Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Rotator cuff surgery

Hi there, wondering if anyone has had a rotator cuff surgery? Well I'm giving in and likely to have surgery in mid July. Trying to get things in order before. I was blessed with a little bit of a twist here. My surgery will be on my right arm, but I was born without fingers on my left hand. This will be a challenge, maybe more to my husband:.

I'm the driver of my rig, so time to teach him! I also fly fish...hum: and paddle board,and bike,and tole paint. So, I'm learning everything in a very new way. The fishing,well my friend will cast for me, and I guess haul them in. I'm going to get a small motor for my paddle board, and a harness for my dog,just kidding. The painting, well I had a dear friend many moons ago who had cp. he painted, and was quite talented, with his mouth. He would hold the brush with his mouth and wow what he could do. I just don't want to drool! Ha,ha.

So if you ever wonder why bad things happen, why folks have disabilities they have to overcome, it's so we can inspire others along the way. It's amazing how much we have,and when we somehow loose it, we can handle it one way or another, which ever we choose then can change our lives and others too. Either good or maybe not.

If anyone has creative suggestions, go fly with it. The driving is the biggest challenge! Maybe not!
kathyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2013, 04:37 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Sorry to hear. I tore mine twelve years ago and was all set to have surgery. Pre op physical and blood tests. I met a nurse who told me at least ten times ( in a five minute conversation ) to cxl the surgery. She explained that a large percentage have poor results and the recovery was a bear. She suggested that I try physical therapy. I went for four weeks ( 2x a week ) and had the exercise bands at home and never needed the surgery. It hurts some when I abuse it ( wax the MH ) , but feels better in a few days.
Therefore , I pass along the same advice and wish you well.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:46 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Thanks, tried everything,I developed RSD in my hand after a fall a few years ago. The first injections for the shoulder triggered the RSD again so I don't know which is worse. That's my greatest worry,how bad will the surgery effect the RSD.
kathyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #4

I tore my rotator cuff and bicep a couple of years ago. After six months with no improvement, I finally went to see an orthopedist. He said that we should try to avoid surgery, but that at my age (70), therapy might not work.

I had a cortisone shot and went to the therapy 3 times a week. Got another cortisone shot 6 weeks later and then 2 weeks after that, stopped the therapy. Today, it feels great.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #5

You AND your husband will have a challenge. I had two torn rotator cuff tendons in my right shoulder and had surgery in May of last year. In an immobilizer sling for 6 weeks, then physical therapy for months. It takes about one year to fully recover. Mine went very well. It seems to be good as new now. No pain and 97% range of motion. I am taking better care of the left shoulder. It was no fun. Had to sleep in a recliner for two weeks after surgery. They gave me a shoulder block type of anesthesia in addition to general so feeling didn't come back in my arm for two days. That must have been when most of the pain would have been present because after that wore off I really didn't have much pain.

Good luck.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good luck, recovery is bear. I "misunderstood" my Doc's recovery time...
NOT 6 weeks to full function. More like 6 MONTHS and I pushed to get there.
Follow PT instructions.
It worked though pain was 7+ and low function.
Pain now 0 w/ 99% ROM tough to stand at ease. LOL
Keith
Keitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #7

Surgery

My surgen told me I had two muscles completely severed. One was the worst he had ever seen. He had no place to put posts to surcure the torn muscles so he just sewed up as best as he could. He told me it would be a year recovery. As mentioned first couple of weeks sleeping is a challenge. T ake the pain medication ahead of time ( don't wait until you feel the pain), make sure you take it 45 minutes before going to rehab. Put your mind to the fact you can do it. Two months after surgery I'm playing Pickleball 3-4 hours a day. No problem!!! Again, put your mind to the fact you can do it. Been 6 months now and I still have to do the exercises daily but no pain and no problems. You can do it. Good luck
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
You AND your husband will have a challenge. I had two torn rotator cuff tendons in my right shoulder and had surgery in May of last year. In an immobilizer sling for 6 weeks, then physical therapy for months. It takes about one year to fully recover. Mine went very well. It seems to be good as new now. No pain and 97% range of motion. I am taking better care of the left shoulder. It was no fun. Had to sleep in a recliner for two weeks after surgery. They gave me a shoulder block type of anesthesia in addition to general so feeling didn't come back in my arm for two days. That must have been when most of the pain would have been present because after that wore off I really didn't have much pain.

Good luck.

Don
This sounds like my exact situation. Had the surgery, sling, therapy etc. Same recovery time. Now not much pain at all but it was a real bear.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #9

I did not give up.

Did PT for 2 months. Got somewhat better. Continuing same PT on my own, 3 years later I am 95%, and doing much better than 2 buddies that went under the knife.

I will do the PT forever to keep the muscle tone up. 45 minutes a day.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I had my rotator cuff done about 3 years ago. Once the surgery was done, my DR said the more pain I can take, the faster I will heal. I really pushed hard on therapy. I had 80% usage in 2 weeks.

The same doctor just operated on my torn meniscus. Surgery was on a Tuesday and I walked into therapy that Friday. They sent me home. I spent those 2 days stretching and walking. Very painful but healed very quickly.

So I guess I'm trying to say, you control the healing time, by how much time and effort you put into it.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #11

New to the forum and saw the OP post on this today. I am going to have my RT shoulder repaired on Monday. It seems I have a large calcium buildup in the area. When I move my arm in many directions, the tendons run over the lump of calcium and my arm will go numb. I tried the PT route and while my muscle tone did improve, the pain and numbing affects were too much and I decided to go for the surgery. I will keep posting on my experiences so others can have current information for their decision.
Alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Kathyp,

I have had both rotator cuffs repaired, along with both ACL reconstructions and then a right knee replacement.

Different people react differently to any operation. If you had asked my while I was going through physical therapy on my rotator cuffs if I should have had it done, I would have said "No." But, now I am 99% whole again. As stated, if I overdo it I'll have a little pain, but it goes away withing a day. Sitting here typing this right now I have no pain at all, none, and that is most of my days now.

I had the cortisone shots and they did not work. For some people they do so it is a trial and error call. It is worth it to try the cortisone first along with PT.

My DW had her rotator cuff repaired last Nov and she is still having pain. Different strokes for different folks. If it works, it is worth it.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
My wife had a 95% tear in hers. We went to a surgeon who works with athletes and he did the surgery. She was 6 weeks in a sling, and about 7 months of rehab. The pain for her was not really bad, but the rehab was tough. Just be sure to have an MRI and be sure how bad it is before making your decision. Best of luck to you on whatever you decide. (I can tell you, that you should be able to drive in about 3 months.)
Old 06-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #14

iRV2 No Limits Club
I had two co-worker have surgery at different times about 15 years ago.
They both were very successful, and happy with the results. If my memory serves me, they were back to full duty in 6 months and had only minor stiffness after a year. They both followed their exercise routine religiously.
Today with more modern techniques I would expect a quicker recovery.

Like advice I was given and have found to be true with the wife's recent heart surgery, have the surgeon define what he calls success. The see if that meets YOUR definition of success. There may be a difference.

Best of luck.