Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Rock and mineral hunters beware!

Open Channel - U.S. warns workers on cancer-causing mineral erionite
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
First of all, this is one of those "MAY" pieces and will likely be reversed in 6-12 months. Second, I don't believe anything from MSNBC. Third, one of the most hazardous materials we see and use daily is Dihydrogen Monoxide. Worry about that stuff.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
First of all, this is one of those "MAY" pieces and will likely be reversed in 6-12 months. Second, I don't believe anything from MSNBC. Third, one of the most hazardous materials we see and use daily is Dihydrogen Monoxide. Worry about that stuff.
I Googled erionite to find out what the heck it was and saw plenty of references to it being as dangerous as asbestos so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

Even though this site treats it tongue in cheek, you are correct about the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide (unless it is pure, of course).
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:27 PM   #4

The referenced article indicates this is a danger for those working in quarries and road construction. It says nothing about rock collecting.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have to agree with the last post "Workers" not folks picking up rocks.

The danger is from long term exposure to the DUST. and long term exposure to DUST is dangerous no matter what the dust. Diffrerent dusts different dangers, but dangerous non the less.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
I Googled erionite to find out what the heck it was and saw plenty of references to it being as dangerous as asbestos so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

Even though this site treats it tongue in cheek, you are correct about the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide (unless it is pure, of course).
I have been known to put a 'pinch between my cheek and gums' (after mixing it with good bourbon). I'm still kickin'.

As to asbestos, it is the fibers that are dangerous. When the big push to remove all the asbestos in the world came about, they took materials that were imbedded in sealant/bingers and made it hundreds of times more dangerous than it was if left alone. Rather like worrying about poison in a bottle and then spraying it around to get rid of it.

I put it in the same category as Mercury (Hg). Certainly it is potentially dangerous but one need not scream and run for the hills at the sight of it. IMHO, YMMV

Old 11-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
I have been known to put a 'pinch between my cheek and gums' (after mixing it with good bourbon). I'm still kickin'.

As to asbestos, it is the fibers that are dangerous. When the big push to remove all the asbestos in the world came about, they took materials that were imbedded in sealant/bingers and made it hundreds of times more dangerous than it was if left alone. Rather like worrying about poison in a bottle and then spraying it around to get rid of it.

I put it in the same category as Mercury (Hg). Certainly it is potentially dangerous but one need not scream and run for the hills at the sight of it. IMHO, YMMV

And they used mercury for filling teeth......
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anybody remember buying mercury from the local drug store and coating silver coins with it? If it is as dangerous as they say it is I should be dead.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #9

Asbestos, lead paint, R12 refrigerant, mold, mercury, and the list goes on and on. All of these products have some health risk to them. All of them made some lawyers, manufacturers, governments, regulating agencies, and others very rich.
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
According to a recent survey the greatest threat to our health and welfare was the epidemic of LAWYERS that is sweeping the nation.. Tom Paxton-Lyrics-One Million Lawyers

Explains it way better than I can.. I did not check the copyright on that page but the first time I heard that song....... Over 10 years ago.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720 View Post
And they used mercury for filling teeth......
They still do.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:51 AM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Anybody remember buying mercury from the local drug store and coating silver coins with it? If it is as dangerous as they say it is I should be dead.

Jon
We always coated copper pennies with it to make them silvery. don't know why you did the silver coins?
Old 11-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
According to a recent survey the greatest threat to our health and welfare was the epidemic of LAWYERS that is sweeping the nation.. Tom Paxton-Lyrics-One Million Lawyers

Explains it way better than I can.. I did not check the copyright on that page but the first time I heard that song....... Over 10 years ago.
I agree and I am a lawyer.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Jon
I can picture myself sitting on the floor with my dad supplying the mercury that we coated dimes with many times. Might explain a few things.

And, don't dismiss that know fact that swallowing small amount of saliva, over a long period of time, causes death.

Also, breathing large amounts of Nitrogen laced air, over a long period of time will cause death.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote