to the rat race. I do work 3 days a week at our local ski hill, mainly to get my free ski pass and extra money for RV travels. It's only about a 3 or 3-1/2 month job, just enough to know "work" is not in my future.

I have noticed guys who worked to the bone 40+ years, walking out with multiple health issues, passed away within a few years. But guys who retired in their 50's, seem to be still around and over-all seem to hold up much better.

30 seconds after my last day, my stress level went way down 200%. Life is too short, get out and smell the roses....Go RVing
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:43 PM   #59

I love my actual”job” I would do it for a hobby,but the arbitrary regulation (that make no common sense) push stress levels through the roof .
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:10 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
I love my actual”job” I would do it for a hobby,but the arbitrary regulation (that make no common sense) push stress levels through the roof .
I hear you on that one. I also loved my job (combination office and field engineer- analysis, research, problem solving, design, and some light field hands-on testing, construction, or supervision). I saved the firm hundreds of thousands of dollars by offsetting contract firms (convincing management we could do the work on our own with our own resources). I sometimes felt like I had one of the better jobs because I was mostly sheltered from the politics and always felt I was making improvements. Sometimes the stress was a bit uncalled for. When I got to 65, I knew it was time to retire and change my life while I still had the opportunity. Wouldn't you know it, a year later the boss calls me up and asks me if I would like to come back to work. Of course, the answer was " thank you, but I'm on to different and exciting adventures these days" lol. I never got another call.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:49 PM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Not everyone has the luxury of retiring at retirement age or earlier.

I had always planned hang it up when I hit 66, but a divorce changed everything. Now I am still working at 71, and may have to work a few more years.

I was always told that heredity was the key factor.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:30 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Then there's this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	liveto80.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	191649  
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:03 AM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Then there's this...

Isn't that the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 02-09-2018, 04:20 AM   #64

Something to be said for that. Also something to be said about the way we have stopped valuing workers. Anyone involved has seen the steady decline in respect for folks who work with their hands since roughly the late 70's to early 80's. We bemoan bad build quality but expect it from workers are are paid low wages and pushed to maximize production quantity. That is universal for both the workers and often their management driven by the same edict to maximize profits. Then we wonder why life has gotten much more stressful for most of us. One of the side effects is the number who work longer and die younger than expected.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:28 AM   #65

Ford Super Duty Owner
I retired at 58 and am 84 and still going strong.
whmprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:58 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Something to be said for that. Also something to be said about the way we have stopped valuing workers. Anyone involved has seen the steady decline in respect for folks who work with their hands since roughly the late 70's to early 80's. We bemoan bad build quality but expect it from workers are are paid low wages and pushed to maximize production quantity. That is universal for both the workers and often their management driven by the same edict to maximize profits. Then we wonder why life has gotten much more stressful for most of us. One of the side effects is the number who work longer and die younger than expected.

There is such a shortage of skilled workers here in our area that some are making wages that exceed the wages of college grads. I just had an electrician in for his taxes who made over $200,000 last year. We are seeing carpenters being billed out at $60 an hour and up. The underpaid skilled person is becoming a thing of the past just because of supply and demand. Now how well those workers plan for their retirement is another issue, but the wages are getting there.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:44 AM   #67

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
There is such a shortage of skilled workers here in our area that some are making wages that exceed the wages of college grads. I just had an electrician in for his taxes who made over $200,000 last year. We are seeing carpenters being billed out at $60 an hour and up. The underpaid skilled person is becoming a thing of the past just because of supply and demand. Now how well those workers plan for their retirement is another issue, but the wages are getting there.

Same here, if they apply themselves most are doing good. I have 6 employees and the lowest earner makes very good. They work hard, are motivated and require no supervision. I’m in the process of turning the business over to them this year.
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:16 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
so if you retire at 40 do you live to 100 ?

I retired at 37 and wondering how I did not calculate in the desire for new toys with inflation costs. Perhaps some under the table consulting work is in order...ah dreams.
attackgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:23 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Then there's this...

I’m now considering LSD. A life changing experience.
attackgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:12 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
For Union Carpenters that is roughly the same wage they were making in 1980. Electricians were paid more.

Neither of those examples really matter. The problem is not the select number of folks who done an apprenticeship instead of college. The issue is the number of folk the public schools have been cranking out with no hand skills and not tool experience if they make it to graduation. We stopped teaching people to be workers and stopped paying them to do it. Easier to import everything and assume we will all be managers or artists.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote