Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2015, 11:07 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
RV show - something missing?

Not quite a rant but.....the Fall RV show will be starting here in Portland in a day or two. While I usually look forward to it and attend, it seems to me that other than dealers and the RV manufacturers themselves the industry tends to be under-represented.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing the various manufacturer's offerings in person and having a chance to actually climb in and look around. And there's usually a respectable selection of just about all the major players.

The thing is, I'm really not likely to ever be a serious shopper for a new rig. Just can't see spending the $200k plus to replace what I have now. But I'm still a consumer, I spend a lot - we probably all do - on various products to maintain, repair and upgrade our rigs.

And therein lies the problem. While there are wall-to-wall RVs filling the event venue, there is very little in the way of representatives from the rest of the industry. What am I talking about? Pick up a copy of Motorhome or Trailer Life magazine. See all those ads? Except for the RV manufacturers, it's those companies I'd like to see represented at the shows. Give us a chance to talk to them directly, see some of their stuff first hand, maybe have some special promotions and so forth.

Where are the Roadmaster, Camco, Dometic and Lippert booths? Maybe it's different where you are. Portland is a small market when compared with cities like LA...we tend to get the dregs on big shows and events.

One last bit of cheese to go with the whine: at the show the RVs tend to be parked nose to tail very tight. No chance to look in engine or generator compartments, or to see much of anything on the street side compartments.

Anybody else have similar gripes?
Sneelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2015, 11:09 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, I wanted to go just for the vendors, but the list is pretty short. I like looking at new rigs but since we just got our present one less than a year ago there isn't much to see.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:36 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I guess every year there is a new generation of buyers coming to the shows. We bought new last year, so not quite enough interest here to go. But I agree it's a great idea to have more vendors, and it does seem odd, given we have to depend on the Internet for info and even order much of the products online. There are a lot of products that could bring a larger audience!
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:42 PM   #4

If you think Portland's is bad try the Salem one. I agree though, when I go to the boat show at least I get a fair number of after market vendors too.
sinnettc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:03 AM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Actually I have gone to the Salem show a couple of times. You're right that it's smaller but not much if any worse. At least I didn't have to pay eight bucks to park and another ten or so each to get in - was able to use promo coupons each time.

It's kinda ironic really. The vendors we all want to see don't show those like vitamix and preppers and the other similar products can always be counted on to make an appearance even though they don't have anything to do with RVs really.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:05 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
BTW PeaceOwl you have what I think is the perfect rig.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:05 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Went to the Salem show a few years ago, mainly to meet up with old friends and talk! Not much there that year and only one Type A that I was even interested in looking inside.
That show is also the one (years ago) where a salesman wouldn't open an Alpine for us to look at saying "That's a $200,000 motorhome!". Uh OK, so we bought our Dutch Stars instead!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:12 AM   #8

Spartan Chassis
Serves him right Mr D. Can't imagine going to the trouble to drive the thing up from Coburg or wherever and then not want to show it. Probably did you a favor. I'm sure you love the Magna though.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:05 AM   #9

I agree about the RV Shows. Even the large Hershey, PA RV Show was light on the vendors we wanted to talk with. We did see plenty of coaches we couldn't afford
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:20 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Vendors have to pay big $$$ for a small space. If they can't break even or make a profit for what they are selling. Then they don't come back the next year.

So it may be RV show is charging them too much $$$ to be there.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:20 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yep, I wanted to go just for the vendors, but the list is pretty short. I like looking at new rigs but since we just got our present one less than a year ago there isn't much to see.
That describes the Atlanta GA show last time I went. Lots of RV's of assorted types.. Dang few vendors of accessories.. I was looking for a specific item.. and generally shopping for "Goodies" but the only "Goodies" were ediables (a few food vendors exhibited) Like Polish Sausage, Hamburger, hot dog that kind of ediable.

I basically came home with an empty bag.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:58 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We go to the Chicago show every few years or so, if for no other reason than to get out of the house in February,
Ninety percent of the show is always travel trailers and popups, with a smattering of Class A, B, and Cs. The vendors are overwhelmingly private campgrounds from Wisconsin and Michigan. Very few equipment vendors.
I swore I wouldn't go next time, but when cabin fever sets in I waffle.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:25 AM   #13
IC2

I attend several large car shows a year as well as my local RV shows and in both cases, very few vendors and getting fewer every year. I also 'do' a couple car show swap meets with my surplus treasures fto sell. If it's a three day show, I need to make in the neighborhood of $700 just to pay my own meager expenses - no helper/wife - which is a lot of 'product'. A commercial vendor at any show will pay a lot more for commercial space, a salary and benefits for however many employees he has manning the booth plus travel, food and accommodations which again, spells a bunch of money from his bottom line for quite a limited sales audience.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:26 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
We tried to get to the Hershey show every other year for many years, but the last few the vendor area was at least 50% Camping World. I guess they have deep pockets and buy the sponsorship. But it is irritating to those of us who do not want to deal the Goliath.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote