Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RVing is still worth it!

I've been running the numbers for our upcoming trip to Mississippi and New Orleans. Here's what I found:

Assuming worst case gas is $5/gall (I hope not! )

2500 miles / 10.1 mpg (avg) = 248 gallons @ $5/gall = $1240.00
campground 7 nights = $144.00
Dinner out 2 nights = $100.
Total = $1484.00

Sounds outrageous, doesn't it? Until you compare what it would cost to take a comparable vacation sans motorhome:

2500 miles / 30 mpg (Ford Focus avg) = 83 gallons @ $5/gall = $415
plus 9 nights hotel = $125/night (avg) = $1125
plus 27 meals ( 2 people) @$40/day = $400
total = $1940.00

Plus the convenience of sleeping in your own bed without having to worry about bedbugs......that's gotta be worth something!
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post

Plus the convenience of sleeping in your own bed without having to worry about bedbugs......that's gotta be worth something!

...priceless!
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
One thing I noticed about your cost comparison is that In the RV scenario you do not list the cost of groceries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I've been running the numbers for our upcoming trip to Mississippi and New Orleans. Here's what I found:

Assuming worst case gas is $5/gall (I hope not! )

2500 miles / 10.1 mpg (avg) = 248 gallons @ $5/gall = $1240.00
campground 7 nights = $144.00
Dinner out 2 nights = $100.
Total = $1484.00

Sounds outrageous, doesn't it? Until you compare what it would cost to take a comparable vacation sans motorhome:

2500 miles / 30 mpg (Ford Focus avg) = 83 gallons @ $5/gall = $415
plus 9 nights hotel = $125/night (avg) = $1125
plus 27 meals ( 2 people) @$40/day = $400
total = $1940.00

Old 03-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
To me it is not about the costs of rving, it is about the enjoyment I get from it and the meeting of great folks along life's highway. Most of us are very mindful of costs and try to save wherever possible. But I hope to continue my travels for a long time.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny367 View Post
One thing I noticed about your cost comparison is that In the RV scenario you do not list the cost of groceries.
Diane and I just had a "discussion" about that. My argument is we would spend that money at home for food anyway so it's a non-issue. Six of one, half-dozen of the other.......
Old 03-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonine View Post
To me it is not about the costs of rving, it is about the enjoyment I get from it and the meeting of great folks along life's highway. Most of us are very mindful of costs and try to save wherever possible. But I hope to continue my travels for a long time.
EXACTLY!
Old 03-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
DW & I eat out way to often. Wish we could do it on $40 a day. More like $30 a meal on avg for 2 adults. Preparing our own meals and buying groceries would be much cheaper. At the stick house we buy a month at a time and spend about $400. Given the fact that we are only there about 3 of the 4 weeks each month.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny367
I don't figure in groceries as I would have to buy them if I stayed home. Plus we eat in more on the road ( love to grill ) and that saves money.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #9

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
^x2. The cost of fuel may make us plan ahead a little bit more, but it will not stop us from rving.
booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Same here! It's a lifestyle, a way of life, and even with raising gas prices, it's still far cheaper than the cost of rent. I can live (parked) for 6 months in my MH on $2,000 - one month rent (apartment) in this area is $1,800 per month, not including utilities. I could only live in an apartment for 1/2 a month, on the same amount of money I can live in a MH for 6 months.

Of course once you start driving from place to place you have to add gas prices to that, but still, even that comes out cheaper than an apartment AND in a MH you get to choose your neighbors, and if you don't like your neighbors, all you have to do is start your engine and drive to a new parking space! How many apartments can you do THAT in? LOL!

You can change location at will without giving a 30 day notice and hireing a U-Haul too. Want to live on a beach today? Fine, just start the engine and drive to the beach, now you live on beachfront property without paying the $1,000 a week rent at a dingy motel. Want to go skiing? Drive your house to the mountains. No moving trucks, no waiting for the landlord to say you can go...in short: FREEDOM! You have the freedom to come and go as you please, where you please, when you please.

That's what this lifestyle is all about: FREEDOM...and you can't put a price on that!
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On the rv experience you may want to add the cost of the moho as well. Can't forget insurance, maintenance, storage etc. I know that may be nitpicking but it all figures in. In our case we wouldn't do it any other was regardless. Even when we traveled with our Tahoe before the motorhome days that was not comfortable for the wife (and that is one comfortable ride at least for me). Staying in motels then, NAH to that too now. Love the convenience of our coach and serves our needs to the max.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #12

When we first started traveling by motor home we thought nothing about driving across country. I never thought I'd change the way I travel because of fuel prices. However, at today's prices it cost me about $5,000 in diesel and it takes a week to drive each way. We now park the motor home, jump on plane and stay in the nicest resorts all for less money than my gas bill alone. I love my motor home. However, we've reached a point where some trips just don't make any sense for us.
vegascouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
For me, forget all this cost stuff. RVing is a way of life decision. Simple as that. Everyone chooses how they will spend their time. Every choice has costs/benefits associated with it. The value of the decision must be made by each of us.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I just can't imagine staying in hotels again. I love the RV lifestyle, meeting your neighbors, sharing a meal, a campfire, etc. My own bedbug free bed is a real plus. But I think the biggest advantage is we are able to have our dog and cat with us 24/7.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving