Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2017, 07:55 AM   #1

Retirement Savings

I had an interesting conversation with one of my neighbors about retirement savings. He had commented about how I must have inherited a lot of money to be able to afford a motorhome and travel so much in our retirement years. He said I'm still working at 70 and will be until I'm 85! "how did you get so rich?" he asked.

"Well, I haven't received any inheritance, but I did have a smart father and he instilled in me to put away 6% of my earnings into a retirement account (or the same amount as what Social Security took out of paychecks). I started that when I was a newspaper boy back in the 60's and have done that with every job I have held since" I told him, "and I never touched that money until retirement time". He countered with "I couldn't do that because I needed all of my money to live on".

So my question to you kind people is "Did you save for retirement?"
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2017, 08:00 AM   #2

Yes, we both work for major corp. so have had the benefit of great matching in our 401 accts. If you don't see it you will never miss it. Each time I get a raise I up my percentage into my 401 so it has grown nicely over 25 yrs. I have always pushed new employees to take advantage of this as well because they will not have the benefit of a pension like us old timers.
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I had an interesting conversation with one of my neighbors about retirement savings. He had commented about how I must have inherited a lot of money to be able to afford a motorhome and travel so much in our retirement years. He said I'm still working at 70 and will be until I'm 85! "how did you get so rich?" he asked.

"Well, I haven't received any inheritance, but I did have a smart father and he instilled in me to put away 6% of my earnings into a retirement account (or the same amount as what Social Security took out of paychecks). I started that when I was a newspaper boy back in the 60's and have done that with every job I have held since" I told him, "and I never touched that money until retirement time". He countered with "I couldn't do that because I needed all of my money to live on".

So my question to you kind people is "Did you save for retirement?"
Yup, beer, cigarettes, tattoos, lottery tickets and $200 a month cable TV ain't free.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #4

I had an employer that required that we put a certain percentage every year into an IRA. No match mind you. Just the requirement. I hated it then but am so grateful now.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:39 AM   #5

I am getting pretty fed up with the "you must be rich" garbage . . . see a lot of it on this website which is disappointing. We may seem to be "rich" but its only the result of between the two of us having worked almost 90 YEARS and saving.

If you want to buy a older unit and fix it up I'm all for it! Did it with multiple houses but don't act like you are somehow "better" than someone who made a different choice.

Buy what you want and can afford then get out in the wind and enjoy it!
Old 08-19-2017, 08:53 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I worked for the State of Washington for 30 years. In 1998 I started collecting 60% of my highest two years of work. My late wife had a retirement through her employer, plus bought stock with matching from the company. Since her death a year ago this coming Monday I get her higher SS too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #7

yes we were able to retire last year at 60 lived very very comfortable life never above our means, purchased certified preowned cars instead of new as I put about 30k miles a year. Bonuses were truly bonuses. half for travel half for investing. We have owned 8 homes in 40 years and whenever we sold a home rolled the equity into new home to keep mortgage payment low and paid credit cards off at end of each month. When we purchased our MH we purchased one that was 15 months old let the original owner take the hit And will take SS at 62
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:57 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a large jar of quarters....
spinroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinroch View Post
You're Set
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinroch View Post
Just emptied our Beer mug "found money jar (loose change)" and yielded about $80 bucks! WHHOOOO HOOOOO!! Gonna get to eat tonight! LOL
Old 08-19-2017, 09:11 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
When I was a kid working I could not understand how my friends always had toys - boats, three-wheelers, etc when I could not afford them. I am now retired for about 8 months, but during my professional career I always put away as much money as I could into retirement because my motto has always been "you pay now, or you pay later"

I currently have 4 retirement accounts, and use only one of them. Interestingly, the one I use gives me more take-home pay that I had when I was working full time.
owgpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:16 AM   #12

Mindset

I retired from the Army at 55 years old. 34 years total, 14 Active Duty and 10 good years National Guard. We saved and invested most of our married lives. At times, up to 17%. To be sure, we are blessed, we worked hard, and made choices.

I grow tired of slackers that say "you're rich or lucky, 'cause the government is paying your retirement." Well, I've got 7 combat deployments and all the associated exposure.

Fast forward. Our cars are paid for, the house payment is made automatically from investments, we are on the road 45-60 days a year, and we tithe. On paper, we are not rich. We live a rich life because of choices made and blessings from the Almighty.
AWOL2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
When the kids were little and money was tight, I did not save. In my early 30s I did buy whole life insurance, that I use to fund their college tuition for my two kids. Then I started saving for retirement. Company's had nice matching for 401 K so at first I contributed that matching percentages. Then, every time I got a raise, 1/2 of that percentage went into that 401K. I was contributing the legal max for the last several years. The company stock it was invested in did fairly well. I did take a small loan from it once, did the numbers later and learned what a mistake that was! A divorce after 25 years of marriage it it hard, but was surprised how that recovered by being conservative, and working until age 64.
And most importantly, I am truly, truly BLESSED.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As I look back over my 69 years I can't think of a dime I regret spending except for that DAMN 76 Cardova!! Hated that car!!!!!