Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2016, 03:53 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Sad view of new units

We recently went to an RV show in town, we have an '89 Vintage Class C Motor home that we love. We go just to see what is going on in the industry. I was truly amazed at some of the junk out there that the manufacturers are selling. One unit we looking at had overhead cabinets and the doors where put on crooked, not falling down from driving but actually installed wrong. Bunk houses with beds that pull up to sit on the couch and latches missing so the bed sits cock-eyed when tilted up. Latches on doors that were broken off because they were put on with such small screws they pulled out. As for me, I'll stick with my old vintage unit that is built like a mack truck.
RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2016, 04:32 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't like the new ones I have seen either. They are too fancy for me and I never have liked leather.

Too many fancy items to break down and way too much money for lack of quality. I'll stay with my 2004 Winnie
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:34 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am also blessed with the perfect one for me. I would not trade it for anything. I am not saying it is best in the world. Just perfect for me!
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Seems more and more people don't like today's leather.
Just not the quality of an old Caddie or Lincoln.
Anybody have any ideas what has changed in the leather industry?

It is sad what we see in the show rooms.
I recently tried out a 2016 Jeep Cherokee and made a comment to a salesman that I did not like the leather seats, he said but check out the features of the stereo!
Didn't buy the Cherokee bought a used Liberty, only because they couldn't find a Cherokee with cloth seats and a transmission that could be flat towed.
I feel it will only get worse.
I am keeping my 1998 Triple E and my 2006 Liberty.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:44 AM   #5

When wintering in Fl. we've gone to the Tampa RV show a number of times thinking we might buy. But each time we've come away saying that a lot of so called quality units are cutting too many corners. Shoddy workmanship, and little or no quality control. So we just keep motoring down the road in our trusty 2000 DSDP.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:50 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Sad but true! I think some of them are built just good enough not to fall apart until they drive off the dealer lot! I've always heard that you get what you pay for. Well, sometimes I thing you DON'T get what you pay for!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
As has been said on here numerous times before, you are much better off buying an RV a couple of years old. In addition to not losing all the depreciation value, the bugs should be worked out.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Bought a 2005 Dolphin recently the quality and feel on the inside is nice. No cheap leather, smeather or what ever they call it but a nice upholstered couch and booth with a nice table top. Nice matching valances and corian counter tops with nice cabinetry.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBeau1954 View Post
We recently went to an RV show in town, we have an '89 Vintage Class C Motor home that we love. We go just to see what is going on in the industry. I was truly amazed at some of the junk out there that the manufacturers are selling. One unit we looking at had overhead cabinets and the doors where put on crooked, not falling down from driving but actually installed wrong. Bunk houses with beds that pull up to sit on the couch and latches missing so the bed sits cock-eyed when tilted up. Latches on doors that were broken off because they were put on with such small screws they pulled out. As for me, I'll stick with my old vintage unit that is built like a mack truck.
This may be true for some makes and models but I don't think it pertains to all of them. I too have seen some junk when we were looking but there is some good quality out there also.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
This may be true for some makes and models but I don't think it pertains to all of them. I too have seen some junk when we were looking but there is some good quality out there also.
X2 totally agree! RV's would not be selling the way they are if they were all crap. There is some total crap out there. But I won't lump all new RV's in that bucket
Old 01-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBeau1954 View Post
RBeau1954
IMO the reason there is poor quality throughout the RV industry is because people keep buying poor quality RVs.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:29 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I won't say they are "all" crap, however, being a retired supply chain manager with a large global company, let me explain how purchasing/ sourcing works.Not just at my company, but 98% of all big companies.

You set down and develop next years budget, goals, and objectives. For years now the number one goal is to achieve "X%" cost reduction. The first year pretty easy, the second year a little tougher, the third year a bear. So imagine year four, five etc. what happens....quality gets compromised. And oh by the way, the second year you don't achieve your goals, you are fired.

So is quality compromised, you bet it is.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
I won't say they are "all" crap, however, being a retired supply chain manager with a large global company, let me explain how purchasing/ sourcing works.Not just at my company, but 98% of all big companies.

You set down and develop next years budget, goals, and objectives. For years now the number one goal is to achieve "X%" cost reduction. The first year pretty easy, the second year a little tougher, the third year a bear. So imagine year four, five etc. what happens....quality gets compromised. And oh by the way, the second year you don't achieve your goals, you are fired.

DGBPokes

Sadly greed always trump's quality.... that's the "American Way"... (especially when it comes to RVs).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post

Absolutely, I have sat on that side of the table also.
It is much easier to sell on price than it is on quality so the goal is to compete on price.
Unfortunately, the public has been conditioned to accept lesser quality for the sake of price. And then complain bitterly when it all falls apart.