Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2014, 07:20 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I also found as I age that bad leg cramps happen more on the ground in a tent than in a bed. I really hate this 'aging' thing......
If you notice in my 1st photo above and these photos, I no longer crawl around on the ground. Hammock camping has extended my camping and backpacking life, for at least a few more years. "Sleep like a banana?" you might say, or "I'm a side sleeper". The hammock is asymmetrical, and by laying slightly diagonal, it flattens out like a bed. There are no pressure points. I am one of the biggest side sleepers ever, but for some reason do not feel the need to roll around in a hammock. When I get up in the morning, fully refreshed, I sling around and slip my shoes, while sitting in the hammock. No more crawling in/out of a tent. Then, while enjoying a nice cup of coffee, I watch the theatrics of the tenters crawling miserably out of their tents, looking like Quasimodo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0668.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	325.1 KB
ID:	61692   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0153.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	61693  

Name:	IMG_1149.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	61694   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0182.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	61695  

2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2014, 05:46 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Roughing it to me is parking in a wooded campsite and the Satalite dish won't come in and I can't watch the Brewers. Jim
Old 04-29-2014, 10:37 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Roughing it to me is parking in a wooded campsite and the Satalite dish won't come in and I can't watch the Brewers. Jim
I suspect I will be there some day, but I aint ready yet.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:45 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
I tent camped for many years, hiking the AT, canoeing lots of different rivers, snorkeling in the Keys etc. As I got older, my body suffered more and more from nights on the ground and I moved on to a pop-up and now a motorhome. I remember the tent camping days fondly, but I enjoy the comforts now.
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:09 AM   #47

We were tent campers for many years, backpacking, and canoe and kayak camping. Finally bought a high top B camper van and found the "always packed and ready to go on a whim" a big advantage over spending hours packing and making sure everything was ready each time. Being able to leave at a moments notice, arrive after dark and in the poring rain, and having a dry place to sleep became a huge plus with our busy work schedules.

The B is gone and we have a 27' C now that still hauls our camping gear and pulls our boats. We do mostly day canoe trips but still have the all the tent gear packed as on occasion I will use the C as base camp and paddle off to a remote campsite for an overnight in the tent. We are lucky as upstate New York is filled with places within a few hours drive (Adirondacks, Catskills, Finger Lakes) to hike, canoe and kayak and there are thousands of campsites on the water.

We still consider ourselves campers and the RV is set up for boondocking which we prefer over RV parks. To us most RV parks are like hotels and we only use them to overnight when traveling.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
It's a no brainer for me today. It is thundering, pouring rain as I sit here in my recliner. Cat and dog are happy to be warm and dry. Hubby taking a nap in our queen size bed. Life is good.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
As an avid tenter for many decades, it's like this:

A couple a of years ago, I said I would NEVER, EVER own an RV. No way, even if you gave me one... Bad for the environment, too many starving people in the world, etc., etc. Heck, a couple of years ago, I couldn't even spell RV!

Then two summers ago we rented a travel trailer in a campground in Oregon. We thought that it was a very cool experience. A couple of months after that, we thought we would casually walk around a local RV dealer's lot. Mission - to just see what this RV hype was all about. Lo and behold, we walked away owning our first TT. They had such a smokin' end of the season deal, we couldn't refuse.

Two years late, we're on our second TT and about to get our third! We totally love the RV-ing experience and all the conveniences that go with it.
This is too funny!

The coupla' times I "camped" I HATED it...the no bathroom, the icky, sticky all-I-want-to-do-is-take-a-shower the next morning, the burned, tasteless camp food, yada, yada.

And like myredracer here...I couldn't even spell RV. I didn't know they existed...until I went to a CA dog show for the first time, back in the early 80s. The light bulb went on. Yes...I got into that awful, unethical dog-showing thing...but learned my lesson after 5 years, and have been an advocate for rescue ever since. But, the lesson here for me was I learned how to RV and never looked back.

But I didn't totally give up on tent camping believe it or not...during a longish decade where I didn't have an RV I bought a tent, and me and teenaged DD back in 03' decided to go to a Williams, AZ KOA to set up, with the plan of seeing the Grand Canyon, and do some horse-back riding. In March of that year. Yeah...you guessed it...that first night the temps dropped to 22 degrees. We did not sleep at all...not to mention the numerous treks to the bathroom (when I get cold...well, you know...).
The next day we drove to a Walmart in Flag and bought a space heater...slept like babies that night, I tell ya! Good thing we had an electric hook-up space!

Well...that tent never got used again. I finally sold it and all the stuff that went with it 2 years ago. LOL...after we had bought a TT!

Now I've got a MH...don't care for TTs too much, when I gotta operate them by myself.
traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS View Post
Been away from the computer too long. I missed this fun discussion.

RV is still sitting, forlorn, torn up, new refrigerator in the aisle, bathroom offline, there is a new problem with a floor in the back room, hubby tore the fabric on the passenger seat dragging the new refrigerator over it without help-- he will not let me pay any of the young persons to help him.

Ah well, maybe I should look into something small I could tow to events. I want a bed and a bathroom, do not care about cooking in it, prefer to join in with my fellow SCAdians for meals. If the RV renovation ever gets done it will be wonderful.

Awwwweee...I hear you.

Sigh....I have a friend...my Dad's best friend, actually. He bought an old MH, with the idea of fixing it up. Well, it's been being "fixed up" for about 4 years now. His wife has resigned herself to the fact that they will never actually use it. I feel bad for them...especially when I come visit in my new-to-me MH. And you can't say anything to this man...no criticisms..constructive or otherwise.

When I shopped for my MH, I learned quickly that buying an old one was a tricky business to say the least. I learned that today...RV parts are (unless it's Winnebego, or one of the old established brands) hard to find after 4 - 6 years. I also learned that when planning to fix up an RV...it's a lot like fixing up an old house...the problems start mounting as you peel off layer after layer...it can get overwhelming. If it was me...and I had the $$ I would just gut the thing and put all new. But many believe they can just fix everything...like my friend. And like your husband...he gets sidetracked and does other projects instead of continually working on the RV. I suspect it's because he gets a sense of accomplishment from actually completing those other projects.

But you are onto something...get something YOU want that you can afford...that is in good working order. That's how I ended up with my MH. We have a TT (it's for sale now...lol!), but DH rigged it so it's impossible for me to use it by myself...plus it can only be pulled with HIS truck, which he needs all the time. And, I want to road travel WAY more than he does. So...I went out last summer and bought my own MH.

Yes, he got mad at first, but he saw my POV eventually, and even installed my tow-bar system for my tow-car for me in time for my first cross-country trip last year.

Don't give up
traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #51

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
If you notice in my 1st photo above and these photos, I no longer crawl around on the ground. Hammock camping has extended my camping and backpacking life, for at least a few more years. "Sleep like a banana?" you might say, or "I'm a side sleeper". The hammock is asymmetrical, and by laying slightly diagonal, it flattens out like a bed. There are no pressure points. I am one of the biggest side sleepers ever, but for some reason do not feel the need to roll around in a hammock. When I get up in the morning, fully refreshed, I sling around and slip my shoes, while sitting in the hammock. No more crawling in/out of a tent. Then, while enjoying a nice cup of coffee, I watch the theatrics of the tenters crawling miserably out of their tents, looking like Quasimodo.
You carry mosquito netting with I hope!
Old 05-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
You carry mosquito netting with I hope!
Mosquito netting included.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0652-R.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	62341  
Old 05-10-2014, 12:05 AM   #53

We started out in tents, went to a camper, pop-up, travel trailer, 5th wheel, toy hauler, and then motorhomes. got tired of launching the boat with the MH so last year thought we'd tent so sold the MH. Well only took one trip to realize I don't enjoy tents as much as I used to Have another MH for this season!!! We don't spend much time in it but for cooking and sleeping you just can't beat it...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote