Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2016, 04:53 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Running A/C on Solar

This is a great article and video by the Wynns:

Off Grid Solar Powered RV Air Conditioning - Is it Possible? - Gone With The Wynns
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2016, 12:20 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great link, Scott...thanks

Shopping for your "soft start" system parts yet?

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:28 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
An option for the rig we have was to run the front heat pump off the inverter. To do that they added a second 3000 watt PS inverter and two more 8D AGM's for a total of 6. Not sure how long you could run it though.
When we had our '00 Dutch Star we had CW replace the 400 watt inverter with a 2000 watt. They wired it so both heat pumps would run off the inverter. We had 2 GC-2 batteries and could run one heat pump for about 20 min before we got the low voltage alarm and shutdown.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:12 AM   #4
Community Moderator

interesting experiment...

hmm... to make it work practically, other than the "soft start" a/cs, 960w is probably a little too small. it won't be able to replenish the consumption of energy in volume/timely.

i did notice they were using 14.1v for fp4 batts. it's kinda a little too high imo. though i am not sure who made the cells for go power, there might be a variance among makers, a consensus among li users is that the higher the battery is charged to the shorter the life span it will get. 13.4-13.6v is considered as a balanced spot.

if i were to do it, well i might, someday if i have the urge, i would do the followings:
1) increase the panel wattage - i have the space to add 2-3 more panels i'll make it totally about 2000w.
2) use 96v or 48v dc configuration. the closer the battery voltage to 110v, the lesser burden the inverter to take.
3) subsequently the inverter needs to be adequate for the set up and a step down dc-dc transformer is required for existing coach 12v devices.
4) i might miss somethings please add...

fun stuff to watch... thanks for posting it.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:35 PM   #5

Still beach in Yucatan. Had to use a/c a lot today and used combination of solar (1100 W) and the local power (750 W). We came down with bronchitis and Elaine did not feel like sitting in The shade of the awning. Doctor had told her to keep inside. Doctor visit cost us 26 persons ($1.25).
Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:49 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Cundiff View Post
Still beach in Yucatan. Had to use a/c a lot today and used combination of solar (1100 W) and the local power (750 W). We came down with bronchitis and Elaine did not feel like sitting in The shade of the awning. Doctor had told her to keep inside. Doctor visit cost us 26 persons ($1.25).
Reed and Elaine
wow, $1.26 a visit, can't beat it. hope your wife has a speedy recovery!!
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:14 AM   #7
IC2

Kinda counter productive for the article originator. He says he has a 7000 watt Cummins generator but would rather not hear it run out in the wilderness. Uhhhhh - Mr Wynn, what are you doing in that much vaunted wilderness area, sitting in the so-called comfort of the a/c instead of outside enjoying the atmosphere? You can't hear the sounds of nature anyhow with an a/c or so rattlin' away. Find a CG, plug in then turn on the a/c. A nature area is just down the road anywhere you wish if you feel the need to commune.

I get it with solar panels for many things while doing boondocking as we had a couple big panels on our last 5er. They were there so we could enjoy some lights and possibly a couple other 110vac items like a fan, not to a/c the trailer.

To each his own though, as usual
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:16 PM   #8

As full-timers and 90% of the time boon-dockers (we are dry camping more or less in Yucatan), A/C is nice but not a necessity but we have used it down here when it gets over 90. We either go north or higher in elevation as "Goldilockers". We generally hike about, Elaine likes to fish and photograph, and I do a bit of bird-watching. We are not in the 5th wheel during the day. May just set up hammocks and read. However, if it has been really hot, then it is nice to turn on the A/C for an hour in the early evening to cool down the sleeping area and/or the main cabin to watch a BBC Mystery Theater on DVD. We have not used our 1 kW generator once in three years except to make sure it is running every 3 or 4 months.
Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:25 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Lithium batteries seem to be the key word to running A/C's without plugin. They are really expensive and not many people use them in RV's.
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar