Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2014, 07:28 AM   #15

I get what you're saying. There are a lot of guys using Ebay and Craigslist to not just supplement their income, but to maintain contact with the rest of the world? Find a niche you know, then start buying and selling at any level you like. I've seen guys do quite well at this....

If you wanted to keep it at more of a personal level, there's also the flea market hawkers selling all kinds of "stuff". Some of those do pretty well for themselves as well! Buying and selling everything from plants to used tool boxes.....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2014, 07:30 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Nope! We sold our business and retired in 2010, and I love every minute of it!

There's always something to fix or improve on the MH, and always something else to see or do!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:34 AM   #17

Before retirement you have to have a plan of what you'll be doing, if anything, when you do hang it up. I had a very high pressure profession that was very lucrative monertarily, but it wasn't conducive to longevity. I was a type A personality, going a 100 mph with my hair on fire for many years. Smoked too much, not enough sleep, not eating right, nor was I getting any exercise. When I was 50 I was diagnosed with coronary artery disease and had a triple bypass. I was told that if I kept up with my way of living the next time the dr. saw me I would have a toe tag. That was 20yrs. ago and the wake up call I needed. I started planning my escape from working and the rat race. We've been having a ball since 2010 when we went fulltime. I work out everyday, stopped smoking the day of the warning, and don't really care if I do anything constructive day to day. My days are full because I have the freedom to do as I wish. But again you can't just retire and sit in a rocking chair on the porch because you won't last very long with that plan. I'm reminded of a quote from Jack London I read many, many years ago, " I would rather be a meteor with every atom of me in magnificent glow, than be a sleepy and dark planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist."
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
Anybody else miss the excitement?
Mrfoto
The only thing I miss is not being able to do anything on "company time".
(Everything that needs doing I have to do on my own time)!
Mel
'96 Safari...11 years retired...(which means I was tired yesterday and I'm tired again today).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
When I retired 20 years ago, I was responsible for $14 billion in contracts. I've never looked back, never felt guilty, never needed "confirmation" that I had succeeded. I've been amazingly busy since, doing what and when I want to. Life's short - enjoy it!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:56 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think the OP misses the "that-a-boy" slap on the back he used to get. I have about 360 work days left, and counting down every one of them. Been planning retirement since my late teens (Made a personally goal to retire before the age of 55)

My good buddy / co-worker is retiring tomorrow and I'll enjoy a piece of his retirement cake. I have plans *Alaska summer of 16'*
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:24 AM   #21

I got so fed up of having to travel to wonderful places like Dubai, Brunei, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, etc., on Boeing business. Then along came the merger with McDonnell-Douglas and they added insult to injury by cancelling the rule that any trip overseas was Business Class and we were relegated to coach class. No way would I go to those places on a 26-hour ride in coach.

No other jobs were offered, so I retired at 58. I did a couple of years as a contract engineer at Boeing, then a couple more as a transit coach driver. Finally fully retired at 65 and have enjoyed it for the last 8 years.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You're probably suffering from a Psychological condition known as Functional Autonomy. That says your psychic is tuned to the rhythm of your profession.

Most people defeat that over a short period, but some have problems. The best thing is to find other interests that you enjoy and make that your new career. I shoot skeet, trap, go camping, fishing, spend time with Grandkids, smoking meat, wood cutting, traveling, ect.

You can also describe this as losing your identity. In other words you are what your job was, and now feel lost without it. Same remedy.

Others have suggested part time work. That's an alternative as well. Just find something.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:16 AM   #23

In life, as in books, chapters close so new ones can open. Everyone who is retired has days with nothing to do. The new mind set is to keep these as few as possible.

As suggested, you can try different part time jobs or volunteer work where ever the rig is parked. Since you are not depending on these "paychecks," if you don't like your boss or job, you can leave.

Start your own bucket list of not only where you want to travel, but things you also want to accomplish or try to do. Nothing can be too far out of the ordinary. My philosophy since I retired 23 years ago, was if I can afford it and my body will still let me do, I just might try it.

My wife and I became BBQ competition judges which takes us to areas of the country which are not high tourist areas but we are seeing things which we might not have seen or done otherwise, like the Jello museum and a tow truck museum.

I went to a vintage car race at Watkins Glen last month. There was a class which included MGs, one of the earlier cars in my life. I'm checking to see what it will take to buy one and get into the racing end. The nice thing about the vintage cars, the racing is not serious as with NASCAR, everybody goes around the track at their own pace. If nothing else, the research will keep me busy for a time.

Good luck with whatever you try.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Early in life I suffered a "promotion defeat". I didn't get the job and the other guy did. I thought the world had come to an end. I received some advice then and have carried it with me throughout my life. "You are not what you do for a living. You can live to work or work to live. Get busy living as there is always work to be done."

There is nothing wrong in taking pride in your work, proudly investing yourself in a company you work for or own. A job well done and the accolades received are all well and good. Take a bow, do an end zone dance - leave it there and go home - to your dog, your spouse, your family, your ant farm collection - whatever it is that IS your life - the life you choose to live as a reward for the hard work you do.

BTW - The job I didn't get - nearly ruined the guy who did. It fizzled out, so did he, and that was that.

Some say we should prioritize
God, Family, and Service to Others - Then everything else.
Work need not be 3rd or even 4th. You may not include God - or have a family or wish to give service to others - but that shouldn't make work #1 - unless that's what you really want. And if it is - then find some work and do it.

My thought - it's not too late to change if you want to. And if you don't want to - don't. Go find something to work at. But you don't need to "see someone". You may need to "meet someone" or "see some more of the country / world" or may just need another job. Maybr you're not ready for retirement. Some people never retire and are quite happy with that.

My advice - work a bit on being Retired. I just retired 10/17 and haven't thought about work once. Except to send my boss (a good friend) a text to ask if I've become the "goat" yet... LOL. Don't miss it a bit - 27 years - good ones at that - have put us on the road to full timing a week from tomorrow. I will not miss work one bit as I have too many plans for the future already.

The cure for boredom is curiosity.There is no cure for curiosity.
--- Dorothy Parker ---

Good Luck!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Your lucky. I'd be surprised if many people under 40 now in the Western World will ever get to truly retire.
But work to live not live to work, I describe myself as a Scuba Diver, not a "Business Intelligence contractor", that's just a necessary evil that I have to do to pay for the things I want to do.
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
At my present employment location we have too many 65-75 year olds afraid to retire because of that "Functional Autonomy" effect. John the plumber, Mike the lead mechanic, Joe the head dispatcher... They retire and Mike is no longer the lead mechanic.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
I guess I am an adrenaline junkie!
Anybody else miss the excitement?
My career consisted of short periods of adrenaline and mediocre periods of routine (to me, at least).

What I miss is the excitement sometimes, the fun I had, and the most of the people I worked with. What I don't miss is the administrators and the BS that came with the job.

I've been retired for fours years now after working 33 years on the job and don't mind it at all. Can't wait until my wife retires in two years so we can sell the house and create some full-timing adventures on the road.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:03 AM   #28

Foretravel Owners Club
We all have our reasons and excuses for what ever, DW & I, age 73, still going, don't know what else to do, business is strong & steady after 40 years, employees happy and the DW thinks we will keep the business going for another 30 years.
No need for more money, no debt, well funded retirement program, just have no idea what to do that would make us happier so just keep one foot in front of other.
Cheers
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote