Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2016, 07:33 AM   #29

I've watched a few video's of rv's being built and it almost looks as if it was filmed in slow motion then ran at normal speed! What is the rush? Is there that much of a waiting list for new units? Wonder if it looks that way on in person factory tours? Rv show coming up this week locally which we might stop in and see what's new.
dmstepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2016, 07:49 AM   #30

We just went to the Orlando RV show just to see some of the units. Of the class a's we saw, some looked to be really well built while others were of lesser quality. It didn't seem to matter the vendor. I saw some Tiffin's that were very nice, but also a few that seemed less well built. The Newmar's were also of varying quality.

At this point, we will probably be sticking with our 1996 Winnebago Adventurer until it no longer makes economic sense.

After that, I will go used again and try to choose an early to mid 2000's higher end coach in the hopes of buying quality at a price I can afford.

Rick and Jessica
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:56 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1flr View Post
We just went to the Orlando RV show just to see some of the units. Of the class a's we saw, some looked to be really well built while others were of lesser quality. It didn't seem to matter the vendor. I saw some Tiffin's that were very nice, but also a few that seemed less well built. The Newmar's were also of varying quality.

At this point, we will probably be sticking with our 1996 Winnebago Adventurer until it no longer makes economic sense.

After that, I will go used again and try to choose an early to mid 2000's higher end coach in the hopes of buying quality at a price I can afford.

Rick and Jessica
That is a good idea but I had a 97 Adventurer and the difference in power, brakes and all around chassis was a huge improvement from the older coach and this new coach to me is built just as good as the older one. A lot has to do with the maker and the model and I think Winnebago still is a decent manufacturer.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:08 AM   #32

My 2004 Jayco sounds pretty good !

After reading all these I do not even have my unit yet, but convinced I made a good choice. Just the solid feeling this unit has. We also went to the Big Show in January Cleveland just to look and was sadly or should I say not impressed !
Bu t yest that does nor meany everyone,but as far as Hybrids they felt cheap and way too many fancy things... to each his own
geostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:13 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Sad but true! I think some of them are built just good enough not to fall apart until they drive off the dealer lot! I've always heard that you get what you pay for. Well, sometimes I thing you DON'T get what you pay for!
Yes, you are so right. We've been to about twenty RV shows and visited about forty RV dealers. They ALL say they fix all the stuff during their PDI. Well, the RV either left the factory in poor shape or it fell apart during the delivery - neither of which are a good scenario.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Brian W
If an RV is not built well enough to hold up for 2-3 days while on display it certainly will not hold up for years and miles of use.
Me thinks if RVs where built with quality in the first place fewer things would break if/when potential customers pull on, or let their kids climb on, (aka: USE), things in/on RVs displayed at RV shows.
Mel
'96 Safari, (146k miles)
We agree. The argument that so much traffic from being in an RV show makes for wear and tear is crap. The many visitors didn't cause the slide to fail, or the gaskets to fall off, or the light fixture to hang down. When an RV can't handle the show traffic it doesn't bode well for several years of use.

We've had several hundred thousand dollars burning a hole in our pockets for several years now. We want an RV so much. But EVERY ONE we've seen has issues.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:50 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
We agree. The argument that so much traffic from being in an RV show makes for wear and tear is crap. The many visitors didn't cause the slide to fail, or the gaskets to fall off, or the light fixture to hang down. When an RV can't handle the show traffic it doesn't bode well for several years of use.

We've had several hundred thousand dollars burning a hole in our pockets for several years now. We want an RV so much. But EVERY ONE we've seen has issues.
That amount will burn a big hole so you better spend it on one and enjoy it while you can because they are not going to change much from what they have been. Get one, fix things if needed and have some fun in it.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #36
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
wnytaxman - Whenever I read a thread like this it always seems to come down to kind of an old rig snobishness. It's similar to the Tiffin guy saying that Newmars are junk or Entegras are bad or whatever will justify their own purchases. I've had older rigs and I've had newer rigs and I've looked at brand new rigs and the improvements over the years are huge. The safety, handling, comfort, and just enjoyment factors are so much better in the newer rigs.

I'm glad you enjoy your rigs but we who have newer rigs enjoy ours too. If you would like to think we bought junk, well, that's your prerogative. I've had old and I've had new and I'll take new anytime and every time.
I agree with your post 100%. I find it funny how people are complaining about how cheaply something is built, yet they buy it anyway. If you want a better coach, buy a better coach. If people quit price shopping and started quality shopping, the RV manufacturers would be forced into making better coaches. There are great NEW coaches out there, you just have to be willing to pay for the quality.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #37

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
The biggest change through the years I've seen is the use of veneers & plastics. Our trusty old 2000 Dutch Star has solid wood, beautiful oak, and no veneers throughout. The one thing I would do if I was keeping her is up grade the countertops with either granite or quartz. I'm not sure how the veneers & plastics are going to hold up through the years, only time will tell. All I can say is that there's been no deterioration of the solid wood in our 16yr. old coach.
If you had the hard wood interior then it was an upgrade from the standard "woodwork". We had a 2000 3865 and 2002 4090 DSDP, in both we ordered the optional hardwood interior. In the '02 I think it was a $3,300 option and worth the price.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:13 PM   #38

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
More split wood hidden underneath stuff than you can imagine.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:21 AM   #39

Let's not kid ourselves. Quality = MONEY

Better materials, more labor, .........so if one is looking for quality, one has to pony up some serious bucks, and shop top of the RV lineup. Coaches like that are out there. Cheap stuff is just that,....cheap. Cheaply made, from inferior materials, rushed through to save man hours.......

Two friends we have decided to buy a new coach. It was not "top", but it was still over half mil. I will not say which one, because it might've been a fluke (lemon). They took it from NorCal East (with intention of reaching Michigan), and NEVER made it! Broke down in Vegas, and left the coach for three weeks at the dealer. Flew back (vacation was over), and pick the coach up three weeks later. Of course it was under warranty, and except the hotels, airline fares, return trip to pick her up, and ruined vacation, it didn't cost them a dime.

It MIGHT be sorted out now,.......but who knows.

We decided we want quality. We detest press boards and plywood, plastic and Formica, fake leather, "swipe&swirl" decals.........and we don't care about gas mileage (weight of the coach). We also decided we will not finance, or liquidate assets to buy an RV (cash purchase only).

So we looked at used. Vintage to be precise. We are kind of people that long for the times gone by.

We found one owner 40' 1995 Vogue Prima Vista with 100K on the clock, in PRISTINE condition. It has everything we want, it's unique looking (in today's world), and it's exquisitely made. It didn't break the bank either. We will easily put another 10-15K miles on it, with minimal expenditure for her upkeep (she is in really good condition, and aside from regular services, won't need anything). We will be sleeping in it while we are building the house, and take her out on weekend trips in the Pacific Northwest (we are about to leave SoCal for good).

She is 21 years old this year, but parked next to much newer coaches, she comes out as a winner.

This coach was originally sold for $375K back in 1995 (we have original window stickers, all paperwork, logbook, and all service records). That's what quality costs. Try to figure out what is this amount in today's money, and one can easily see in what price range the quality comes in.

Things haven't changed that much. Quality is still out there, if one is willing to pay for it. What changed is computers, gadgets, swirly paint, plastic, laminate, fake leather, and even "high line" coaches are full of these new materials (they all want to save on weight/gas mileage), and if that's one's cup of tea,....no harm no foul. We just like old workmanship, and undisputed quality.
Danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #40

$375K in 1995 = $583k in 2015

From the US Inflation Calculator.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:24 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielsand View Post
Let's not kid ourselves. Quality = MONEY
Better materials, more labor, .........so if one is looking for quality, one has to pony up some serious bucks, and shop top of the RV lineup. Coaches like that are out there. Cheap stuff is just that,....cheap. Cheaply made, from inferior materials, rushed through to save man hours.......
Two friends we have decided to buy a new coach. It was not "top", but it was still over half mil. I will not say which one, because it might've been a fluke (lemon). They took it from NorCal East (with intention of reaching Michigan), and NEVER made it! Broke down in Vegas, and left the coach for three weeks at the dealer. Flew back (vacation was over), and pick the coach up three weeks later. Of course it was under warranty, and except the hotels, airline fares, return trip to pick her up, and ruined vacation, it didn't cost them a dime.
It MIGHT be sorted out now,.......but who knows.
We decided we want quality. We detest press boards and plywood, plastic and Formica, fake leather, "swipe&swirl" decals.........and we don't care about gas mileage (weight of the coach). We also decided we will not finance, or liquidate assets to buy an RV (cash purchase only).
So we looked at used. Vintage to be precise. We are kind of people that long for the times gone by.
We found one owner 40' 1995 Vogue Prima Vista with 100K on the clock, in PRISTINE condition. It has everything we want, it's unique looking (in today's world), and it's exquisitely made. It didn't break the bank either. We will easily put another 10-15K miles on it, with minimal expenditure for her upkeep (she is in really good condition, and aside from regular services, won't need anything). We will be sleeping in it while we are building the house, and take her out on weekend trips in the Pacific Northwest (we are about to leave SoCal for good)
She is 21 years old this year, but parked next to much newer coaches, she comes out as a winner.
This coach was originally sold for $375K back in 1995 (we have original window stickers, all paperwork, logbook, and all service records). That's what quality costs. Try to figure out what is this amount in today's money, and one can easily see in what price range the quality comes in.
Things haven't changed that much. Quality is still out there, if one is willing to pay for it. What changed is computers, gadgets, swirly paint, plastic, laminate, fake leather, and even "high line" coaches are full of these new materials (they all want to save on weight/gas mileage), and if that's one's cup of tea,....no harm no foul. We just like old workmanship, and undisputed quality.
Danielsand
It is sad indeed when over "half a mil" can't buy a quality coach.
What's even more sad is the fact that people buy them.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:21 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Whenever I read a thread like this it always seems to come down to kind of an old rig snobishness. It's similar to the Tiffin guy saying that Newmars are junk or Entegras are bad or whatever will justify their own purchases. I've had older rigs and I've had newer rigs and I've looked at brand new rigs and the improvements over the years are huge. The safety, handling, comfort, and just enjoyment factors are so much better in the newer rigs.

I'm glad you enjoy your rigs but we who have newer rigs enjoy ours too. If you would like to think we bought junk, well, that's your prerogative. I've had old and I've had new and I'll take new anytime and every time.
I couldn't agree more. You nailed it. We laughed out loud at some of the comments here. So much worry about what other people have. They can love their RV and I will love mine.