Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2022, 11:00 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I love the compassion in your post. My wife would react similarly. I would continue to own the the beautiful Panther though. They were beautiful and alot of attention was paid into the build quality. I would adapt in whatever way I could to keep owning it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2022, 09:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
I love the compassion in your post. My wife would react similarly. I would continue to own the the beautiful Panther though. They were beautiful and alot of attention was paid into the build quality. I would adapt in whatever way I could to keep owning it.
I support your decision, you are comfortable with it and that is the only important thing. When you have put your heart and soul into something it becomes part of you.

I wish you happy travels and amazing memories.

Carol
Russ.n.Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellybelle View Post
Keep motorhome Trade wife!
Expense-wise, the Wife v2 trade is a lot more $$$. You have to buy out the current one, and finance the new one.

Keep the wife and the MH. And "take the Cannoli".
Old 06-24-2022, 09:31 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OP, I would keep your coach.
We traded up January of 2021 from a 33' class "C" to a 37' class "A" and got it all sorted out on one good long trip to Florida.
My DW of 56 years passed in May of '21, 9 days after we got home.
So, now it's just me and the dog.
At 80, I would not dream of selling or trading up or down, as I know this coach and trust in my own maintenance work.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:31 PM   #19

Sorry for your loss Flyer15015. Are you able to get some trips in every once in awhile? We go once a month for about 4 days and usually not more than 120 miles from home. Did not realize so much history and exciting sites that close here in East Texas. I’m keeping the beast. Now all I need to repair are my steps. Have safe travels my friend.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:25 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup, we still travel.
I'm on the road, selling castings and machine parts, so I use the coach as an office and motel room on the front range and Salt Lake City. Usually out 3 - 4 nights every other week. Will wander down to Florida in March and visit customers along the way.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:27 PM   #21

Rexhall Owners Group
Just turned 79. I've thought about downsizing or even hanging up the keys. I've also thought of buying a diesel or possibly another no-slide gasser. What I really want to do is minimize the amount of time I'm on my knees placing jack pads on the ground or stuffing a 40 lb grill into a small bay that sit's under a slide which my head has become very familiar with. I'm also a bit tired of listening to our big block V8 roar at 4500 rpms as we drive in the mountainous West.

The challenge with downsizing is finding a smaller diesel with everything that makes the trip more enjoyable. That includes a king sized bed, an oven for the wife and enough room to occassionally take our daughter who is on disability.

The other challenge is what the Heck am I going to do for another 20 years if I live to age 99 like my mom?
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 01:04 PM   #22

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Lots of good information and thoughts here. It is not any more work to drive a longer rig than it is to drive and take care of a shorter rig. That being said, keep what you have until you and your bride are ready to sell it.

I would suggest though, that you have more of the maintenance performed by a reliable mechanic and take it easy on yourself.
Fitchburg, WI
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:06 PM   #23

Stay with the devil you know. By now everything that is going to go wrong has gone wrong. The only problem now is remembering how you fixed it the first time & where you stored the spare part for when it happens again.

Thats my plan. When I can't crawl under it to fix something then it will be time to give it up & let it go. Tools, spares & all. Somebody gets a 'turn key' rig.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:12 PM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
I think sometimes a wife is the reason we -men- die first. Wait-- I'm not bad mounting a wife. Its just they say you shouldn't do this and maybe you shouldn't do that. They think they are just taking care of us. But I don't think they understand that doing things keeps us alive and able to do things. So much of our lives are learned- - balance if you walked over rough areas you learn how to keep your balance. You stop doing those type of thing you lose the ability to do it. I used to be to mentally juggle several different jobs at the same time. I stopped having mentally do that and now I can't do it. Certainly as we get older things change. But the number one thing- research says what keeps you young is staying active. Wives mean well but they kill us with concern and kindness.
We as men have to pause and think can I really do this and do it safely. And if you can then do it.

If your wife doesn't want travel is because the husband can't do it or the wife really doesn't want to travel then that's a different story. And that's my story. Safe Travels
Well said!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb1st View Post
Just turned 79. I've thought about downsizing or even hanging up the keys. I've also thought of buying a diesel or possibly another no-slide gasser. What I really want to do is minimize the amount of time I'm on my knees placing jack pads on the ground or stuffing a 40 lb grill into a small bay that sit's under a slide which my head has become very familiar with. I'm also a bit tired of listening to our big block V8 roar at 4500 rpms as we drive in the mountainous West.

The challenge with downsizing is finding a smaller diesel with everything that makes the trip more enjoyable. That includes a king sized bed, an oven for the wife and enough room to occassionally take our daughter who is on disability.

The other challenge is what the Heck am I going to do for another 20 years if I live to age 99 like my mom?
I simply love your optimism. Your mom and mine (97) would have been proud of you.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:49 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Only you can tell if it's getting to big?
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:23 PM   #27

With a smaller coach you still need to hook up the water, electric, sewer, and cable. Only downfall is everything is much tighter inside. Plus you need to find a new coach which won’t be that easy considering small is the new big. I understand the big rig has more systems and maintenance, but it’s also the devil you know.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote